PDA

View Full Version : Attaching a transform to a vertex

A-OC
07-23-2007, 12:56 PM
Hello, several times I've been in the need to attach a transform node to a vertex. I thought, i could do it in the connection editor but it doesn't work. Anyone?

Thanks.

BoostAbuse
07-23-2007, 06:30 PM
I assume you're just looking for a way of controlling that single vertex? If that's the case I'd probably say just hook a cluster up to it and re-matrix the cluster to a locator or empty null for an easier method of moving it about.

A-OC
07-23-2007, 07:08 PM
Thanks for replying. Actually it's the other way around, I want to drive the locator's motion(and orientation) through the vertex, so i could for instance, attach a button to piece of cloth, or a rig control at a specific position on the face.

Robken
07-23-2007, 09:53 PM
you should look at the follicle node, you can attach that to a surface or mesh. if you then parent your locator to that follicle, you'll have what you need.

BoostAbuse
07-23-2007, 09:54 PM
Gotcha, well in that instance you could use a rivet to fixate the locator to the position of the vert and have it follow, my suggestion would be to use a single nurbs plane as your rivet piece and a pointOnSurface node if you need the utmost control (this will allow you a large amount of flexibility operating U and V). If you want to just work directly with a poly mesh, look up the closestPointOnMesh command and plug-in which should allow you to get the desired result (more effective than a normal or geometry constraint I find).

-s

A-OC
07-24-2007, 12:26 PM
Seem interesting, I'll givem a look and see how it works. Thanks.

A-OC
07-24-2007, 12:52 PM
I found the follicle node in the docs, but how do I create it? Excuse my ignorance. Meanwhile i'll take a look at ther other solution.

*And also, how am I supposed to find that out by myself?(creating the follicle node) (it's a serious question).

BoostAbuse
07-24-2007, 07:17 PM
Follicles are part of the hair system, essentially all you have to do is generate a curve and then make it dynamic from the hair menu. This, for all intensive purposes turns the curve into a 'follicle'. If you look a bit further into the documents in Maya 8 there's a sort of indepth explanation of the hair system and a tutorial.

thematt
07-24-2007, 08:59 PM
please guys do a quick search before posting question, this is asked every week and had been answers a thousand time.
PS: if you don't have unlimited, search foor the rivet.mel Script.

cheers

A-OC
07-24-2007, 11:15 PM
Your right, I could've sworn i searched before posting. Your totally exagerating about that answer frequency though.

Posted by brentorama:
------------
select the cv at the end of your curve and go dynamics -> Emit from selected. Delete the particle, keep the emitter and that's your point constraint daddy for your claw parent. Then do a tangent constraint with the curve and the claw parent, eet shood verk no?
-------------

That is soo elegant. I' ll try that.

CGTalk Moderation
07-24-2007, 11:15 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.