PDA

View Full Version : >DUPLICATING CHARACTER< wrong materials, layers

syntetik
03-26-2003, 12:09 AM
I have duplicated my character by putting all objects under one group and then I used Duplicate>Duplicate Upstream Graph (World). Everything works fine fine, deformations, transformations etc.
But it seems like material and layer connections are being mixed. Some objects miss material at all and object layer membreship has been mixed.
If somebody has already duplicated whole character (succesfully), please give me some advice.

ACFred
03-26-2003, 12:29 AM
A good method for duplicating characters is to group everything, like you have, and then export that group to a file of it's own, making sure that all of the appropriate checkboxes are selected that will keep your textures & stuff in tact.

Then, you can just import that guy in. There are scripts out there that will remove duplicate textures of imported objects and I'm actually planning on writing one tonight, too.

Give that a go.

Alec

syntetik
03-26-2003, 06:00 PM
thanks.
I have done this by importing that guy and checking Group Option. But there are still some "uncovered" nodes like groups, blendShapes, clusters. Well, Im guessing how some studios are dealing with tens of duplicated characters in scene.

Im clearing off rendering nodes with ReduceMaterial.mel, that works good. But the rest clashing nodes are still question for me.
Though everything works fine so far. I dont like the long renamed names after clashing and error messages.

Ken Koala
04-04-2003, 06:42 AM
try creating a 'texture reference object' which is in the rendering menu-set under texturing. This will create a texture reference node with you then drag it into the character's group.

This should fix the texture problem

Ken
:beer:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.