PDA

View Full Version : Dual AMD 3D Workstation

KiboOst
03-26-2003, 10:02 AM
Greetings here ,-)

I've finnally decided to change my old bi celeron500.
I'm looking for a fast dual system, and amd seems to be the cheap and performance choice (I've around 1500euros).

So, what about tha asus A7M266D ? Seems really stable, but is there a new better one ?
About which component I should take care ?

And what about the new SATA HDD ?

Thanks !

Kib

PS : I need it as a workstation (and rendering of course) for 3dsmax/combustion.

Raffaello.S.
03-26-2003, 11:23 AM
Hi, KiboOst, i just ordered a amd dual system from www.computeruniverse.net
I dont think that with 1500 euros you can build a dual system, maybe you need something more...

About the asus mb, i allrady have one , now i ordered a tyan because i read that is more stable ...

KiboOst
03-26-2003, 11:41 AM
I don't need monitor, just MB, cpu, ram, hdd, gc.
I've heard lot of bad words on tyans mbs.

KiboOst
03-26-2003, 01:50 PM
Ok, it seems that the asus 266d isn't sold anymore.
So the better one seems the tyan tiger MP or MPX, but I don't heard many good things about it. Anyone got/konw it ?

X3M
03-27-2003, 01:26 PM
I got Tyan Thunder i7505 (2665) Dual Xeon and I love it. I had a little problem with Promise RAID controller, but I think the problem was the controller, not th mob. I had exchanged it for one of the 3Ware RAID controllers and now it works perfect, so far. Besides, when I had done my research some people suggested to get AMD for 3D and XEON for video, which ever is your primary use. Also if you concerned with cost then AMD is a winner.

ChristophZollinger
03-27-2003, 01:47 PM
For 2 weeks I have now a dual Athlon 2400+ on a Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW, Radeon 9700 Pro, Western Digital 80gb system disk and mirrored raid with 2x 120gb Maxtor disks.
The system was very stable, but I had some problems because the screen resolution did a reset every time I switch off the pc.
After I made a bios update "version F4" everything runs better then best :-)
A dream machine, for rendering, video editing (I have Pinnacle´s DV500 DVD which supports dual cpu)

KiboOst
03-27-2003, 02:44 PM
Many thanks for your comments ! Didn't knew the gigabyte one :beer:

Kib

PlanetMongo
03-27-2003, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Mastermind
For 2 weeks I have now a dual Athlon 2400+ on a Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW, Radeon 9700 Pro, Western Digital 80gb system disk and mirrored raid with 2x 120gb Maxtor disks.
The system was very stable, but I had some problems because the screen resolution did a reset every time I switch off the pc.
After I made a bios update "version F4" everything runs better then best :-)
A dream machine, for rendering, video editing (I have Pinnacle´s DV500 DVD which supports dual cpu)

I've got the same card.. Yet when I insert it into the machine to install, as soon as the Graphical "Loading Windows" part finishes, the entire display goes bonkers and the machine crashes.. :( It worked fine a year or so ago with my GeForce3 Ti200 and I just put in a GF4Ti4200, so maybe there's a conflict there.. Hope to figure it out as it's a pretty nifty card.

rstratton
03-27-2003, 11:30 PM
i've been running a dual 1.2mp tyan board for over a year now and it still runs great....the tyan boards are awesome but their downfall is they are very picky.....really read the specs like what type of ram you need...and what type of graphics cards will work with it.....my roommate is running a dual 1800 on a microstar board i believe and he is really happy with it....so i don't know if that will help but there you go

solublehamster
03-29-2003, 04:43 AM
I've been running a Dual Athlon MP 2000+ for 8 months or so now.
MSI K7D Master mobo, 1 GB ddr pc2700 RAM (MPX chipset can run unregistered RAM in the first two slots), carpy gf3ti200 (looking to upgrade to parhelia 512).
Its never frozen, and only bluescreened once thanks to dodgy capturecard drivers. Not bad for being on 24/7 for 8 months.
Runs lightwave, 3dsmax perfectly, great multithreading for renders.
Price without monitor back then came to just over AUD$2000 (thats aussie dollars!), so very affordable compared to Xeons or even P4s.
Its not a 'name brand' but I handpicked every piece of hardware that went into it then bought it assembled through a pc store.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.