PDA

View Full Version : jsFKIK woes...

tropistic
03-26-2003, 03:58 AM
Following along with the tutorial and on the new DVD, I get a disconcerting warning when applying the setup - "Warning: Skipped l_wristCtrl.solverEnable because it already had connections."

Still, everything seems to works just fine; set a few keys with IK on, then switch to FK, set a couple of keys and then - horreurs - I can't get the IK switch back on, the controllers visibility still turned off.

Trying this on Maya 4.5 on W2k, with the sample scene as well as a small test setup. Same problem.

Jason - help?

Jay

tropistic
03-27-2003, 12:29 AM
Small clarification and a little bump: that warning on setup is for ALL the solver.enable(rs) and has got be related to the switch malfunction.

Anybody else run into this? Sure looks like it works sweet in the video...

Jay

jschleifer
03-27-2003, 01:41 AM
Heya!

I've been meaning to run through this script and tighten it up.. if you can send me an example file I'll see if I can chase down the problem.

cheers! ;)

-jason

tropistic
03-27-2003, 01:51 AM
Hey Jason -

Heck, I'm having this problem just going through the pdf tutorial with the "FkIk_jsSetupArm.ma" sample file from the DVD itself!

Try it - I know you're on a Mac, but it shouldn't make a difference?

Thanks for looking into it.

Jay

jschleifer
03-27-2003, 02:51 AM
it shouldn't make a difference..but...... <grin>

I'll try and give it a go tonight when I get home. this is in maya 4.5, or 4.0?

-jason

tropistic
03-27-2003, 04:22 AM
Maya 4.5 on W2k. Sample scene unaltered, all scripts from the DVD installed where they oughta be, running them directly from that nice shelf you put together...:)

Jay

tropistic
03-27-2003, 11:09 AM
So now I giving Rig referencing a go, and I've hit some snags with the scripts there too :surprised

Again, just playing with the included sampe files (MacGuy). The rigs load fine. Can switch between high/low rigs fine. But copying the animation from low to high gets that "One of your rigs wasn't setup correctly...there's nothing for it to copy!" message. And several of these in the Script Editor:

// Error: Connection not made: 'low:left_foot_l_footCtrl_ballLift.output' -> 'lowRN.connectionList[1].connection'. Destination attribute must be writable. //

Tested it out with a really basic setup of my own and hit the same snag at the same spot.

Argh...not having a good day :hmm:

Jay

danielpk
03-27-2003, 07:55 PM
Hi, I'm having the same problems with both scripts (Maya 4.5, WinXP).

Whaching the two DVD's of Jason encoureged me to learn MEL and these are my first steps. I hope it's ok to post this here, if not feel free to delete this post.

The referencing is working in a Maya 4.0 PLE version but not in 4.5 Unlimited. There seems to be a problem with connections to unloaded referenced objects in 4.5.
My solution was to change two of the scripts (you have to change both):

For "jsReferenceRig.mel":
1. Delete (or make comments of) the lines 248 - 256 ("if" statement and the "for" loop).
2. Insert the following lines:
int $conCount = size($animControls);
if (!`attributeQuery -exists -node $reference "DPK_animControls"`)
{
addAttr -ln "DPK_animControls" -multi -dt "string" $reference;

for ($y = 0; $y < $conCount; $y++)
{
setAttr ($reference + ".DPK_animControls[" + $y + "]")
-typ "string" ($nameSpace + ":" + $animControls[$y]);
setAttr -k 0 -l 1 ($reference + ".DPK_animControls[" + $y + "]");
}
}

For "jsRigUI":
1. Delete (or make comment of) the line 307 ("$con = `listConn...").
2. Insert the following lines:
int $conCount = `getAttr -s ($ref + ".DPK_animControls")`;
for ($x = 0; $x < $conCount; $x++)
{
$con[$x] = `getAttr ($ref + ".DPK_animControls[" + $x + "]")`;
}

With these changes everything is working fine for me.

I don't have a solution for the FKIK script though.

Btw thank you for these great DVD's, Jason. They really helped me with my workflow and were inspiring to me, so that I can focus on animation instead of struggeling with a crappy rig.

Daniel

tropistic
03-27-2003, 08:21 PM
Yup, that fixed the referencing script problems - thanks much Daniel :beer:

I'm inspired to learn Mel too, but this was/is waay beyond me. Now hopefully Jason can figure out what's wrong with the FK/IK scripts.

And ditto on the DVDs. Best training materials I've ever purchased - by far.

Jay

tropistic
04-01-2003, 07:39 PM
Hey Jason -

Don't know if this is any help or not in tracking the nasty down, but I just gave the FK/IK switching scripts a go with the pre-rigged monkey model off the DVD and it's not working there either. Of course, I couldn't say for certain is this a setup problem or the switching script(s) themselves, but something makes me think it's in the switching scripts...

Jay

tropistic
04-10-2003, 12:26 AM
~bump!

Don't want this one to get forgetten about. Unless the new FK/IK blending (and I assume, switching too?) in 5 is really that good...:)

Jay

jschleifer
04-10-2003, 12:47 AM
don't worry, it's not forgotten about. :) I just got new carpet put in today & had to spend this past week stripping all the wood in the house before the new carpet got laid down. I also just received the DVD from alias|wavefront so I can run through it clean and make sure it's all kosher-as-can-be. :)

cheers!
-jason

tropistic
04-10-2003, 12:52 AM
Cool. I've a hunch your solution is superior anyway - sure looks like it from the DVD. Thanks (in advance) Jason :)

Jay

jschleifer
04-10-2003, 12:56 AM
It's not that it's necessarily superior, it's that I thought about it from the creation through editing stages.. that's all. A|W's got some great functionality there, but it doesn't handle editing of the fk/ik very easily.. that's what this solution is trying to handle. It's pretty tough given the current technology that's available in Maya.. maybe for 6.0 they can come up with an entirely new way of doing it. :)

-jason

CIM
04-18-2003, 03:12 AM
Any word on jsFkIKSetup? I get errors about "jsChooseItem".

Phearielord
04-20-2003, 12:09 PM
I've been having the same problem.
First I did the setup on my Right Arm, and everything worked fine, but then I got the error message when I rigged my Left Arm :surprised
So....very strange....

jschleifer
04-20-2003, 08:41 PM
really really weird.. I'm still trying to get a fix for everything. I'll post one asap! :)

-jason

jschleifer
04-22-2003, 12:00 PM
Just a quick update.. I've tested the referencing problem & I can't seem to find it.. it's working fine with the connections. I'm running on mac, however.. I'll try and test it on a pc and see what happens.

I'm pretty flat out this week, unfortunately, so I won't get to do much work on this until saturday. I've set saturday morning asside as my "UPDATE THE FRIGGIN SCRIPTS & GET 'EM WORKING" morning. :)

-jason

tropistic
04-22-2003, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the update Jason. I'll set some time aside this weekend to "TEST THOSE LOVELY SCRIPTS OF YOURS" when you've got a fix:)

Jay

Phearielord
05-10-2003, 10:22 AM
hey jason

Have you been able to fix those scripts yet?
Any idea if there will be any major problems when running it in Maya 5?

Sometimes I get an error, and other times not......too weird

O well

good luck :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.