PDA

View Full Version : Drink "sweat"

rdeyoung
07-19-2007, 07:50 AM
Ok, so im sure this has been asked a bazillion times.
But please dont hate. :D
I have in my maya 7.0 scene a soda can yes? And I want it to look cold, and quite refreshing. Therefore having water droplets or "sweat" is a must. Ive seen photoshop tutorials, displacement and what not, but I dont like the look of it. I would like to go for this look:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=132&t=487154&highlight=water+drops

Which ofcourse is particles.

Now, I have no experience in dynamics or particles whatsoever, but i am experienced in modeling, and animation so I do know my way around alittle bit.. And I dont have realflow. So im limited to maya 7.0 unlimited. So if anyone can give me a tutorial for n00bs on how to get that look above, i would appreciate it greatly.
Thanks

thomwickes
07-19-2007, 08:17 AM
this is a copy/paste from my comment on the thread below but i think it's applicable...

I'd go with goal driven blobby particles... there's a great example of this on the kolektiv particles for visual effects dvd (http://www.kolektiv.com/products.php). In fact, the pepsi can in the photo there is the exact example I'm talking about. Some fun particle expressions in there - I highly reccommend it.

Sphere♥
07-19-2007, 06:01 PM
rdeyoung, you could do this easily with Paint Effects. Try the brush: waterDroplets under waterMesh. "Make Paintable" the object on which you want the water droplets and paint away. Since the dropplets are an actual mesh, you can even render it using realistic IOR water material in mental ray or other.

rdeyoung
07-19-2007, 06:19 PM
yea i saw that, but i really dont have the 69 dollars to purchase that.

Hello Sphere,
nice idea, i didnt think of that. Ill give that a try now. Could you tell me more about the realistic IOR water material in mental ray? Is that a plugin? I havent really used mental ray, mostly renderman, which i currently dont have, and regular maya software render. Thanks again!

rdeyoung
07-19-2007, 06:52 PM
Im having some issues with the droplets in paint effects. I made the can paintable but its being painted on the inside of the can instead of the outside. Anyway to reverse that?

TomD
07-19-2007, 07:06 PM
taking a wild guess here: which way are your normals pointing?

rdeyoung
07-19-2007, 07:11 PM
You are correct. I went to edit nurbs> reverse surface direction.
Thanks

Sphere♥
07-19-2007, 08:46 PM
[...]Hello Sphere,
nice idea, i didnt think of that. Ill give that a try now. Could you tell me more about the realistic IOR water material in mental ray? Is that a plugin? I havent really used mental ray, mostly renderman, which i currently dont have, and regular maya software render. Thanks again!I just meant realistic raytraced water (IOR = index of refraction); not a plug-in, part of mental ray (for example: dielectric_material, see manual). But nevermind, use the Maya Software renderer since you are comfortable with it and it generally works well with Paint Effects.

rdeyoung
07-19-2007, 08:48 PM
Ill try that IOR thing. I am going for as realistic as i can

Als
07-19-2007, 11:17 PM
The difference might be in animation. If you need those to animate, then you need bloby particles.
Check out rain on window thread, this is a start for same effect.
There is also script on highend for doing waterdroplets, based on same thing, particles with nurbs UV goal...
Here is my contribution, from few years back...

http://als.cgsociety.org/gallery/358649/

Als

rdeyoung
07-20-2007, 12:02 AM
nah no animation, just a still. But it has to look like water drops that are commiing down from the can.

I checked that thread and downloaded the file, but it says script error. And nothing loads. Also, I dont know how to "create particles on object, nurbs plane, with parent create UV, then use goal U and V and create expressions to move them."

What would be the best thing that Im looking for, is have particles or circular things and have them randomly placed, random sized on the can, then add some kind of slight gravity to it to those particles to make it look as if it is dripping down the can. You know? That would be best.

Als
07-20-2007, 04:33 PM
I would then recomend too that you get that video from kolektiv.
Everything is explained in detail, and you will be able to do the job.

Als

rdeyoung
07-23-2007, 06:02 AM
Thanks guys, ill look into it

CGTalk Moderation
07-23-2007, 06:02 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.