PDA

View Full Version : Non Linear Animation Tutorials

adam|zeliasz
07-23-2007, 07:22 PM
Are there any good tutorials to teach you non linear animation; using the mixer, setting up clips, etc? Iím surprised that there isnít any tutorials that comes with the eval version of XSI...

What about anything from Digital Tutors or Noesis Interactive? I'm specifically looking for something that focus's on character animation used for games. My only concern is that the DVD's they offer might not get in-depth on the topics Iím looking for.

Thanks.

mkapfhammer
07-24-2007, 12:37 AM
Are there any good tutorials to teach you non linear animation; using the mixer, setting up clips, etc? Iím surprised that there isnít any tutorials that comes with the eval version of XSI...

What about anything from Digital Tutors or Noesis Interactive? I'm specifically looking for something that focus's on character animation used for games. My only concern is that the DVD's they offer might not get in-depth on the topics Iím looking for.

Thanks.

http://noesisinteractive.com/index.php?x=products&y=item6

From the site...

Advanced Character Animation with SOFTIMAGE|XSIģ for Half-Lifeģ2

DVD topics covered include:
Setting up your custom character in XSI for Half-Lifeģ2 and Death Match
Creating game animations (key framing) for your character with SOFTIMAGE|XSI
Using the XSI Animation Mixer
Concepts of Motion Capture
Applying BVH motion capture data to the Valveģ Rig of your character (XSI 5.x)
Creating animation cycles from motion capture data that is provided on the DVD
Using MOTOR to transfer motion capture data to any rig (XSI 6)
Valve .QC file overview for custom characters in HL2
Triggering animation sequences on your character in Half-Lifeģ2
Retarget the default Half-Lifeģ2 - Death Match animation to your own custom characters
What version of XSI are you using?

adam|zeliasz
07-24-2007, 12:39 AM
I'm running v6, but I wasn't sure how in-depth they go on that DVD...

bravmm
07-24-2007, 10:03 AM
Try to download the XSI v5 tutorials on the Softimage website, there's a whole "workflow" on the Beck character, including some NLA tuts. I know it's not v6, but the only addition on that part is the animation layers. That even might make some parts of the tuts obsolete I guess when I think of it.... At least it should get you started in combination with the manuals.

Hope this helps,

rob

adam|zeliasz
07-24-2007, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately they didnt upload their old files to the new site yet. I'm surprised they didnt release their 1.4 GB of video tutorials for people who are evaluating the 30 day trial. How can you convert people over to XSI from other packages without having a good training foundation?

bravmm
07-24-2007, 01:16 PM
It took a bit of "digging" for me as well, but the older version of XSI and their tutorials can be found here:
http://www.softimage.com/downloads/previousVersions/default.aspx

Just select OLDER VERSIONS and scroll down to the bottom of the page to find the v5 tutorials.

cheers,

rob

adam|zeliasz
07-24-2007, 01:34 PM
Thanks so much!

bravmm
07-24-2007, 03:12 PM
I hope it will help... :)

mkapfhammer
07-24-2007, 09:10 PM
Bravmm,
That link helped me, too. Haha.
Thanks.

CGTalk Moderation
07-24-2007, 09:10 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.