PDA

View Full Version : clothing on characters?

Andy741
03-26-2003, 05:35 AM
I'd like to animate a character walking against really strong wind with their clothes and hair getting tossled. Is this possible in 3.3? IOW, is there cloth dynamics that have collision detection with a fully rigged character and react to wind forces? I did some searches on the yahoo forum and didn't see an answer.

ThomasHelzle
03-26-2003, 12:47 PM
No, just forget the current Softbody Dynamics for that Task.
- Collision detection does something sometimes, but don't even try it for such complex tasks as Clothing. Most of the time it "explodes" the geometry and wiggles like crazy... :-(
You can use it for wiggling fat or hanging "things" that dont have to collide, I have even "modelled" some ribbons that hang down from a christmas gift and they are curling very naturally, but it is more a "creative" tool ;-)
Let's hope that this changes in the near future...

Best Regards,

Thomas Helzle

Wegg
03-26-2003, 05:20 PM
I have been able to get hair to work really well. And I'm sure with some creative use of creating several positions for the cloth in your modeler and using morph targets in Messiah you could create some pretty convincing "cloth being disturbed by the wind" effects. . .

Andy741
03-27-2003, 03:59 AM
ok, thanks

Julez4001
04-04-2003, 06:04 AM
Also Make sure explode you draping cloth objects, so when the sbd is activate, they collapse back into place. My avatar ears are SBD and I use that techique to stp the skin from folding into each other.

Just play SBD and by all means ...play with the parameters...

Oh always model to scale. Different size objects do different things.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.