PDA

View Full Version : peeling an apple

superhypersam
07-18-2007, 11:04 PM
Hello all,

trying to create a apple peeling anim,
the type where large pieces of skin peel back and even sprial as they fall back

rigging the skin would work(kinda), but I have several diff apples, so the more procedural the better

anyone got any ideas?

cheers
'
sam

BrandonD
07-18-2007, 11:14 PM
Hey Sam, you've probably already tried this, but sometimes the simple things are overlooked. In eons past, I did some peeling (and curling) sheet metal effects using a series of Bend modifiers. This was taken a step further with that super bending plugin Scott & Steve wrote - Twist-o-matic - or something along those lines. The thing is that I had to "pre-score" the geometry so that it would split when it peeled away. I'm in linux-land right now, so I can't check it for you, but that was the gist of how it was done.

PiXeL_MoNKeY
07-18-2007, 11:49 PM
Twist-O-Rama from the Blurbeta plugins.A bend modifier for curling things up. Does sea shells, corkscrews etc.You should be able to grab the latest version from the Splutterfish site here (http://www.splutterfish.com/sf/WebContent/BlurPack).

Once the intial effect is done you could use similar scoring and maybe skinwrap to apply the same effect to other apples. Or you could use some procedural using spline ik and skin to peel the per-cut skin off.

-Eric

superhypersam
07-18-2007, 11:51 PM
Oh yeah twist-o-matic, have not used that in years! Good idea.

Yeah itís funny; with all the new tools these days itís easy to overlook the simple hack solution.

Personally, I would prefer a make cool peeling effect button, but then they would not pay us the "Big Bucks" (hah)

cheers

s

paco33
07-18-2007, 11:52 PM
whats the function of that plugin??? is form modelling or what??

superhypersam
07-18-2007, 11:59 PM
its a bend modifier with more options, nice an simple.

CGTalk Moderation
07-18-2007, 11:59 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.