PDA

View Full Version : System for 3D (and other stuff)

kiri
03-26-2003, 01:47 PM
hey,
Im currently in my final year of Uni, and im doing lots of 3D stuff (in maya). So, im kinda lookin into a new system to deal with it.
Can anyone give me some recommendations or send me in the right direction for some easy info??

It doesnt need to be fully hardcore system, just be able to deal with maya with some speed.

my current system cant really handle it (pIII 933, 256mb RAM, ASUS geforce2 MX 32,... )

Im wonderin if i can possibly upgrade? or need to do a whole system overhaul?

what do people recommend in terms of graphics card especially?
also, how necessary is dual processor? and how much ram does maya like?
thanks for any help heaps!!
ki

Signal2Noise
03-26-2003, 03:03 PM
Easy, go to the Maya System Requirements (http://www.aliaswavefront.com/en/Tmpl/Maya/html/index.jhtml?page=/en/Community/Support/qualified_hardware/qualified_hardware_m.html&style=normal) and check out the details of what you need. You could also talk to your university IT folk and see what they recommend.

A rule of thumb I use is for whatever system requirements an app needs always double up on the stated RAM and get the largest monitor you can afford with minimum being 19". And I'd stick with a CRT over LCD. But that's just me.

Your system isn't bad as far as CPU speed is concerned. You may want to consider getting at least 512MB RAM in or as much as the mobo will hold. Also you may want to get a beefier video card. Do a search on these forums and you'll find lots of suggestions.

Good luck and happy upgrading! :)

kiri
03-26-2003, 03:13 PM
thanks,
i know about the sys requirements on the web site, but i dont wanna just know the minimums, but what will run maya nicely, and also experiences people have had with hardware.

but thanks for your advice.
is 933 really fast enough for doing some heavy work in maya?

also, has anyone had experience using ASUS video cards? thats what my motherboard is as well, so im figuring it might be good to stay same company for compatibility...

thanks again!

ki

elvis
03-26-2003, 10:31 PM
for uni students i generally recommend a single processor athlon system with a geforce4 based card. that should see you through most of your studies.

where abouts in australia are you studying? if it's brisbane i can give you a hand sourcing parts.

kiri
03-27-2003, 09:09 AM
Yeah im in brisbane :)
small world aye

im at QUT (communication design)

id love some help sourcing parts if you have the time :thumbsup:

e: ki@eatyourpets.com

thanks heaps
ki

:D

elvis
03-27-2003, 12:06 PM
nice one. i'll send you an email tomorrow with a few recommendations and some prices. i know a few distributors around brisbane so i can probably get you some mates rates with a bit of schmoozing.

always glad to help a fellow cgtalker. :)

i did my CompSci degree at UQ. they didn't have any CG electives back when i was studying, which is a real shame. i wish i had the time now to get into it more as an artist rather than spend all my time on the admin side of things.

still, it's a nice feeling being able to set these things up for the artists. i guess we all do our bit. :)

kiri
03-27-2003, 12:17 PM
thanks mate!
that'd be excellent!
greatly appreciated

if possible, id like to try and upgrade my current system without breakin the bank on a whole new one...
unfortunatly i have no idea what companies are good for hardware these days (ive been in japan for the last year)

actually im going to UQ tomorrow ;)

anyway talk to you tomorow.

ki

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.