PDA

View Full Version : How do I optimize Maya to take full advantage of my PC?

madskillz18
07-17-2007, 04:49 PM
I have a Quad Processor with 3.5 gigs of RAM. Whenver I render Maya won't fully use all 4 processors. It just uses a fraction of it. Also when it comes to RAM it won't use more than 700MB of it. It's frustrating because I have a PC that's quite capable, but I can't take advantage of the extra power. Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

I guess I should mention that I'm using Vista 32bit and maya 8.5
I'm trying to convince them to get XP64 instead and upgrade past 4 gigs of RAM.
Thanks guys.

trancor
07-17-2007, 05:35 PM
Well, that is only if you render an ipr or just in the render window, right? If you batch render it should use all 4 cpus fully. Maya the software uses all of the cpu when rendering as well, but it displays it differently. Maya is using like one cpu alot and all the rest not as much?

http://upload.metal-asylum.net/cgtalk/renderCPU.jpg

That is me rendering out fur in maya on my duel core, it's definitely using 100%, but it just doesn't show it like that. Vista or xp, it does the same.

If you can get 64 installed, you should. Would do well on a quad. And it would probably use more ram. I'm running 64 and it uses much more ram. But when you batch, the mayabatch.exe should use alot more ram than maya.

madskillz18
07-17-2007, 07:08 PM
Hi. Thanks for the response. :)

I tried doing a batch render and it's still not using all of the processors fully. Peak processing use was at 60% with an average of 40%. It's as if it's distributing all the tasks equally to the four processors.

Crazzy Legs
07-17-2007, 09:53 PM
The documentation used to recommend, "768 MB RAM per Processor". I don't know if that related to the Maya Renderer though. I tried to find it online to post here, but couldn't. There are some with greater authority on the subject then myself, pay attention to what they say.

slatr
07-17-2007, 10:27 PM
You set mental ray to use more than 1 processor and you never see 100% utilization?

trancor
07-17-2007, 10:42 PM
Well, all I know is when I set up a batch render in dos, it goes to 100, and if I'm rendering in maya, maya doesn't use 100% of the cpus, even though it is, it doesn't display it as that.

kumarC
07-19-2007, 10:41 AM
Hi,
Recently tried maya 8.5(32 bit) with xp 64 on a quad core system with 3.97 gb ram and tried rendering a fluid based test scene(maya renderer) for benchmarking and maya did use all the procs at full.

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/5317/procaq2.jpg

(http://img181.imageshack.us/my.php?image=procaq2.jpg)

hakanpersson
07-19-2007, 12:53 PM
You also mentioned it only used 700mb ram, would I be out surfing if I said ram hardly matter at all when it comes to render? its pretty much depending 100% on your cpu.

yann22
07-19-2007, 01:56 PM
sorry, you're out surfing :D, RAM is terribly important

madskillz18: does it happen in both SW and Mray? what kind of scene are you using?
E.g. Final Gather should always max your CPU and a lot of big textures can max out he RAM quickly, depending on the settings.

tfritzsche
07-19-2007, 02:17 PM
madskillz18

I second slatr's question above.

Have you are setting MR to use 4 threads?
Have you have set the memory limit up from the default 800?
Have you verified the settings in the mental ray render log?

thomas

hakanpersson
07-19-2007, 02:20 PM
sorry, you're out surfing :D, RAM is terribly important
...a lot of big textures can max out he RAM quickly

off topic a little, but the rendering itself is pretty much 100% processordependant right? So its the textures and memory swapping that requires the ram?
I have hardly touched the renderbutton in years:) I only have memories that our crappy schoolcomputer rendered faster than my home pc, just because they had faster cpus (rest was crappier)

TheNeverman
07-19-2007, 03:00 PM
The CPU must load data into RAM to work on it though. Textures use ram, but so does the scene geometry, MEL scripts, particle data, etc...

The computer is only as fast as it's weakest link, so a shortage of RAM is going to hamper performance vs. a machine with an abundance.

off topic a little, but the rendering itself is pretty much 100% processordependant right? So its the textures and memory swapping that requires the ram?
I have hardly touched the renderbutton in years:) I only have memories that our crappy schoolcomputer rendered faster than my home pc, just because they had faster cpus (rest was crappier)

DrYo
07-19-2007, 07:18 PM
Memory limit of 800 megs? What is that about? I don't use Mental Ray... why on earth would there be a limit to memory usage, and why would that be enabled by default? Sounds like pure insanity to me. If someone can explain the logic behind this, I'd be most appreciative.

phyllit
07-20-2007, 10:21 AM
the memory limit is there to prevent mental ray from crashing. it loads up to the max amount of memory given in the settings and then clears the ram again so it will ideally never get beyond the point where it could run out of memory.

you also have to remember that your os uses ram and if you run other applications parallel to maya, they also use ram, so the limit does make sense...

madskillz18
07-23-2007, 01:58 PM
Hi guys. Thanks for the responses.

I set the multithread to 4, set the RAM limit to 2.5 gigs, and I tried rendering in MR and using Maya Renderer. No dice. I still only get about 25-50% of my processors and very little RAM.

A final gathered scene I worked on before took about 1 hour to render, whereas on my old dual core 2 gig PC it took 40 minutes. For the life of me I can't figure out this problem. I'm thinking of reinstalling Maya to see if that helps.

CGTalk Moderation
07-23-2007, 01:58 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.