PDA

View Full Version : F'd up VAIO - Mem dumps

singularity2006
03-25-2003, 06:58 PM
Okay, here's the situation:

Sony VAIO using Phoenix BIOS
Windows 2000 Pro SP2
NTFS file system

After installing WinDVD, system blue screen mem dumps on startup (after the colorful windows 2000 startup logo) and resets, preventing a normal boot. Safe mode, or any mode for that matter yields the same result. I'm @ the point where I'm just going to format and reinstall everything.

I've tried resetting the BIOS defaults, disabling all peripherals, and all sorts of stuff.... still mem dumps.

Ideas?

GregHess
03-26-2003, 02:29 AM
Er... what happens if you uninstall the dvd program?

PlanetMongo
03-26-2003, 03:26 AM
Most DVD player software for Windows, unfortunately, bites hairy balls. I've got PowerDVD and it's a most intolerable POS. However, I got it with my DVDROM, and as long as I'm careful about what else I'm doing when I watch DVD's, it seems to work fine.
If I had a choice, I'd go steal my old Creative Labs Dxr2 hardware decoder card (bonus: linux drivers and LEGAL) from my friend who bought my old system. But I digress.
Agreed with Mr. Hess there, while in safemode, uninstall that crap and see what happens.

Valkyrien
03-26-2003, 03:51 AM
heh, odd, i've never had any problems with PowerDVD whatsoever...:p

singularity2006
03-26-2003, 05:16 AM
That's the thing, I can't get into the OS to uninstall it. It keeps memory dumping before the OS loads up (infinite loop of mem dumps and reset). PowerDVD... I never use. I like ATI's DVD player. WinDVD was pretty shoddy too.

But yeah, the laptop is totally trashed up... formatting after finals are over.... :thumbsdow

DaForce
03-26-2003, 05:17 AM
singularity2006: Hmmm i recently installed windvd on my comp, win2k sp2, ntfs. And it went fine. I guess you just lucked out and hit some sort of bug. Considering that you can get into windows at all in any mode, i dont think there is much hope of fixing this unless you are able to disable the dvd software from starting up be editting the start up files.

singularity2006
03-26-2003, 05:20 PM
yeah, it's aight. No bigge. It's not even my laptop. Last year, I rebuilt my friend's desktop as a graduation gift and my friend's dad's laptop too (didn't really rebuild it, but I took most of the parts out, thoroughly cleaned them and put everything back together). Those two systems worked great for about a year...then someone had to install a DVD player on the laptop... which is weird because I thought I had installed one already. I think after finals I'll just format the sucker and get it back to normal. Only problem though is that I gave away all my DVD player software because I don't like any of them.... WinDVD and PowerDVD got really buggy for me so I stuck with just the ATI DVD player for my Radeon 8500LE. So yeah, I guess all's well in the world.. sorta... stupid phreaking math1b math... stupid phreaking integrals.... stupid phreaking C... -.-"

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.