PDA

View Full Version : FX Guru question

eric3dee
03-25-2003, 06:47 PM
tho I'm not new to Maya, I'm fairly new to FX work in Maya. I have an fx heavy shot which involves a tile floor which begins to fall away (into nothingness) tile by tile. I'm not asking for a tutorial on this or anything, but can someone give me a brief summary (or summaries) about how you might go about accomplishing this? Any help would be great. I've heard there was a similar type of shot in Spy Kids2 (tho I've not seen it.):shrug:

Jozvex
03-26-2003, 12:17 AM
Perhaps you could:

1. Make all the tiles active rigid bodies
2. Make a gravity field that has a spherical volume
3. Animate the size of the volume (starting at tiny then spreading out from the center of the tiles)

That should make the tiles progressively fall starting in the center and moving outwards.

sedric
03-26-2003, 01:37 AM
you could make all of the tiles active rigid bodies and connect them to a gravity feild..........then key the "ignore" attribute on when you want the tiles to be still.......then one by one key the ignore attribute off when you want them to fall....

the ignore attribute allows an active rigid body to ignore feilds....

hope that helps...

sedric

Jozvex
03-26-2003, 03:28 AM
Ok, I couldn't resist, I had to try my idea for myself.

So here's a playblast of my result:

http://www.geocities.com/jozvex/files/

Go there and download "tiles.avi", it's 1.4meg compressed with DivX 5.03.

The tiles are active bodies and there is a gravity field and a turbulence field expanding from the center outwards.

eric3dee
03-26-2003, 02:21 PM
GENIUS!:bounce:
I love these forums. I will actually probably combine both methods to achieve the look I'm going for. Now the trick will be combining the floor with live action (for film res no less!) Thanks so much for your help.

Jozvex
03-27-2003, 01:33 AM
Good idea,

Can you tell us what movie/show/project this will be for? It'd be fun to know what we helped you create.

eric3dee
03-27-2003, 06:52 PM
It is for a film trailer/short promoting an event. It will be shown this summer at the beginning of films at all United Artist theaters. A very cool project (and my first to be dealing with film res stuff!) Thanks again.

anthonymcgrath
04-01-2003, 08:54 AM
not sure if its been mentioned but I'd create a particle grid with a grid spacing of 1 unit, then create a tile or a few tiles and use the geometry instancer to attach a copy to each particle. play around with the aim direction to get the instances to rotate with the particles properly and apply some gravity with an animated volume shape (translation)

This would only really work tho if you just wanted to see the tiles fall and not actually hit the floor as that would look pap!

just quickly thinkin on me feet here - really must get back to work!

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.