PDA

View Full Version : how do I seperate collors for screen printing

Riptyde
03-25-2003, 04:20 PM
I have a t-shirt logo that I need to have screen printed and I need to give the print shop the color seperations so they can make the screens. does any one know how to do this?

Thanks

Riptyde

Ian Jones
03-26-2003, 09:40 AM
The best thing for you to do is ask the printer themselves. Make sure you know how many colours your allowed to use... eg 3 or 4? etc...

If you click on your channels pallete, you will see (if you are in RGB mode)

RGB
RED
GREEN
BLUE

Clicking on any individual channel colour reveals a grayscale image of 'ink' coverage. So the black areas indicate that for example thats where the printing plate will print the red, green and so on...

If you are using 'spot colours' which is likely with t-shirt screen printing, then you need to put your indivudal colours onto individual channels so that your printer can take the channel information, make a screen for 'red' or whatever and then print the red ink onto the shirt thru the screen... the process then continues for each indivual colour. You need to provide them with a grayscale / black and white image of each colours coverage area, which as I hopefully have explained clearly is what you use 'channels for.

Hope that helps.

qwatkins
03-27-2003, 12:31 AM
You have a couple of ways to do it depending on the content of your file. If your file contains any photos and you want to reproduce those photos the you will need to convert your file to CMYK. If your file contains only vector graphics (i.e. no photos) then you can actually go into the channels palette and add a new channel for each of the colors that you are going to use (i.e. Pantone 376c). The only information that needs to be on each of the new channels is the areas that are going to "receive ink" which will appear in black with white being "no ink" and the various levels of grey inbetween will either allow more or less ink as they move toward black or white. Once these new channels are created you can throw away the RGB channels altogether. If you need further explaination just reply with your question and I will see if I could help.

windowlicker
03-27-2003, 06:04 PM
I have never tried to do this in PS, and neither did I see that option in the print dialogue, but if you have Adobe Illustrator, it has something called "Separation Setup" in the "print"-dialogoue (when you press Ctrl+P).

Click "Separation Setup", open a PPD-file (like "Acro Dist.ppd" in the ..Illustrator\Utilities\PPD) and print. Then you'll get a PDF-file with separated colors, cropmarks, callibration bars and what not.

Good luck!

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.