PDA

View Full Version : purchasing light probes

JasonA
03-25-2003, 10:14 PM
Hi guys,

I'm wondering if someone can point me in the right direction for purchasing light probes (mirrored balls), either store wise, or prefferably online? Also, is there a particular recommended size for a light probe or is it simply a matter of bigger is better?

thanks for the help

danylyon
03-26-2003, 09:09 AM
try doschdesign.de (http://www.doschdesign.de/e_start/?PHPSESSID=bab33e42cd164a533fb29cded4f1e379). I haven't brought anything from them.. so I don't know if the quality is good.

plotz
03-26-2003, 12:37 PM
You can get a mirrored ball at most craft and lawn and garden stores. I've seen them at Target as well.

In terms of size, I guess it's really dependant on what kind of environment you're going to be putting it in.

If you're going to be putting it into a tabletop kind of environment, you'd need something smaller. If you're doing "human scale" then I think an 8"-12" ball would be adequate.

danylyon
03-26-2003, 04:43 PM
lol.. I guess I overlooked what's in your brackets.
Too long in front of this damn monitor...

bambam
03-27-2003, 06:24 AM
most due exactly what plotz said
gazing balls from lawn and garden stores
X-mas tree ornimants also..... glass ones

JasonA
03-27-2003, 03:28 PM
cool, thanks for the tips guys :thumbsup: as soon as you mentioned gazing balls, all of a sudden i found a bazillion links for all kinds of globes. So it shouldn't be a problem finding any. my only thoughts now are which is better, glass or stainles steel.

Apart obviously from their durability, I wonder if glass produces a better reflection than the stainless?

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.