PDA

View Full Version : 2 different render results from same scene

Favian001
07-19-2007, 04:39 PM
I have 2 scenes that are the same and I am getting 2 different results from 2 different pc's. One of them has an NVIDA Quadro FX4000 and the otehr has an NVIDIA Quadro FX 500/600...the weird thing is that the lower end card is giving me better results. Rendering in Mental ray with the same settings and lights...any suggestions or ideas would be great :thumbsup:

joit
07-20-2007, 08:14 AM
I have 2 scenes that are the same and I am getting 2 different results from 2 different pc's. One of them has an NVIDA Quadro FX4000 and the otehr has an NVIDIA Quadro FX 500/600...the weird thing is that the lower end card is giving me better results. Rendering in Mental ray with the same settings and lights...any suggestions or ideas would be great :thumbsup:

Hi,

it's hard to tell what you mean with better results... Is he OS the same on both machines? Did you cache your animations, uncheck optimize animation detection and don't use OpenGL to calculate your shadow maps?

Favian001
07-20-2007, 04:07 PM
This is what I mean....kinda doesnt make sense...my OS is the same ...i used your options joit with the same results:

High end card
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h267/favian_001/HighEndCard.jpg

Low end card
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h267/favian_001/LowEndCard.jpg

its just strange...any help is appreciated...

comic-craig
07-20-2007, 04:48 PM
It is an interesting issue. I can't be 100% sure without seeing the actual file- but my guess is that it might be a filtering issue. You should check two places- the assigned texture filter settings (on the file texture node)- and the filter settings in Mental Ray. Filtering makes images softer- this is better when they are moving to avoid the strobing effect of sharper images. Filtering takes render power- a low filter setting in Mental Ray (Box) will render much faster then a high filter setting (such as Lanczos). Also- as I said before- there is a filer built into assigned textures (on the file texture node). The issue you raise that the lower quality video card has a better render actually makes sense: filtering can speed up texture render- but it will slow down renders based on the Mental Ray settings. If you want to remove the filtered look- set your Mental Ray settings to filter = Box.... and set every texture you have to filter type = OFF. One big warning- these settings are not proper for animation renders. This is a huge struggle that some artists can't deal with- what looks great in a still frame looks annoying in animation. Its like motion blur- it looks weird when you pick just one frame- but without it, things pop in weird ways. In the end- its preference- one of my render leads only wanted us to render with Box, the other only with Lanczos.

The other thing to do is make sure the render settings are exactly the same- maybe save it out as a preset.

Good luck
Craig

Favian001
07-20-2007, 11:37 PM
for the input, I'll check it out and post an update!

Favian001
07-23-2007, 06:51 PM
still giving me the same issue...I contacted Autodesk, so I'll see if I cant resolve this. I think I might just use one pc to render on...still very strange.

comic-craig
07-23-2007, 07:49 PM
I guess my point was that your two computers might be handeling filtering differently? Once again- I'd have to actually have the computers in front of me to see it- but if one has an inferior graphics card, it might be doing its best to handle the filter settings. Still- interesting.

Favian001
07-23-2007, 08:44 PM
My bad guys...I had a lower resolution texture map on the one that was coming out fuzzy/less detailed. I just switched it with the original one and it's working great now. Thanks for everyones help !!

joit
07-24-2007, 07:47 AM
the good thing about computers is that everything has some kind of reason ;)

CGTalk Moderation
07-24-2007, 07:47 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.