PDA

View Full Version : 200 GB HD Not showing up!!!

Volker
03-25-2003, 06:34 PM
I just got the WD 200GB HD, and I hooked it up to my ECS K7AMA 1.2 Athalon. When I boot up, the bios reads the HD as 138 GB instead of 200. I checked the IDE cable to make sure it was ATA100, and that was fine, my only guess is the bios. Any other ideas? Thanks,

~Zach

Signal2Noise
03-25-2003, 06:52 PM
I'm not up to speed yet on these massive storage drives. Perhaps updating your BIOS will help. Also, what o/s are you running. Does your o/s recognize the drive as being 200GB?

Just thoughts...:shrug:

GregHess
03-25-2003, 07:00 PM
You need both a Bios Update, and a Software Update to support over 136 gigs. (www.microsoft.com, use the knowledge database)

Many older motherboards will not support past this limit as well...you may need to invest in a controller card.

Nando
03-25-2003, 07:36 PM
I got the retail package WD200Gb with a pci promise IDE control and works great all 200GB's :thumbsup:

CgFX
03-25-2003, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Nando
I got the retail package WD200Gb with a pci promise IDE control and works great all 200GB's :thumbsup:

Good Lord, read the freakin' manual that came with the drive. It even has pictures for those that have some trouble. :-)

BTW, Nando, all 200 GB??? Don't think so. Those are marketing 200 GB. The drive formats to 187 GB. :-) Funny how 13 GB is now a marketing round off error.

I have two of them in a stripe. $200 at Micro Center, Wahoo! $1/GB (ignoring the marketing GB thing) and fast as poop through a goose.

CgFX
03-25-2003, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by GregHess
You need both a Bios Update, and a Software Update to support over 136 gigs. (www.microsoft.com, use the knowledge database)

Many older motherboards will not support past this limit as well...you may need to invest in a controller card.

Greg,

Not sure about a BIOS update. This would only apply if you are trying to use an onboard IDE controller that even has the ability to upgrade to this.

The real stumbling block is the OS. The most modern Windows OS'es can only see 137GB. The windows default driver for the promise card that comes with the drive works but you can't see the drive at its proper size. Updating the driver for the included controller card is the only thing I needed to do.

GregHess
03-25-2003, 10:25 PM
Cgfx,

I really was just throwing out general ideas. Not much information was given, and I was tired :). Thanks for refining the help.

Nando
03-25-2003, 11:05 PM
Cgfx:
ur right sir not all 200GB but more than the 136GB limit

;)
ya I got mine for 179.00 as long as the rebate goes thru origanlly purchased at CompUSA

CgFX
03-26-2003, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by Nando

ya I got mine for 179.00 as long as the rebate goes thru origanlly purchased at CompUSA

$179!? Holy crap! That is _really_ less than $1/GB for the 187GB formatted. I think you had more hanging in the rebate though, right? I think yours was ~$150. That was too much of a rebate for me. I was already uncomfortable with the $65 from microcenter.

My out of pocket was only $265 which was still about $100 less than most places in case I didn't get the rebate. Luckily it showed up last week. :-)

Volker
03-26-2003, 06:57 PM
CgFx, thanks for the sarcasm, and had I not bought the drive OEM, yes, I would have already gone through the manual.

I am trying to use my onboard IDE controller, and I'm using XP Pro.

I'll check Microsoft's site....

Thanks guys,

~Zach

CgFX
03-26-2003, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Babyhopper
CgFx, thanks for the sarcasm, and had I not bought the drive OEM, yes, I would have already gone through the manual.

Oh, my pleasure. :-)

Just my ongoing frustration of end-users buying OEM product (meant for those that know these issues) vs. the retail product that explains all this stuff. Then using all our time or customer supports time to help get it going.

At least you saved some money and found people willing to help. :-)

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.