PDA

View Full Version : Hay Wegg, how about a brief history of Eggington Prod., if you have the time

gra4mac
03-25-2003, 06:57 PM
Wegg. Since some of us, here and on the main forum, are interested in how small studios have formed, I thought you might want to give us the beneffit of your experience, Please. :applause:

Cheers, Graham

balistic
03-25-2003, 07:20 PM
Creation I

In the beginning there was Wegg, and from #hash3d of EFNet he did enlisteth Joeseph of Cosman and Prince Brian of Burl as his loyal artisans. There was much ballyhoo and revelry (and Quake 2).

From the cluttered and sulfurous depths of Wegg's parents' basement, a game known as Rampage the Third was created, and it was good, despite only getting a 3.5/10 at Daily Radar. Wegg smoteth Daily Radar, and they are now out of business. Ha!

Exodus I

With great furvor and toil, Wegg and Joe and Brian moved a bunch of Pentium 2s into the basement of a physician gynecological, and thus was born the first office. T'was dirty and well-trodden, but the rent was cheap, and there was much ballyhoo and revelry (and Quake 3).

*cough*

I should probably get back to work before he cans me.

My Fault
03-25-2003, 07:39 PM
Were there only the 3 of you, I thought there were other Eggheads?

Wegg
03-25-2003, 07:49 PM
No no. . . go on. . . This is damn funny.

JoeCosman
03-25-2003, 08:08 PM
exodus II

And people from the land of Educators came unto The house of Eggington.

And they did smite Eggington with noisy Children and boisterous adults which runneth through the halls and leaveth handprints on the office glass.

and the people of Eggington did leave Buttprints on the opposite side, yay, they did also increase their balyhoo and Revlery(and quake3)

and it came to pass that the Educators did bring their forces upon the lord of the house of Eggington, yea, even he who did'st charge rent to the people of Eggington.

And the Educators did Rally against the Lord of the house, and did use their loans and Deeds to drive The people of Eggington out of that household.

And William Eggington said, "let us go and seek the land of our forefathers of Sapphire, and make thine of their house, which they hath abandoned, and build up again our business"

and the people of Eggington did depart the land of the Educators.
And the Educators did fall, exceedingly so, that their house was barren, and the lord of that house did put a 'for Rent' sign on the door. permanently.

And it came to pass that the people of Eggington did come upon the abandoned house of Sapphire, and dids't make it their own.

And there was much ballyhoo and Revelry(and Quake3)

balistic
03-25-2003, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by My Fault
Were there only the 3 of you, I thought there were other Eggheads?

Eggy roster in chronological order to the best of my recollection (* indicates present employee):

William Eggington*
Joe Cosman*
Brian Prince (me)*
Glen Crowell
Suzan Ponte
Scott A. Young
Alisha Astle
Nathan Lindsay*
David Sykes
Sky Flygare*
Raji Barbir*

Billy's wife Jennifer also does some accounting stuff for us.

Not exactly a multinational economic force with a team of corporate ninjas, but we've got a pretty nice office now. The spiders hardly ever bite us.

Wegg
03-25-2003, 08:18 PM
Lesweatacus 1

Yea, and the house of Eggington was well. But as the seasons change, so does the wrath of the sun.

As the slaves toiled and the temperature rose, the house of Eggington went to the orb on the wall and turned the dial. Low and behold. . . nothing happened. And the lord of the house said "DOH!". And the members of the house chastized their lord as they toiled.

Yea, now in the warm glow of irony. . . the house of Eggington toil at helping Bryant sell air conditioners. . . as we once again face another year without the conditioning of our air.

JoeCosman
03-25-2003, 08:25 PM
And there was weeping and wailing and clicking of Mice. Yea, even unto sweating stinkbags sitting in chairs during the summer months.

and William said 'let us purchase a swamp cooler, that we may not suffer heat stroke, and our computers may bring forth the fruits of our labor'

and william went to the land of Lowe's and did purchase a swamp cooler, that the house of eggington would not be sore from the heat.

and the cooler worked for one day and 3 hours. and it did generate a foul odour which had to be cleansed. but it did hold for the season, and the people were productive.

and there was much ballyhoo and revelry(and Return to Castle Wolfenstein)

balistic
03-25-2003, 08:28 PM
Also, a list of projects we've worked on (based on my flakey memory):

Footage for Kodak Image Bank

Rampage Through Time (Playstation game)

"Man in the Moon" pre-production trailer

"Paw Island" proof of concept trailer

Eggprops (http://www.eggprops.com)

Create-a-Friend kiosk animation

Short film featuring the Orc (unfinished)

Unreleased Playstation 2 game

NCAA College Football 2k3 (Dreamcast game)

Unreleased in-house game project

"X-Factor" animated TV series (in production)

commercial for an air conditioning mfr.

various things that should probably stay secret for a while.

and the cooler worked for one day and 3 hours. and it did generate a foul odour which had to be cleansed. but it did hold for the season, and the people were productive.

Oh man, don't remind me of that smell *scrubs nostrils*

My Fault
03-25-2003, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by Wegg
Yea, now in the warm glow of irony. . . the house of Eggington toil at helping Bryant sell air conditioners. . . as we once again face another year without the conditioning of our air.

Dude, you try to help them sell air conditioners and they don't give you one.... that's just cold! :p

JoeCosman
03-25-2003, 08:36 PM
The book of KungFu.

and from across the deserts came a visitor to the house of Eggington. and he called himself KungFuDork.

And KungFuDork did travel to all the houses requesting knowlege in the graphics of computer, yea, even to traveling beyond the land of Pixar.

and he dids't come upon the house of Eggington asking of this thing, and the people of Eggington dids't take him in and tell him of the requirements.

and KungFuDork dids't take a picture of the Eggington Crew, and dids't depart unto the land of his fathers.

Yea, even to this day, he is the seeker of knowlege of Graphics from Computer. yea, we wish him well on his journey.
thus saith William, Oi.

Raji
03-25-2003, 08:42 PM
Then the lord of the company thought it was meet that he should hire an arab...!!

And the lord of the house said "DOH!". And the members of the house did chastize their lord!!!!!

And the members of the abode did gather together to plot against the arab and they did stop playing Quake 3 and Return to Castle Wolfenstein and all that was good and chose to play BattleField 1942 instead...

And it came to pass that the original poster's question got answered in old english.

Even so. Amen.

The spiders hardly ever bite us.
mostly cause i squish 'em :p

gra4mac
03-25-2003, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Raji

And it came to pass that the original poster's question got answered in old english.

Gee guys, I should feel honoured that you all took so much time out of your pressing schedule and game playing, but..

What about "Boids of a Feather?"

Cheers, Graham

balistic
03-25-2003, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Graham Clark

What about "Boids of a Feather?"

EggProd didn't actually have anything to do with that. Boids was done by a group of people from the A:M list, headed by Ed Lynch. I did some stuff for it, but that was cut short when I decided to move out to Utah and work for Wegg. Glen and Sue worked on it also . . . in fact I believe they came up with all the characters and whatnot. Man, seems like ages ago . . .

gra4mac
03-26-2003, 12:33 AM
Let me see if I have this wright. One day Wegg wakes up and out of the blue decides to make a game. Joe and Brian think this is a great idea and move to Utah to join in. You guys hammer away in Wegg's basement for a while, produce a game, and the rest , as they sayeth, is history. Cool.

Cheers, Graham

howardt
03-26-2003, 12:34 AM
Well this thread was well worth a browse. Thanks for brightening up my day.

balistic
03-26-2003, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by Graham Clark
Let me see if I have this wright. One day Wegg wakes up and out of the blue decides to make a game. Joe and Brian think this is a great idea and move to Utah to join in. You guys hammer away in Wegg's basement for a while, produce a game, and the rest , as they sayeth, is history. Cool.

Joe already lived out here, but I was going to college in Nevada, so it took a couple months of deliberation on my part before I made it out. That was in '98 (or version 6, in Hash years).

Doing this TV show has taught us a lot about what it takes to do big stretches of animation. All of us are much better artists now than we were back then, and we've trained some very talented people along the way too. Sky had never built a 3D model a year ago and now he's our main set and prop builder. Raji and Nate are both rising animators. It's cool to see stuff like that . . . and its fun to pool our collective knowledge and bounce ideas off each other.

And shoot virtual guns at each other in Battlefield 1942.

Your tank is toast, wegg. Live in fear.

Wegg
03-26-2003, 02:13 AM
Oh your goin down wussy boy. . . goin down. . .

gra4mac
03-26-2003, 02:22 AM
Do you think we should report this last post to the mod for being off topic? [big cheesy grin]

Cheers, Graham

kungfudork
03-27-2003, 05:50 AM
wow, i can't believe it! the planets must be in alignment or something...........did i read joe's post correctly? the crazy guy in the van is part of eggington history?! i am speechless(...not typless though)!

i really want to thank you guys for letting me hang out for a bit and not making me feel like some dumb kid trying to fit in where he doesn't. my eggington visit was the most memorable part of my adventure........honestly, you guys are the reason i still haven't lost interest in the 3D industry and why i try to make time to keep improving my 3D skillz(which, honestly are still lacking). you guys seemed like a big family, and that is the kind of job i want to find, eventually.
(do i say honestly too much?.............honestly?)

you guys rock! thanks again! i hope you are all doing well and good luck with your new projects!

Long live the House of Eggington!

laterz,
kungfudork
(...i didn't mean to get all serious/sappy and stuff.......hahahaha)

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.