PDA

View Full Version : Finished Work

Wegg
03-26-2003, 02:59 AM
This topic is for users wishing to show off their finished work.

Please only post images that are AM related and that you are considering finished.

zandoria
03-28-2003, 02:27 PM
Here is an image that I submitted in the March image contest (stereo). You need anaglyph glasses to get the effect...

Rigging the wing membrane was a challenge, I had originally wanted to use a cloth simulation, but it got way too dynamic.
After a week of puzzeling over it, I woke up at 2am with the solution--so I got up and finished the model.

I have an idea for a short animation with this creature, which I hope to work on in the next month or so.

http://www.hash.com/imagecontest/Mar03/18.jpg

Zaryin
03-28-2003, 07:01 PM
I love that model. One day I will also be as good as you ... watch out :).

Since Will posted his Stereo Image I guwss I'll post mine.

http://www.hash.com/imagecontest/Mar03/21.jpg

This was my first attempt at a Stereo Image. I decided to go for the subtlety of depth, kind of Like the 2nd place winner did.

I had fun making this image and learned a few things as well. I can actually see myself getting better with every scene I make. Which is nice.

zandoria
03-28-2003, 07:52 PM
great modeling too! This was a tough contest, there were so many great entries.:thumbsup:

antonyw
03-29-2003, 10:07 AM
Our company use A:M make this....

www.antonyw.com/gamepic1.html

no0ne
03-29-2003, 12:32 PM
coool zandoria, me was so sure, it's some eggprop's ptero-saur :eek: surprise

:thumbsup: love it/them, although it's some kind of style-switch
isn't it? (: would have expected some cow-head or something :beer:

can't wait to see this one animated :bounce: in stereo!?!

hey zaryin, love especially the depth of your pic :thumbsup:

mine is a bit flat, since the eye-spacing had to be decreased
so everything is at least somehow in focus (:

http://www.hash.com/imagecontest/Mar03/16.jpg

can't stop thankin those who voted!!! :buttrock:

3DArtZ
03-29-2003, 04:44 PM
Hey this section is pretty cool. Some really cool work in here.
Some I remember from contest previous, some I've not seen in the past.
All look great.
So, here's one of mine from the mascott contest. That particular contest had some great entries,
proven by the winners!

http://www.hash.com/imagecontest/Oct02/39.jpg

Mike Fitz

Zaryin
03-29-2003, 08:55 PM
no0ne: Thanks for the compliments. I thought for sure you were going to win with yours. It is just beautiful.

3DArtZ: I remember the first time I saw that character you made. I thought it was amazing. I think it's one of the resons I still haven't tried to make a female character. I will one day, but I don't think I'll get mine to look like that.

3DArtZ
03-30-2003, 04:35 PM
Hi Zaryn, thanks!
There were some really good entries for that contest.
But don't let my stuff prevent you from giving your own murderous female with a bad chip on her shoulder model a go!
Get a cup of coffee, some nice reference pictures and get after it!
Thanks,
Mike Fitz

PJC
04-23-2003, 05:59 PM
Well, it's finally done.

My latest FUSED piece is complete. I had to trick Eggslice to get the camera rotation method into v10, but it worked fine.

Rendered in AM v10 in two passes, one raytrace, one toon line. the rest was inked in Photoshop.

Final size was 2100 X 3150.

http://www.ccpots.com/PJCdemo/pjccomic/Fused/CybotThinker600.JPG

Here's a link to a higher res version:
Cy bot Bigger (http://www.ccpots.com/PJCdemo/pjccomic/Fused/CybotThinker1000.JPG)

and some close-ups of the final piece:
http://www.ccpots.com/PJCdemo/pjccomic/Fused/CBotTHNKhand800.JPG
http://www.ccpots.com/PJCdemo/pjccomic/Fused/CBotTHNKhed800.JPG

Enjoy:

- pjc

Zaryin
04-23-2003, 09:07 PM
This turned out extremely well. Very nice!

Grgeon
04-23-2003, 10:34 PM
yeah, this is very nice good job Patrick :)

George

pequod
04-24-2003, 10:59 AM
Looks really good :thumbsup: plus the graphic design is excellent too.
I'm not usually a fan of realistic 3D shading combined with keyline, but this works well.

Squeakypics
04-24-2003, 11:09 AM
Nice one. I very much like the way you treated the lines. The metal texture looks good too!

Pablo
04-24-2003, 02:16 PM
looks really good, but I don't like the metal material, it looks so much like pc art, but thats only my opinion.
What is excaclty with the pic with the grass in the background, is that one finished or was it just a test?

Manta
04-24-2003, 04:39 PM
I like the colours altogether and its own style. :thumbsup:

PJC
04-24-2003, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Pablo
looks really good, but I don't like the metal material, it looks so much like pc art, but thats only my opinion.
What is excaclty with the pic with the grass in the background, is that one finished or was it just a test?

The other robot pic with the grass is finished, but was just a test of v10.5's new rendering. The grass was Hash particles..

Thanks for the compliments!! It's crazy seeing the main CgTalk crit/finished work page, and guys with like 1000 replies...they must use MAX. :p

- pjc

modernhorse
04-24-2003, 09:05 PM
Love it! Bute.

Where's the one with the grass tho?

PJC
04-25-2003, 06:06 AM
It's over on the main finished work page, but here it is:

http://www.ccpots.com/PJCdemo/AMTESTS/Clonk_NightStareINKEDSM.jpg

-pjc

wiredwood
05-01-2003, 07:57 PM
done in animation:master:)
My toy robot (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=58963)

JoeW
05-11-2003, 11:34 PM
Hey PJC! Niiiiiiice image. Great lighting, great layout, cool model... you need to animate that bad-boy! How are you finding 10.5's renderer? I've been in contact with Martin almost every day in regards to things I'm finding, but it's looking better than I've ever seen AM's renderer look....

Hey Wiredwood - Nice model! I love the attention to detail and the seams - it looks like it would "work" which is something that a lot of CG designs don't look like they would do. I agree with the post that said "Animation, pleeeeaaase" :)

OK - I've been working so much at WORK work that I've been slipping a bit with my personal stuff, but I'm getting closer to being finished with my Bisley Hunter. Her rig isn't totally finished, but there was enough there to do a little pose and some lighting tests..:

ftp://ftp.hash.com/users/joewllms/Samples/SexyHunterSWSM.jpg

Take it easy,

JoeW

Wegg
05-11-2003, 11:46 PM
Those are some pretty gravity defying mamory glands. . .

Pretty wicked though.

Cosmics
05-11-2003, 11:53 PM
:drool:

Sooo hot! . . . excellent modeling btw, and texturing, and everything

Cosmics

3DArtZ
05-12-2003, 02:42 AM
Wow, great model. Lets see the back side!!!!!
Anyhows... after getting past the initial visuals, I must say that I like the subtle details... like the viens on the hands.
Nicely done.
Mike Fitz

My Fault
05-12-2003, 07:54 AM
She must have some wicked back muscles to be able to stand up straight!

Gorgeous as always Joe!

wiredwood
05-12-2003, 06:33 PM
Thanxs JoeW:thumbsup:

she sure is the biz!:eek:
I think I can recall the original simon bisley drawing and from what I can remember your model is pretty accurate and conveys the same result:eek: :eek: :eek:

p.s. I am working on a basic walk cycle for my bot' and will post soon:wip:

Wycoff3d
05-12-2003, 06:40 PM
Sweet! How are you finding the render for 10.5? What things are you saying to Martin to make the render better and faster?
Thanks-

My Fault
05-12-2003, 10:38 PM
That wasn't by Wegg, it was by JoeW.

Hmmm, that's two responses I've seen that confuse Wegg and JoeW. Are you guys twins separated at birth? :surprised

JoeW
05-12-2003, 11:09 PM
Thanks for the compliments, guys - I hope to finish her rig and do some test animations pretty soon.. can you say "secondary motion"? LOL!

Gravity is weaker on her planet... which would also explain her height of 7'-3" *without* the headress... :)

PERVO! LOL! Patience... those renders are waiting until I get the backside completely smartskinned.....

While in college, she was the captain of her Rowing team...

The renderer is improving dramatically in some areas - 5-point patches are no longer to be avoided - they render really well now (even when twisted pretty badly). Overall, surfaces are looking better, AA is much better - even on the 1-pass settings. The thing that's impressed me the most so far is that creasing is probably 1/5th as bad as it used to be. The Hunter image I posted has no overpainting - that render (surface smoothness-wise) is right out of AM *without* using any porcelain. The jury is still out on the bias-normals thing - not sure how to take it as I've had a lot of problems with "flippy" splines, and I'm not sure what's causing it. Maps are doing a little better, but there's still a softness issue - but all these things are being addressed one at a time. Martin IS working on this stuff, and it shows.

There are, of course, still issues and bugs keep popping up, but I feel pretty good about the direction things are going. Speed-wise, the renderer still needs work, but I'm going to wait on pushing that issue until everything else is where we want it... one thing at a time... baby steps....

There is also some pretty slick stuff coming up - Hash is planning on implementing some of our physics from our game engine - which, while it's not true soft-body dynamics, will allow things like dynamic chains and collisions - you can "fake" a lot of effects with it... I'm not sure when it's supposed to be in and functional, but I know that 10.5's feature freeze was last Friday, and it did get added before that. We'll have to wait and see....

Who says we're separated? LOL!

JoeW

PS - Hey Billy, does Eggslice work with 10.5?

PSS - I put up a shot of the original Bisley painting, as well as two zipped BMPs for those who might want a wallpaper:

ftp://ftp.hash.com/users/joewllms/samples/Bisley.jpg
ftp://ftp.hash.com/users/joewllms/samples/HunterDesktops.zip

Wegg
05-13-2003, 12:19 AM
PS - Hey Billy, does Eggslice work with 10.5?

Nah. . .

I think 9 was the last version that it actually worked.

Dan went and got himself a job at Bluesky and sales were never that great to begin with. I think the number of "Power Users" can be counted on one hand. ..

koon69
05-13-2003, 01:18 AM
Ok-Im no real power user - yet! :> But cant you sale the code to some one like Howard or Marcel? Or have them update it? Maybe drop the price a bit and see if sales go up? I know that I would buy it like yesterday!!!!!!

I never did see Joe or Wegg together. Maybe they are the same! lol!!

Wegg
05-13-2003, 01:25 AM
Thats really up to Dan. Although we came up with the concept. . . Dan was the one who coded it and is the one to bug.

We don't use AM in production any more so our need for tools like that went away quite a while ago.

Sorry. :-(

koon69
05-13-2003, 04:58 AM
Where can we reach Dan to bug him?

PJC
05-15-2003, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by JoeW
Hey PJC! Niiiiiiice image. Great lighting, great layout, cool model... you need to animate that bad-boy! How are you finding 10.5's renderer? I've been in contact with Martin almost every day in regards to things I'm finding, but it's looking better than I've ever seen AM's renderer look....

Thanks Joe!

I definately need to animate him, but after WORK work, I have my comic book stuff I'm trying to work on and THEN I can get to this animation. I want to animate the ink style with it, so it will be an adventure.

I really like the quality of the 10.5 Renderer. Light seems WAY more accurate and Reflections seem better too. Both seem to "pool" better than in 10.....BUT....

it is still S-L-O-W.. :( Give me 10.5 quality and Cinema 4d (hell, give me Lightwave) render times and I would be such a happy camper.

I would really like to do some FUSED (the comic book that I am trying to do some side work for) in 10.5, but my shader uses a Darktree Simbiont texture, and as far as I know Simbiont doesn't work in 10.5.

Speaking of Eggslice...I made it kinda work in 10. I copied all the camera data from my 10 file into v8 and saved out a blank chor and Egglsliced it and then brought the blank chor into 10 and put the Eggslice camera into my existing 10 chor. Now that I have my "full page comic book Eggslice camera" made, I just have a chor with it in it and assemble my scene and I'm done!

Oh yeah, and AWESOME Bisely inspired work!! Love to hear what your plan with her is! We need more AM comic book guys!!

- pjc

Elm
05-19-2003, 08:41 PM
...can be seen on:

www.soulcage-department.com (http://www.soulcage-department.com)

My Fault
05-19-2003, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Elm
...can be seen on:

www.soulcage-department.com (http://www.soulcage-department.com)

Your subject should have said "More FANTASTIC Animation Master work..." :thumbsup:

Is all of Soulcage's work done in AM?

Elm
05-19-2003, 09:07 PM
...everything was done in A:M except some stuff in the stills section. All animated stuff was done with A:M. Thanks for the flowers!!:rolleyes:

JoeW
05-23-2003, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by PJC

Oh yeah, and AWESOME Bisely inspired work!! Love to hear what your plan with her is! We need more AM comic book guys!!

- pjc

Hey P,

Thanks - she's still a work in progress, but as soon as "averaged smartskinning" is implemented, I'll be finishing up her rig - it's still rudimentary at this point.

My plan for now is to just do some basic animations and some nice stills for posters. I decided a while back that I was going to start printing the images that I really like, since other than viewing them on the computer, they don't really *exist*. She's more of a skill sharpening project than anything right now....(and possibly an Expose' entry)

Somebody requested it, so I did a render of her from the back - it's at:
ftp://ftp.hash.com/users/joewllms/Samples/SexyHunterBack2.jpg

E3 was interesting - over 1300 games on the floor - some friggin' AMAZING stuff coming out later this year. Half-Life2 will simply blow you away with some of the stuff they're doing (real-time refraction, reflections, lighting effects, pixel shaders, use of Normal Mapping... it's wild) - in 5 years, games are going to look better than "Final Fantasy" ...

Take it easy,

JoeW

PJC
05-23-2003, 01:15 AM
cool.

i missed e3 this year dangit, sounds like there was some cool stuff....

but i wanna see more TAK on the GCN, it sounds like a different twist on one of my favorite genres.

you know, if you ever needed someone to test it....:D

- pjc

My Fault
05-23-2003, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by PJC
you know, if you ever needed someone to test it....:D

- pjc

Yeah, Patrick will be standing behind me in line to test! :beer:

JoeW
05-23-2003, 02:18 AM
Well, who knows what they'll allow us to do (our publisher - THQ)....

Here's an article on the game....

http://cube.ign.com/articles/409/409699p1.html?fromint=1

We also got a spot on IGN's front page:

http://cube.ign.com

It was a pleasant suprise for us :)

We get so jaded working on it every day, seeing it every day, that it still kind of shocks us when someone cracks up at something that happens in the game - and that's a good thing. When I step back and look at Tak in comparison to the other "big" games coming out, we stack up very, very well - even moreso when you consider that our competition is second and third generation engines with a few more years of development under them. It'd be cool to have some people other than the THQ testers get a shot at the game....

JoeW

Zaryin
05-23-2003, 03:17 AM
Hey Joe, that's a beatiful model. Can't wait t osee more.

PJC
05-23-2003, 05:17 AM
joe,

i read in nintendo power that there was a GBA version. you guys doing that too?

- pjc

alfiebabes
05-23-2003, 12:33 PM
it is still S-L-O-W.. :( Give me 10.5 quality and Cinema 4d (hell, give me Lightwave) render times and I would be such a happy camper.

I think most of us would settle for quality. Speed will come. And anyway, for single images I can always go out cycling or walking while rendering.
I may yet start modelling vehicles in AMv 10.5...... the bits are falling into place-
1) Quality Rendering
2) Surface normals and smoothing

heh-heh!

Jo B.
05-23-2003, 08:12 PM
Damn, what's going on here...?
(I was so pissed off using v9.5 that i never really noticed this part of cgtalk.)
MISTAKE! Seems like v10 rocks again...
Great stuff! :surprised
@ JoeW Kick Ass Modeling! :bowdown:
@ PJC that Raytrace/Toon Look is fantastic! :eek: Did you ever animate something with it?
greetz...

JoeW
05-24-2003, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by PJC
joe,

i read in nintendo power that there was a GBA version. you guys doing that too?

- pjc

We are *not* doing the GBA version - we've been providing concept to THQ and they, in turn, have hired another studio to develop it.

I haven't seen anything on it, but I know that it's progressing.... Sorry I don't have more information....

Originally posted by PJC

Damn, what's going on here...?
(I was so pissed off using v9.5 that i never really noticed this part of cgtalk.)
MISTAKE! Seems like v10 rocks again...

Thanks for the compliments :) AM is coming along - it's improving, but we need to keep the pressure up. If 10.5 ever gets to the place where 8.5 was, it's going to be pretty sweet. I still despise the "new" interface, but I'm learning how to get around in it the more I use it.

This part of CGTalk pretty much came about when most of the advanced users got kicked off the AM list.

Good to see another AM user here :)

JoeW

PJC
05-24-2003, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by Jo B.

@ PJC that Raytrace/Toon Look is fantastic! :eek: Did you ever animate something with it?
greetz...

not yet. got a few irons in the fire, but i definately have some animation in mind.

btw, really like your work, VERY professional!

-pjc

dagooos
06-15-2003, 05:59 PM
Here is a model I have had for a while but just finished the facial muscles and mouth shapes.
I can't take credit for the body I borrowed it from the KeeKat model just because I love the hand set up. (the one that over rides your poses when you make a fist) I still can't figure out how to do that.
Anyway I did model and set up the head and tail and did the textures. Now it is ready to animate, I was just testing out a few poses.

http://www.5000hp.com/Bear.JPG

thanks

David

kikiriki
07-02-2003, 02:16 AM
I have just finished four short animations. TV stations in Slovenia will broadcast them before TV programs which might be inappropriate for children.

Made in A:M v10n, rendered in A:M v10,5 beta12 (Z buffered soft shadows looks much better than in previous versions)

www.bugbrain.com/wip/trikotnik1.avi
www.bugbrain.com/wip/trikotnik2.avi
www.bugbrain.com/wip/krog1.avi
www.bugbrain.com/wip/krog2.avi

You may also peek at animated storyboards (Flash):
http://www.bugbrain.com/wip/familija/rumenitrikotnik3.html
http://www.bugbrain.com/wip/familija/rumenitrikotnik4.html
http://www.bugbrain.com/wip/familija/rdeci%20krog%201a.html
http://www.bugbrain.com/wip/familija/rdeci%20krog%202a.html

Comments are welcome:-)

Regards
Dusan

JTalbotski
07-02-2003, 03:18 AM
Originally posted by kikiriki
I have just finished four short animations. TV stations in Slovenia will broadcast them before TV programs which might be inappropriate for children.

Hey Dusan,

I *love* the characters and the clean hold poses. The timing of the poses works really well. Did you create those characters or were you given reference to match?

Good to see more of your work!

Jim

Jo B.
07-02-2003, 11:41 AM
this is brilliant charakterdesign! love that!
great to see that there are tv-stations supporting local animation studios.
greetz...

Squeakypics
07-02-2003, 06:41 PM
A lovely job Dusan. Thanks for posting the links.

Cosmics
07-02-2003, 07:32 PM
Dusan, those are hilarious!! :applause:

Great work all around, characters, colours, animation, lighting, everything.

kikiriki
07-03-2003, 02:48 AM
Hi guys!

Thank you all very much for your kind comments :-)

Originally posted by JTalbotski
Did you create those characters or were you given reference to match?

Yes- characters are mine. Actually we made whole project in Bugbrain studio- from idea, concept, story... to realization. Including design of signs (circle and triangle with an eye). Even sound effects are made in-house (by my colleague Igor Sinkovec). Characters are based on my old comic "The Happy Family" (you could read few pages in comic section of my website: www.bugbrain.com)

Originally posted by Jo B.
great to see that there are tv-stations supporting local animation studios.
No, unfortunately the situation here is not so ideal. TV stations almost don't support local studios :-( This project was made for our government (or better say for its agency for media). Few months ago our national TV has published a contest for series of short animated films for kids. But price they offered for 10 episodes, 3 minutes each was ridiculous so we were not even apply. Looks like we will have to find producers elsewhere :-(

I must say that at first I was a little scared to use A:M for a project which is such an important for us. We had a very tight deadline (one month from first sketches to a final product) and I was afraid that I could collide to some serious problems in A:M. But I didn't have a choice since I don't know how to use any other 3D software well enough to make such a complex animations. But everything went surprisingly smooth! I almost didn't have any problems. Few crashes here and there, but nothing really serious. Not to mention that when I collide to a problem with rendering soft shadows, programers from Hash were fixed the problem in a couple of days! Well- I think that latest versions of A:M are mature enough for doing serious projects in A:M.

Thank you again for watching! :-)

Dusan

Zaryin
07-03-2003, 07:14 PM
Hey Dusan, these are great. Funny and well done.

Congrats!

cyberspark
09-10-2003, 12:57 PM
Hi
http://www.mediastation.150m.com

Any comment or suggestion.....
not good at type and speak english So ...i will use short word for communication to all of U inhis list

Lee
THAILAND

JTalbotski
09-10-2003, 01:47 PM
cyberspark,

Very cute characters you have there, Lee. Nice work! Do you have any animation?

Keep us posted,

Jim

PJC
09-10-2003, 05:27 PM
I think I like it, but would like to see a closer view of the character.

Has some "Lilo and Stitch" feel to it which is good!

- pjc

cyberspark
09-11-2003, 06:00 AM
Yes i have animation but i did not have free space for up load
most of my free web is limit 1 mb at a time :(

my chacter concept is come from mySun..:)

cyberspark
09-11-2003, 06:48 AM
first shot of my anim

cyberspark
09-11-2003, 06:54 AM
other character

Kricket
09-12-2003, 12:44 AM
This is my entry for the CGTalk Animation challenge this month, all done in AM 10.5. I posted a WIP to the am list but this is the final version.

http://demented3d.com/bubba/bubba-final.avi 3.6m divx 5.05
http://demented3d.com/bubba/bubba-final.mov 3.6m Sorenson3

http://demented3d.com/bubba/bubba-final.jpg

Roger Eberhart
09-12-2003, 06:57 AM
Got a good chuckle out of that. Great work. BTW, I've always enjoyed your web site. I take it you're giving AM another chance? It seemed like you had moved on to other software for a while.

Kricket
09-12-2003, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by Roger Eberhart
Got a good chuckle out of that. Great work. BTW, I've always enjoyed your web site. I take it you're giving AM another chance? It seemed like you had moved on to other software for a while.

Thanks =) Yea, for a while I switched to the LW/Messiah combo. But now I'm back.. I used AM for this animation because I wanted to do some really cartoony animation which is a pain in Messiah.

<messiah vs am rant>

As nifty as Messiah is, it can't hold a candle to AM's animation tools. Picking up a bottle is just a few mouse-clicks and constraints away. In Messiah you've got to setup special nulls, go into the expressions menu and write a new expression.. bleah. And pose sliders! How I missed AM's poses.

Stuff like the stretching bottle I was able to do on the fly. Just pop into muscle mode, stretch it out.. boom! done) Can't do that in Messiah.

This was my first time playing with AMs new Dynamic Constraints.. Incredible! I Love them! They're used with the top of the pants/suspenders, pant bottoms and sword.

But when I use Messiah I dont have to deal with splines, creases (porcelain is great but aint perfect) and crashes. Then LW gives me a lot more control over toon-lines than AM. (AM gave me a lot of nasty toon-line artifacts in the Bubba short, had to photoshop them out frame by frame)

</messiah vs am rant>

I'm gonna start working on a anime-inspired short soon (see attached pic - should be familiar since you've been to my site.. tho she's been chibi'd .. more cutesy). But right now I'm undecided wether or not to stick with AM or move my characters to Messiah. I'll figure it out soon enough.

Roger Eberhart
09-12-2003, 04:38 PM
I always liked that model. What can I say, I like girls in see-through clothes. Have you checked out the previews for LW 8? It looks like rigging will be much easier and bone dynamics look more powerful than AM's dynamic constraints. I don't think you can set a collision radius for dynamic constraints in AM (could be wrong, haven't played with them yet). I have to agree with you regarding modeling. You can't beat LW's sub-D's for quickly producing nice smooth models. Even with the improvements, LW won't be as easy to animate with as AM. If only they would support polygons and subD in AM. Unfortunately they've convinced themselves and half their users that splines are the ultimate modeling technology. (granted that was true six or seven years ago) Ah well, can't have everything in one package apparently.

DarkLimit
09-13-2003, 07:22 AM
here are some of my finished work.............

http://www.renderosity.com/photos/GAL_200309/GalleryImage421989.jpg

http://www.renderosity.com/photos/GAL_200309/GalleryImage486087.jpg

thanks for viewing........

Kricket
09-13-2003, 07:57 AM
Darklimit, I love that 2nd picture, the room looks great. Would make an awesome haunted house.

dagooos
09-15-2003, 11:00 PM
It's been a while since I used A:M v10.5 but I have been working on this for the last week. I had 18 - 20 hours into it and only 4 crashes. yeah. I can live with that. :)

http://www.5000hp.com/animations/Evil.avi

PJC
09-17-2003, 05:21 PM
The comic is called Dark Days, it's a sequel to the immensely popular 30 days of night by Steve Niles.

I really had to turn off the "make it photoreal" switch in my head since I was going to ink the piece, so it has more of a comic feel.

Rendered in 10.5. Had some render crash issues when I was playing with particle hair (didn't give me the look I wanted anyway, but is VERY nice) and booleans on a converted .44 magnum 8.5 model. Turned off booleans and was fine. Deleted boolean bone and made new boolean bone, no crash.

All geometry, flocking system with 65 bats with a flying action hooked up.

10 hours at 2200 X 3300 on my dual P4 2.8 Xeon (only using one Proc of course). Rendered multipass, 49 passes.

Then rendered pure b&w outline toon render.

Took into Photoshop and inked with toon render as base.

Textures are my wife for the woman and my ugly mug for the vampires.

http://www.ccpots.com/PJCdemo/pjccomic/DarkDays/DarkDaysCover1v2small.JPG

Larger version here: Dark Days image bigger (http://www.ccpots.com/PJCdemo/pjccomic/DarkDays/DarkDaysCover1v2med.JPG)

Don't know if it's quite "finished" as in I might do some more Photoshop work in the inks, etc, but the AM rendering is pretty solid.

- pjc

Zaryin
09-17-2003, 08:24 PM
I think this is looking awesome so far. I can't wait to read the comic.

JTalbotski
09-17-2003, 08:37 PM
Hey Patrick,

Strong composition as usual. There are a couple things that I feel aren't quite up to your usual standard, though.

You add very nice line art to your renders, but a lot of your line art dissappears into this image's black background. Any chance you could try changing the background black areas into a deep color instead?

The hand of the man behind her isn't reading as threatening very clearly. He seems to be standing perfectly straight up and down, if he's a zombie that's understandable, but it doesn't make the image as strong as it could be.

Overall I like it, but feel it could be even better. Of course, since you posted it in the Finished work thread, please disregard this if you want.

Jim

PJC
09-20-2003, 06:46 AM
You make some very good points. I will play with the background color and see.

I kinda wanted the leader of the horde of vampire/ghouls to be overconfident and sneaky instead of a full on attack mode. What he can't see is that Stella from our POV knows he's there and is ready to take him out. I don't know if that came out in the comp or not.

Thanks for the honest comments!

- pjc

Bugle
09-20-2003, 07:40 PM
Manual inking sounds verra time consuming, have you tried my trick of using a light at the camera origin with the 2 tone w/line shader preset to define variable outlines? You could render it separately and composite and it should save time...

PJC
09-21-2003, 04:08 AM
Hmm, never used the 2 tone shader.

I use the line only option, and I have a quick Photoshop technique that my friend and I came up with that get me some solids and sketch at the same time. It's a combination of Brightness/Contrast/and Blending at the same time.

I will definately try your approaach too!

Thanks for the info!

- pjc

Jo B.
09-22-2003, 12:05 PM
Hi animasters
I've just posted our latest short: I'm Walking in the Finished work section:
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=89917

Here is a pic:
http://www.soulcage-department.de/images/Im-Walking-Quad.jpg
I hope you like it. feel free to comment.
cu.
jo and the rest of the soulcagers.

Wegg
09-22-2003, 06:43 PM
Fantastic. . .

I really loved the pacing. Very entertaining.

pequod
09-22-2003, 07:02 PM
Brilliant, as usual.
You 'guys' always capture a very whacky, bouncy style of animation that has more in common with good cel animation than the usual 3D offerings.:applause:

My Fault
09-22-2003, 07:10 PM
Yeah, outsanding work. I'm really amazed at the quality considering the time frame you guys had finished it in.

Can't wait for more!

Elm
09-22-2003, 09:17 PM
Thanx very much. Whacky style - that's good =)

hoochoochoochoo
09-23-2003, 11:47 AM
wonderful stuff!
loved the image quality and the little detail effects like sprays of feathers and such.

inspiring. what version are you using?

JBarrett
09-23-2003, 05:10 PM
Awesome work, guys! Really inspiring, totally hilarious. The gang here at work loved it! Keep it up! :thumbsup:

Elm
09-23-2003, 08:13 PM
on that project we used 10.0n, IMO the best version since 8.5p+

cyberspark
09-24-2003, 12:53 AM
why use Lw for Bg ?
it fast than AM>.

Elm
09-24-2003, 04:46 PM
SOME PARTS of some backgrounds were rendered with lightwave. SOME.
PARTS of the waving grass in the endscenes were rendered with lightwave. no need to mention.

Dalemation
09-25-2003, 06:24 PM
Asolutely amazing stuff. I downloaded the movie at work and several of us animators (of the stop-motion kind!) viewed it. All were bowled over by it. It`s been posted in a common folder now so everyone here can view it.

Everything about it seemed perfect and couldn`t be improved as far as we could see....and that`s rare.

Elm
09-27-2003, 07:27 PM
yea, thanx.

Pablo
12-04-2003, 10:00 PM
no new work from you dudes since a long time

here's my newest pic
http://server2.hostpoint.ch/~novamvia/pablo/page/3dpix/turnedupthelamp.jpg

Elm
12-23-2003, 10:04 AM
Abwarten, Pablo... das neue jahr steht ja direkt vor der tür... ;)

zandoria
12-28-2003, 09:15 PM
http://www.zandoria.com/images/temp/ark.jpg

experiments with an ocean material in A:M...

Wycoff3d
12-28-2003, 11:26 PM
Zandoria that is damned nice!!! With so many people whining about Hash its great to see such a talented artist like you making some kick ass work! Thanks. But what do you mean by a ocean materialin AM? IS this a new material or a plug in? Next obvious question is how did you get such a great water done!! Can you animate this to? :>

Damn nice work!

zandoria
12-29-2003, 01:33 PM
It is a material applied to a surface. The material is a combination gradient material (using threshold to blend between reflective attributes) and a crumple attribute.

It is animatable by animating the material transforms in the timeline. I'm rendering an animation right now. that is an unretouched render:D

DarkLimit
01-07-2004, 11:35 PM
Hi guys,
I don't usaully post on this site / forum cuz the talent here is unreal :bowdown: and it makes my work look like a spit in the ocean.

but I need some feedback on my fish so here goes.... This is my really 1st model I completed in A:M; I will be animating him... the animation will be based on an event that happened in my life...

any feedback on him will be great..

JoeW
01-08-2004, 12:54 AM
Looks really good! My only comments are going to be kind of "out of context" since I don't know what "look" you're going for - but here's a couple of little things:

Texturing is a tad on the plain side - It would help a LOT to add some specular and bump maps - and I think I'd try to unify the palette somewhat. The webbing between the spines on the fins is pretty blue-ish, and the overall fish is kind of green. It's rare in nature for there to be such a harsh separation between colors on the same structure - maybe use a map on spines and webbing of the fins instead of group colors? Something where you could fade the colors into each other a bit?

The eyes are a bit on the anthropomorphic side - they look pretty "human" instead of "fish" - but if you are going to make the fish "act" this may be necessary.

Those are just a couple of nits, really - your model is looking pretty good. It'd be nice if you could post a larger image - it's kind of hard to see what's going on.... or, maybe I'm just getting old :)

JoeW

Bugle
01-08-2004, 04:56 PM
Nasty looking little bugger. Nice model, looks like it'll be good for animating.

DarkLimit
01-08-2004, 08:32 PM
joe thanks alot I am working on his eyes..... your tips really helped I will implement them in my next render....

just to give you some background.........

This is LEV VY the fish; I created him based on a dream I had. He as been a concept for over a yr now.. I decided that I will re-created him... Being underwater is one of my greatest fears and seeing or being attacked by a shark or a fish like lev vy always crosses my mind before I go to the lakes and pounds... I will be re-creating the dream; it's very scary I hope I can capture the same dramatic feel and look....He's modeled and textured in HASH Animation Master...

this design is the original design that was in my dream so I will go with that..

I can't post a large pic here on the forum but here is a link to one.

comments are welcome......

http://www.deviantart.com/view/4581306/

modernhorse
01-08-2004, 08:36 PM
I've seen this over at the *other* forum. I'm glad you posted it here. You know I love this fella. You should start a thread showing all your concepts and progress with this. Great stuff.

DarkLimit
01-09-2004, 03:02 PM
Thanks alot modernhorse....

I will like to start a thread with my progress but I can't post a full size render am only allowed 20000 bytes which is like 18 kb thats kinda small.......

JoeW said it's a bit hard to see the model....

any surggestions?

BTW update........ :)

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=10417

modernhorse
01-09-2004, 03:44 PM
Hey Darklimit -
Can't you link to your deviantart/darklimit site ? I don't know anything about that, I tried with my Yahoo account and I couldn't get it to work. Maybe someone else here could walk you through how to do it.

btw - I just went to your gallery. I have seen all the stuff before but had forgotten that it was all you. Man, your stuff is moody, dark and really interesting. I can see the Dali influence. Congrats.

DarkLimit
01-11-2004, 07:53 AM
modernhorse - I guess I will figure something out......

thanks for looking at my gallery :)

JoeW
01-11-2004, 10:31 PM
Hey All,

I was painting a resin kit last night - and managed to have a full-scale disaster (masking took some base paint with it - @#$&%!) - so while the freshly stripped and primed kit was drying, I decided to mess around with a few poses on my Warrior Princess model...

Here's a few images - some desktop, and one full-length render:

http://www.hash.com/users/joewllms/cgtalk/Pray1280X1024.jpg
http://www.hash.com/users/joewllms/cgtalk/Pray2_1280X1024.jpg
http://www.hash.com/users/joewllms/cgtalk/Pray1600X1200.jpg
http://www.hash.com/users/joewllms/cgtalk/Pray2_1600X1200.jpg
http://www.hash.com/users/joewllms/cgtalk/PrayFullLength.jpg

This was really just a "messing around" pose, but I was pretty happy with the results (composited in Photoshop, BTW).

JoeW

JTalbotski
01-11-2004, 10:36 PM
Hey Joe,

The lighting really shows off the great modeling and texturing. Beautiful work, as usual.

Jim

Cosmics
01-12-2004, 12:31 AM
I second that!
It really is stunning
I especailly like the hands and feet -- for a faceless character they really are important in conveying her emotion and state.... and they're the hardest things for me to model soo good job :thumbsup:
Have you posed her as she was in the original art yet? Or do you even plan on doing that? ... with that nasty bird n'all.

Vuk

Bugle
01-12-2004, 01:41 AM
Woo! Nicely done! That's front page material right there. Someone get a moderator down here to plug it

DarkLimit
01-12-2004, 04:27 AM
Very cool model....... I think her leg right where the metal thing is needs some tweaking also her hips.......
I like her sword......

Zaryin
01-12-2004, 07:43 AM
Great pose. I still love that model :)

pequod
01-12-2004, 06:46 PM
Holy cow Joe, these pictures are truly inspirational.:bowdown:
Is it your basic warm and cool light setup?
My very tiny nit-pic is the veins on her feet look a tad dark.
Incidentally, if you are trying to decide, I prefer the nebulous background.

JoeW
01-13-2004, 12:04 AM
Thanks Guys :) Amazing to me how some of my favorite stuff comes out of just "messing around"...

Vuk - Have you posed her as she was in the original art yet?

Hmmm - still not sure if I'm going to do that - what I *really* want to do is animate her, but I'm waiting for Dynamic Constraints to become more useable... or, maybe if they'd actually render the way they should....

Darklimit - I think her leg right where the metal thing is needs some tweaking also her hips.......

I could agree with the leg hoop - I wish AM had a "knife" tool like Lightwave - it would make putting a little "squeeze" there pretty easy - but then again, she's really meant to be animated and I don't think you'd ever notice it. As far as her hips, well, she's pretty stylized - and I'm not sure what you're suggesting(?)...

Pequod - Is it your basic warm and cool light setup?
My very tiny nit-pic is the veins on her feet look a tad dark.
Incidentally, if you are trying to decide, I prefer the nebulous background.

Yes, this is a high cool light, and a low warm light - with an additional "kicker" that only hits a few spots. I agree with the veins being a bit dark - I'm going to have to see if the latest version of AM hosed up my transparency settings - and I agree with you on the nebulous background - I like it better, too - but I'm still playing with some "temple-like" ideas... but sometimes, simple is best....

Also, just FYI, this image was "sweetened" in Photoshop as is my habit - I don't think there's a renderer out there that I wouldn't do some post work on...

Thanks again, guys :)

JoeW

BNicolucci
01-13-2004, 12:43 AM
Man, that is beautiful Joe, your work never ceases to impress.

On that "knife" note. How is it that Hamapatch has had a knife tool for over a year now (http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Ginza/6625/soft10.html), but AM still does not?

Brian

ypoissant
01-13-2004, 01:57 PM
Beautifull image Joe. In the tradition of the fantasy masters. Personally I like the hips. Concerning the thigh where the ring meet the skin, wouldn't a bump map work for this area?

Yves Poissant

JoeW
01-13-2004, 09:09 PM
Thanks, Nicco - I don't know why there's no knife tool... but there are other things I'd rather see right now (like dynamic bones that WORK!!) :) Right now, DC's work in choreography, and they work in Action, but they don't come through on the renderer - it's pretty annoying, really......

Thanks Yves - there *is* actually a bump map on the leg right around the hoop - you can see it if you look closely - it's the same type of setup as the bump that I used to make the impressions in her skin where the bikini straps cross her hips - I didn't set the map value super-high because bump maps tend to "fall apart" if you push them too hard..... Ah, well, once she's moving, I don't think you'll notice any of that...... :)

JoeW

makings
01-13-2004, 11:25 PM
Hi JoeW,

Just thought I'd add my congrats, that's (those?) a fine image... My work on CG has come to a flying stop :cry: due to other commitments, but last time I was fiddling around with Hash was based on that model... <sigh> It's great, really love the desktops as well...

Kind regards,

Mike Kingscott

Hutch
02-02-2004, 10:08 AM
I don't see anything wrong with her hips. I wish my girl had hips like that. Have you evr posted a wireframe of this model Joe? I'd sure love to see it.

JoeW
02-03-2004, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by Hutch
I don't see anything wrong with her hips. I wish my girl had hips like that. Have you evr posted a wireframe of this model Joe? I'd sure love to see it.

Y'know, it's a funny thing about hips... when I was younger, I used to not like the "hippy" look - now, I love it. Curves are critical - look at Salma Hayek. There are certain shapes that say to my brain "woman" - and for me, hips are part of those shapes. I'm not a fan of the "10-year-old-boy-with-boobs" look that so many fashion mags and women's mags seem to think is so beautiful. Of course, that could just be me.... :)

There is a wireframe of this model at:

www.hash.com/users/joewllms/cgtalk/BH_Wireframe.jpg

It's an older image - the pose still needed tweaking from this point - if you want to see the "final" image, look at this one:

www.hash.com/users/joewllms/cgtalk/BH_Sword_Pose.jpg

If you're looking for something different let me know...

And Mike, - make time for your 3D! Ya owe it to yourself! :)

JoeW

Zack
02-03-2004, 02:54 AM
Please post that in the finished work section! It will get plugged instantly.

Hutch
02-03-2004, 09:53 AM
That's very impressive Joe. Thanks for the link to the wireframe. Did play with bias on her abs? I wouldn't think you could get so much definition with that splinage. You know I have never been happy with the shape of my knees but I was afraid to add more spilnage thinking it would be a nightmare to animate. After seeing this I think I will try it. Thanks again, it was like a mini spline tutorial hehe.

JoeW
02-04-2004, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by Hutch
That's very impressive Joe. Thanks for the link to the wireframe. Did play with bias on her abs? I wouldn't think you could get so much definition with that splinage. You know I have never been happy with the shape of my knees but I was afraid to add more spilnage thinking it would be a nightmare to animate. After seeing this I think I will try it. Thanks again, it was like a mini spline tutorial hehe.

Yes, I did tweak bias and mag on her abs - just a touch. Most of the really good modelers I know don't use mag and gamma at all, but I like a very light mesh, so I do it to a small degree.

Knees.... it's hard to do them "right" - in "real life" there are those tendons on each side of the knee.... Anyway, if you smart skin them, they should work pretty well. I've got smartskin on the first 120 degrees of knee flexion, and I'll add more if I need it - but I hope I won't :)

Glad you could learn something from my "mess" :)

JoeW

makings
02-04-2004, 01:54 PM
And Mike, - make time for your 3D! Ya owe it to yourself! :)
JoeW [/B]

I'm trying, I'm trying!!! :)

I've done some more tweaking of my model, specifically concentrating on the ribs, but i'm still not done... I'm going to render out a fly-by/through/round just for critique, then I'm just going to stick the bones in...

Mike K.

makings
02-04-2004, 02:01 PM
Hi Joe,

Thanks for the words - I do need to make time, but it's a bit difficult at the moment (kid, ps2, business, etc). Still, i have worked on the model a bit more, mostly on the rib cage area, but it needs more work - I think I need to get out my Gray's Anatomy...

I'll post a movie soon (probably on here and Hash) of a fly-by/round, see what people think...

Kind regards,

Mike K.

PS - the "www.hash.com/users/joewllms/cgtalk/BH_Wireframe.jpg" link gives a 404...

JoeW
02-07-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by makings
Hi Joe,

I'll post a movie soon (probably on here and Hash) of a fly-by/round, see what people think...

Kind regards,

Mike K.

PS - the "www.hash.com/users/joewllms/cgtalk/BH_Wireframe.jpg" link gives a 404...

Looking forward to seeing it :)

I fixed the link - seems the commercials were dragging down the FTP server, so they moved the contents of the folder to a mirror site...

JoeW

gKay
02-09-2004, 12:55 PM
JoeW: this is awesome. Great work!

Just thought, i could post some of my older experiments I have done with A:M 99. Nothing special, just pure A:M and a bit of photoshop tweaking (shadows, accentuate lighting).

I still have the project files, if someone's interested...

http://www.cidconcept.ch/kunden/trailerneu.jpg

makings
02-17-2004, 02:05 PM
Looking forward to seeing it :)

JoeW

I'm just about to post the link in the Works In Progress thread...

Kind regards,

Mike K.

UrbanDragon
03-01-2004, 09:37 PM
This pic was created with some textures from eggprops.com and the skull model from eggprops.com - it's based on a t-shirt worn by Danae in the Non-Sequituur comic strip. The texture of the pool is a particle effect to get the bubbling.

http://www.hedgegoth.com/3d/heartpool3.jpg

JBarrett
03-10-2004, 11:43 PM
Guess I would've tossed this in here instead of the main list if I had any brain cells left. :P

http://www.jb-av.com/anims/friendfordinner.mpg (1.24 MB, MPEG-1)

Rip it up if you so choose!

Wegg
03-10-2004, 11:50 PM
Those models look familar. :-)

Good job.

pequod
03-11-2004, 08:19 PM
Justin, you must of expended all you brain cells on this piece! Great acting as usual.:bowdown:

3DArtZ
03-29-2004, 08:34 PM
Justin, I've seenthis many times and everytime I'm like "whoa, that rocks!!!"
I've been studying the lip shapes you hit for the lip synch and I have but only one question...
I think because of the darker shading in the mouth I can't see the tongue....
but is it animated? Like when he says "Longer", I can't tell if you have it pushed up against the back of the teeth....
Mike Fitz

JBarrett
03-29-2004, 08:53 PM
Yes, the tongue is animated in all the right places. :)

Pengy300
05-27-2004, 08:21 PM
A still scene I finally finished thanks to all the help I received at the A:M forums. Sorry for the compression

JBarrett
05-27-2004, 08:40 PM
Wow! Very nice work there! Any chance of seeing a larger image? I'd love to see all the detail in this setting.

Nicely done!

Pengy300
05-27-2004, 08:46 PM
Thanls you Justin. I also posted it in the showcase section of the Hash forum the pic is here http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=31740

zandoria
06-06-2004, 04:59 PM
http://www.zandoria.com/sunset.jpg

Cleaning-up my hard drive this week and reorganizing my libraries... decided to send this model to James to post on the "freemodels" page at hash.com.

pequod
06-06-2004, 09:22 PM
Nice:thumbsup:

Just as a finishing touch, why not airbrush a tiny specular highlight on his pupil to make the eyes come alive.:)

zandoria
06-21-2004, 03:33 AM
Finally finished my textures and added my sprite particles. Really makes this guy look mean!
http://www.zandoria.com/images/wip6-20-04.jpg

JoeW
06-21-2004, 03:37 AM
Lookin' Suwheeet William :)

Have you tried for the look in the movie? - that of a creature enveloped in smoke - so that you get glimpses of him... oooo - he's gonna look cool when you get him moving...

Keep us updated :)

JoeW

pequod
06-21-2004, 08:13 AM
Wow, that's big feature movie quality.:thumbsup:
Just as a finishing touch, you could put a small specular highlight in his eyes to make him really come alive.......... only kidding. :D

Dalemation
06-21-2004, 10:07 AM
That`s looking amazing! I can`t say anything else - just stunning

catnip
06-27-2004, 11:32 PM
Well, I finally finished Zoe, my zombie model. She had to be redone to accommodate the Cog rig. Hope you like it!

pequod
06-28-2004, 12:46 PM
Creepy :eek:
She needs a suitably erie environment to inhabit now......something like a shopping mall :)

PJC
07-09-2004, 12:48 AM
I did this a little while ago for the comic contest, but I don't think I shared these here.

http://www.ccpots.com/PJCdemo/pjccomic/Page1IMseqSM.jpg
LARGER VERSION (http://www.ccpots.com/PJCdemo/pjccomic/Page1IMseq.jpg)

http://www.ccpots.com/PJCdemo/pjccomic/Page2IMseqSM.jpg LARGER VERSION (http://www.ccpots.com/PJCdemo/pjccomic/Page2IMseq.jpg)

I am now in the process of converting everything over to the OSX version of AM 10.5 (I have a Mac now) and it's been pretty painless other than the Simbiont textures I was using.

I am planning on finishing up the idea (about 5-10 pages) but at WORK we have 4 games coming out at the same time so I've been a little busy.

Ah, the life of the Creative Director. :banghead:

- patrick j. clarke

cosmonaut
07-09-2004, 05:13 PM
Posted my Hairy contest entry, the wookie, over in the finished gallery:
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=154123

Have a look and let me know what you think.

Love that balrog by the way zandoria.

Kevin

raillard
07-10-2004, 07:32 PM
Posted my Hairy contest entry, the wookie, over in the finished gallery:
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=154123

Hello.

Good looking Wookie. Nice use of the new hair. Please enter him in the AM mascot contest.

Sincerely,

Carl Raillard

JBarrett
07-15-2004, 03:35 PM
Sweet wookie, Cosmo! Another wallpaper for my collection. :D

hoochoochoochoo
07-16-2004, 10:58 AM
Will the Balrog is awesome, are you going to animate him?

Cosmonaut.. I'm staggered by the wookie. His fur is wonderful. I'm going to watch and learn..

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.