PDA

View Full Version : Render to texture functionality

BigSky
07-18-2007, 11:00 PM
In lightwave, a plugin was included in V9 from tuff little unit's cctv plugin for lightwave:

http://www.tufflittleunit.com/produ...CCTV1.0_Doc.pdf

This shader calculates some ray intersections to produce a variety of "render to texture" implementations which look very interesting. From the pdf - "In short, CCTV is a shader that paints a view of the scene on a surface." I was wondering if someone knows if this sort of job is possible with maya, as a shader/phenomenon/ or thru mel/py(sure!) or api? Any hints, directions, etc would be most appreciated.

trancor
07-19-2007, 05:43 AM
The link doesn't work, but do you mean subsurface scattering?

Mental ray has subsurface scattering, freflections, refractions, and the what not. Just look into the mental ray shaders. But that stuff takes longer to render, but look really really nice.

f1 and google are friends for finding out the ammount of stuff you can do with those shaders.

I'm pretty sure I'm misunderstanding what you want to do though.

trancor
07-19-2007, 05:47 AM
Enless you just want to render from a camera and then use the render as a reflection map, or simply the color of it.

It wouldn't be that hard to write a script to take the angle of reflection from a surface, and angle and place a camera in another area of the scene, so one can make a exact reflection for a very strange reflection map. Hmm, that gives me ideas. heh

BigSky
07-20-2007, 02:03 PM
It wouldn't be that hard to write a script to take the angle of reflection from a surface, and angle and place a camera in another area of the scene, so one can make a exact reflection for a very strange reflection map.

No. it wouldn't, and that's what I'm suggesting. We agree it's possible - where would you start?

tbaypaul
07-20-2007, 06:27 PM
looks like a resource intensive shader......It has to be c++, mel can't quite handle that type of stuff, and a python scripted shader node will work, but it will take forever to render....try this in the api.....MRenderUtil::raytrace(). This utility method provides functionality to raytrace from within a shader plug-in.

trancor
07-21-2007, 11:15 AM
well, true, mel can't do the REAL form of this, if you want to reproduce angles and such. But if you use some simple math that to find the angle of the camera to the object. You can find and angle of reflection and then use the simple render as a form of reflection. Obviously it isn't going to look EXACTLY what everything would look like for reflecting, but that is when maps come in handy. But as for just putting a flat view on a plane, like a the jumbo-tron at a football game, that would look nicer.

But BigSky just wants to put a render of another camera as a texture, not raytrace.

Or you can simply do a render layer, swap in scenes, swap out renderable schene with the background and then another with the object reflectin the background. But I don't know exactly how well that would work, you might need to render just the object and use it as a mask when compositing.

Mel can do this, but it would take a few hours to write up, time I don't really have right now. But it would need to render the cameras separately.

There might be a plugin for this already. Check highend3d.com

CGTalk Moderation
07-21-2007, 11:15 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.