PDA

View Full Version : weighting issue or corrupted rig?

bubbafrye
07-17-2007, 04:33 PM
Hello and thank you in advance for any feedback.

I am creating a series of outfits (meshes) for a character. There are several scene files that consist of tops, bottoms, full-body assets, shoes etc. that are used to populate a 'dress up doll' kind of UI.

I am referencing the rig (fskel.ma) into the different scenes and weigting each asset to that referenced file. My development team is using jMonkey (Java) to render the final output with a Collada exporter converting the files into .dae format.

Here is the issue. As of late, certain files come into the jMonkey engine with their wieghting all crazy messed up - verts shooting all over the place. At first it thought it was something with the Collada exporter, but on closer inspection within Maya I am seeing a node in the Inputs section of my channel box titled fskelRN. Not all of the files are having problems, but in all of the ones that are, this fskelRN appears - to date i have not seen this in the files that render correctly.

If I delete this node in the command line via delete fskelRN; the node goes away, but I am unable to save the file afterwards.

Again, suggestions are welcome. Thanks

------------
using Maya 8

trancor
07-17-2007, 10:10 PM
Delete non deformer history on the rig? Or if that doesn't work you may have to delete deformer history as well. But if you do that, you'll need to rerig the model. it's doing one of those things that the rig moves to one area but the verts either don't move or jump back to the original position?

It might just be a history problem.

But if that doesn't work, you might want to try cleaning up and merging the verts and the object itself. This might fix any weird geometry setup in the model.

But all of this might be bad for the rig, You should save out the painted weights before you mess with the history, and reapply them after word, this should reapply the current weights back to the model when you rig it back up.

bubbafrye
07-17-2007, 10:26 PM
thanks for your reply.

I did delete non-deformer history.

I am able to delete deformer history and re-bind with no ill effects, but then I loose the weighting.

If I try and save the weighting out, delete history, re-rig, copy weights back on... the verts still freak out - only without the fskelRN displaying in the Inputs box.

This only appears on a handful of files, but poses a few days of re-weighting if I don't find a soultion.

I'm sure there is a connection to this node in the Input box and the error - I just can't seem to figure it out......

Thanks again for your suggestions.

glaforte
07-25-2007, 03:13 PM
Hello,

The "fskelRN" node is a reference node. ColladaMaya's support for external references does not cover everything. In 3.03, especially, it does not cover the dependencies of a skin binding completely. Here's a couple of things to try:

1) Check the "Dereference XRef" export option.
2) Before your export, force Maya to import to external referenced data into your scene. You can do that in Maya's Reference editor.

Sincerely,
Guillaume Laforte
Feeling Software Inc.
http://www.feelingsoftware.com/

refract
08-05-2007, 06:10 AM
Ah, the old Collada import/export fbx obj issue.
Save a version of your good skinned mesh and reference it in to your messed up version and use 'copy weights'. maya 8.5
It will get u 99 percent of the way back to where you where.
Best way around this.
(select messed up version, delete skin, rebind bones to that mesh, then reference in good skinned mesh, and use, copy weights.)

twedzel
08-10-2007, 11:28 PM
I've had a problem simular to this using referencing. Where a meshes weighting goes bonkers even though the base file being referenced is still peachy keen. I couldn't find where the mess up was occuring. I put it down to the referencing adding another FuQ to the whole system. The quickest solution I found was to reference in a new version of the file with the weighting good, and transfer the animation from the crap version to the good version, then clear out the crap version.

refract
08-11-2007, 07:47 AM
Not sure if this is just referencing, but adding/removing influences (which is what you are doing to the reference) messes up the skinning on a referenced mesh.

Glaforte mentioned that Collada does not support everything which is true. Bones with dependencies such as set driven keys, or expressions are not supported. Also, if your original rig was in a different position than your new rig, then the original "bind pose" will mess it up too.

Make an empty Maya file, make a reference to the rig, make a reference to the mesh, then skin it to that file and save it as a new file....{and keep the references of course}
Later, if you are adding or removing objects to that file, delete the bind pose on it, and skin...(save a copy of the good skinned mesh to reference in later to reskin back to). use 'copy weights'.

CGTalk Moderation
08-11-2007, 07:47 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.