PDA

View Full Version : how to animate faster?

Phredrek
07-20-2007, 10:17 PM
Hey everyone!

I was wondering if anyone has any good tips on how to animate faster?
My animation skills are pretty good but i just want to increase my speed.

any suggestions?

Thanks!

Bucket
07-21-2007, 01:42 AM
Hotkeys and some autokey can help. Good reference. First rough it out to get the idea. Fix the timing and add the tiny things last. In the end, it is something you learn. Speed comes with experience.

KielFiggins
07-21-2007, 04:27 AM
Less distractions. Avoid things like overly loud (or any at all) music, videos (such as dvds playing on a second monitor), instant messangers, phone calls, email alerts and other things that divert your attention and focus away from your work.

As mentioned above, hotkeys, automation and autokey are great base ways of improving speed and effiency.

RyanDHale
07-21-2007, 09:37 AM
I don;t know why you want to get quicker unless you are struggling to hit deadlines (seems like everyone is in a rush to do everything quickly these days!) That's the whole point of animation to me, is to enjoy what I am doing, doesn;t matter if it takes me a few hours to do basic bouncing ball or a few days. As long as I get the best result in the end. Obviously deadlines are the bane of every animator/filmakers life, but if you really want to help your animation along, it's all in the planning. Sit down and thumbnail your ideas first and exhaust your ideas that way. Then when you have a clear idea of where you are going, sit down in front of the computer and start work. Having that clear plan will aid you if getting results alot quicker and clearer, as you have already worked out the kinks. It also eliminates to urge to play and constantly tweak this and that, which always eats up hours. Of course you can deviate from your plans, and push actions and poses. The Animation Mentor crew all push the importance of planning as being crucial to creating great and effective animation. It has helped me at work no end. I no longer faff around and constantly tweak, it has improved my workflow tenfold

Hope that helps

R.D

Luddy
07-22-2007, 12:32 AM
-Quicker workflow ideas during the setup process.

If you use the graph editor alot, delete unimportant attributes you don't use.

Make the character with quick selectable controls.

Make a window(MEL) with a list of keyable animated joints and quick selectable controls.
Also add key and select buttons, with checked boxes for keying the whole character, upper body, head etc. If you script this once, it will be quicker the next time around.

Use reference to get the rough timing down. Add frame #'s with a compositing app. Study key poses, write the frame #'s down. etc.

ErikSvensson
07-22-2007, 01:24 AM
Coffee!

Erik

And what the others said.... it comes with experience. :thumbsup:

hakanpersson
07-22-2007, 01:37 AM
I second the coffea.

Also do not look upon your animation as a piece of art, if you see it as purely work, it will probably go faster. I cant say for your specific case, but artist generally tend to put alot love into the art when the audience wont even notice half of it. From another perspective, it's just a question of priority...

CGTalk Moderation
07-22-2007, 01:37 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.