PDA

View Full Version : DJV Imaging 0.7.0 Beta

3rdrail
07-24-2007, 02:30 AM
Hi,

I just released a new beta version of my open-source flipbook player and imaging utilities. Features include support for extended range images and versions for both UNIX and Windows. New for this release is an OpenGL accelerated imaging pipeline and improved image I/O performance. Any feedback is always appreciated.

Thanks!

Homepage: http://djv.sourceforge.net/
Downloads: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=118244 (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=118244)

LW3D
07-24-2007, 09:24 AM
Thanks for this imaging utility. I like it.

I have an OpenEXR file with 49 channels rendered into it. can I show only one channel with viewer?

Als
07-24-2007, 10:07 AM
Does it support maya iff file format?
If not, I'm adding it to the wish list ;)
Sounds really cool, I'm looking forward to test it.
I have some shell for converting image sequences, would this be interesting to include, or you have conversion utility which sorts out image sequences?

Thanks

Als

Gunnah
07-24-2007, 05:41 PM
I think you're going to make a lot of people, very, very happy.

thank you very much!

g

actually, forgot a wishlist :P
1. playlist support (good for shot context)
2. drag and drop *in* to the player if possible
3. save option (save a cached flipbook to a mov, etc)
4. double click support for image sequences (currently you associate in windows, double click.. it loads the image, then you have to click open>>and load the sequence again)
5. like someone above said, multichannel support for exr's, etc
tks! :)

3rdrail
07-24-2007, 06:24 PM
Thanks for the replies!

@LW3D: Currently images are limited to RGBA, but I would definitely like to add support for more channels; I'll see what I can do for the next release. BTW, that's a lot of channels, you must have some monster file sizes; what do you currently use to view those images?

@Als: I'm not that familiar with IFF, but I'll check it out; does it have advantages over using something like a TGA or EXR? As far as image sequences, there's pretty decent support for them in all the utilities. For example here's how to convert an image sequence to a quicktime movie:

> djv_convert render.1-100.tga render.mov

Leading zeros also work:

> djv_convert render.0001-0100.tga render.mov

Here's how to convert image formats and renumber the sequence:

> djv_convert render.1001-2000.tga output.0001.tiff

(Note that you only have to specify the first frame of the output, the conversion will count up from there.)

@Gunnah: All good ideas; I will add them to the todo list. :)

Thanks!

djorzgul
07-25-2007, 12:04 AM
newbeeish question:

I installed debian package on ubuntu 7.04. How to start the program? :blush:

3rdrail
07-25-2007, 12:17 AM
I installed debian package on ubuntu 7.04. How to start the program?

To start the flipbook player:

> djv_view

You can also give it images on the command line:

> djv_view image.1-100.tga

There's also a couple of utility programs:

* djv_convert - Image conversion utility.
* djv_info - Image infomation utility.
* djv_ls - Directory listing utility.

To display a brief help-page for each one use the "-h" option:

> djv_info -h

Let me know if you have any other questions...

LW3D
07-25-2007, 09:29 AM
I don't know any image viewer supporting more channels other than RGBA in EXR file. I have seen alot of talk in Nuke Forums about image viewer and EXR supports. Eveybody want to look channels in EXR image easily, but there isn't any viewer. so if you put this feature in this application, it will be very popular.

http://www.fnordware.com/OpenEXR/x35_3a.exr

This is a sample OpenEXR file with 49 channels rendered into it for you to experiment with. It was created by Rob Nederhorst for use with his Nuke tutorial DVDs (http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/dvds/rne01.html)

Als
07-25-2007, 04:01 PM
Can you convert movie file to sequence of images? (is there a way to find out the number of frames?)
Is it possible to convert for example sequence with every second frame into normal sequence eg frames 1 3 5 7 9 11 13 into 1 2 3 4 5 6 7...

Als

Als
07-25-2007, 04:08 PM
[QUOTE=3rdrail]Thanks for the replies!

@Als: I'm not that familiar with IFF, but I'll check it out; does it have advantages over using something like a TGA or EXR?

/QUOTE]

This is native maya image file format and it would be nice to have it included. fcheck is very old and it's killing my graphics card from time to time...
If you know anyone with maya iff source files should be available (how to read and write the file format)
You might talk to guys at xnview as well, since this would be perfect to be included with their software, since they have loooads of image file formats supported.

Thanks

Als

3rdrail
07-25-2007, 06:08 PM
This is a sample OpenEXR file with 49 channels rendered into it for you to experiment with.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Can you convert movie file to sequence of images?

Sure:

> djv_convert input.mov output.1.tga

You only need to specify the first frame of the output; the conversion will count up from there.

(is there a way to find out the number of frames?)

> djv_info input.mov
input.mov 640x424:1.51 RGB U8 00:02:00:01@12

The time information is in the final column; that's two minutes and 1 frame, at 12 fps. You can also turn off the timecode to see just frames:

> djv_info input.mov -x_timecode
input.mov 640x424:1.51 RGB U8 1441@12

So, that's 1441 frames. You can extract a sequence of frames like:

> djv_convert input.mov output.1.tga -time 1001 1100 -x_timecode

This will extract the frames 1001-1100 and save them as TGA files. Note the "-x_timecode" option again to work with frame units instead of timecode.

I'm not entirely sure how to deal with sequences that don't have nice even frames... Maybe I can add something like:

> djv_convert input.*.tga output.1.tga

Als
07-25-2007, 11:41 PM
Well, I would like to help if I can because this tool sounds amazing.
Most of the software have number.extension format.
What I had issues with is if the program has a dot or not between the name.
input1.tga input2.tga etc.

Then there is a problem how to understand input111.tga for example,
is that
input frame 111 tga or
input1 frame 11
or input11 frame 1

Also quicktime pro adds space between like
input 1.tga, input 2.tga, etc.
which might be problem with syntax.
Also very few programs thread different step in a input and output as mentioned before.

And it will be nice to be able to just use text file with list of conversions, separated with new line to convert.

Als

3rdrail
07-26-2007, 12:49 AM
What I had issues with is if the program has a dot or not between the name.
Like input1.tga input2.tga etc.
That should work ok...

Then there is a problem how to understand input111.tga for example, is that input frame 111 tga or input1 frame 11 or input11 frame 1
Here's how the sequences work in DJV; a filename can have four parts, a path, name, number, and extension. A path always ends with a "/" and an extension always begins with a ".". A number can be either a single frame, or a range of frames with a start and end seperated by a "-", the numbers can also be padded with zeros. The parts are searched for right to left.

Filename = input111.tga
Extension = .tga
Number = 111
Name = input

This seems to be able to handle most common numbering schemes, like:

input111.tga
input.111.tga
input.00111.tga
00111.tga

There's probably a better way to do it with regular expressions, but I'm working with C++ right now so everything has to be done by hand. :)

And it will be nice to be able to just use text file with list of conversions, separated with new line to convert.
That's a good idea. Eventually I'd like the utilities to be scriptable, maybe with python bindings.

Thanks, Darby

Als
10-11-2007, 07:30 PM
Hi,
I've tried to iinstall it on SUSE 10.3.
It gives me the following error:
[ERROR] GLX Frame Buffer Configuration

Thanks

Als

3rdrail
10-11-2007, 07:44 PM
> I've tried to iinstall it on SUSE 10.3.
> It gives me the following error:
> [ERROR] GLX Frame Buffer Configuration

Hi Als,

That error means a suitable OpenGL configuration wasn't found... What video card and drivers are you using? So far I have only tested under Linux with the NVidia drivers, I don't think any of the open-source drives will work because they don't support OpenGL offscreen rendering.

Darby

CGTalk Moderation
10-11-2007, 07:44 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.