PDA

View Full Version : Max 5, CS4 and scripting on a Biped

Mahlon
03-25-2003, 07:35 PM
Using Max 5, CS4, I'm just beginning to think about how to to get a kind of stretchy bone in the arms and legs the way Michael Comet's character rigger works. I'm not a real rigger, and certainly not a scripter, but I was able to understand and replicate his method which uses position scripts on the x axis (length axis) of the bones being 'pulled'.

Now, would it be possible to replicate this kind of method on a CS biped skeleton by using the sub-animation position controller?

The reason I am wanting to do this is because, first, the way Michael C. has it is very intuitive to animate with, and second, because I am running into the problem that you can't collapse the 'scale' sub-animation track into the .bip file so that the animation can be used in the animation mixer --which is important for this animation. If I could do that, I'd just use scale to create the stretching.

You can collapse the position and rotation tracks, though, so that's why I'm thinking in along these lines.

Anyone with experience scripting stuff for biped. Does it use the same maxscript conventions as regular flava maxscript? Is what I'm asking even possible on a biped?

Thanks,
Mahlon

michaelcomet
03-27-2003, 05:31 PM
I think Biped has it's own set of Max Script extensions, so you should probably check the Biped DOCS for info on that...but I don't think it allows a lot of stuff like customizing positions etc... That's one reason to use a custom rig insteasd of Biped....

Mahlon
03-27-2003, 08:44 PM
Thanks Michael, I look into it. I like your Char Rigger Rig and have emulated a lot of it in rigs of my own. The only reason I'm using a Biped Rig (actually, I'm getting kind of used to animating with it and starting to like it despite myself) is because I'll need to use the animations in the motion mixer. I really hope that discreet will give us a motion mixer-type interface for regular bones in the next release of max. In CS4, its a really useful feature. I've been looking at xsi nla a little bit and would love to have that kind of thing in max --which is almost there with CS4, but there's always that catch...it doesn't play nice with the rest of max.....

Oh well, thanks, and again, thanks for the Character Rigger script. I've learned a lot from that.

Mahlon Bouldin

michaelcomet
03-28-2003, 03:26 AM
Yeah there's a lot of things Biped does right. And regular bones like charRigger in Max can be quite a bit slow... so there's good reason to use it.

Good luck!

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.