PDA

View Full Version : new box before I buy maya

invisible
03-25-2003, 11:14 AM
from what i understand of the licensing I should buy a new fast machine before I get maya since - it will cost to transfer the license to another machine is this true.

my machine is crap but want to get maya bad what to do...

danylyon
03-25-2003, 01:09 PM
The License is locked to your Ethernet card (your network card). So.. you can change your machine as much as you want.. you just need to take your network card with you and install it on your new machine.

Maya Ayanami
03-25-2003, 06:31 PM
I dont know. well it depends.
whenever i am off of my network my ethernet address is allways either all "0" or all "f" so I dont think that it matters if you are working idependatly without a network connection. I dont know though.

hey and when did you get interested in Maya anyways

invisible
03-25-2003, 08:15 PM
have used lightwave on a mac since january and have good results but I see the limitations and want to take my work further - but its expensive, must buy hard and soft - double ouch

danylyon
03-25-2003, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by Maya Ayanami
whenever i am off of my network my ethernet address is allways either all "0" or all "f" so I dont think that it matters if you are working idependatly without a network connection. I dont know though.

Well it's not dependent if you're connected to a network or the internet. You just need your network card installed and the standard drivers have to run.

It's not locked to the IP it's a different internal Number which happens to be unique on every network card. So basically your network Card is "misused" as a dongle.

Maya Ayanami
03-27-2003, 07:46 PM
then why when I was conected to my notwork and started maya I got the no suitible lisense error.
then whenever I unpluged wored perfectly fine.
I even used the lmtools ap. and the ethernet changed. when i was on and off

Matt
03-28-2003, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by danylyon
It's not locked to the IP it's a different internal Number which happens to be unique on every network card.

Short for Media Access Control address, a hardware address that uniquely identifies each node of a network. In IEEE 802 networks, the Data Link Control (DLC) layer of the OSI Reference Model is divided into two sublayers: the Logical Link Control (LLC) layer and the Media Access Control (MAC) layer. The MAC layer interfaces directly with the network media. Consequently, each different type of network media requires a different MAC layer.
On networks that do not conform to the IEEE 802 standards but do conform to the OSI Reference Model, the node address is called the Data Link Control (DLC) address.

MCronin
03-28-2003, 06:37 PM
Yeah Maya uses your network card's MAC address for licensing, and it' really, really easy to change a network card's MAC address, especially with Windows. You shouldn't need to worry about using your old netwrok card in your new machine,

danylyon
03-28-2003, 08:40 PM
*reads and learns*

Maya Ayanami
03-28-2003, 08:57 PM
hu. how do you change that.
i am not experienced with this kind of computer stuff.

MCronin
03-28-2003, 11:01 PM
The Mac adress is a twelve digit Hexadecimal number, so each digit runs from 0-F.There's an option in the network card's hardware settings to set the MAC adress to whatever you want. It only changes the MAC adress at the software level, but it should be good enough for Maya's licensing, I did this with an older version of Maya. It's kind of like using the Softquadro mod to change the ID of your video card, except this is not a hack, and most if not all netwrok adapters will allow you to edit the MAC adress. There's a few different ways you can change the MAC adress in Windows, read about it here:

http://www.klcconsulting.net/Change_MAC_w2k.htm

You can use the software they offer to do it if you want, or just follow the instructions at the bottom of the page. This should work for any software that uses a FlexLM type license management system that's tied to your network adapters MAC address.

BTW, if you get a "No suitable license error" only while logged on to the net, it could be that your ISP is assigning a new temporary MAC address when you log on through Cable or DSL over ethernet. I've read somewhere that some ISP's do this. The solution is to install another network adapter and change it's MAC to the one for your license, and set the network adapter that connects you to the net to something else.

MCronin
03-28-2003, 11:28 PM
I should add, before anyone gets any bright ideas; No you cannot use this trick to run the same license on multiple machines on the same network. The computers have to be named identically as well, and I'm pretty sure you can't have that on a LAN.

gabe28
03-29-2003, 04:07 AM
I should add, before anyone gets any bright ideas; No you cannot use this trick to run the same license on multiple machines on the same network. The computers have to be named identically as well, and I'm pretty sure you can't have that on a LAN.

That assumes the computer ARE networked.... it probably would work if the computers aren't networked together. I don't own Maya so I'm surprised to learn they don't have a dongle controlled licence. As much as I think my Lightwave dongle is a pain in the ass, I can see why Newtek uses hardware keys in their products.

MCronin
03-29-2003, 04:45 AM
Originally posted by gabe28
That assumes the computer ARE networked.... it probably would work if the computers aren't networked together. I don't own Maya so I'm surprised to learn they don't have a dongle controlled licence. As much as I think my Lightwave dongle is a pain in the ass, I can see why Newtek uses hardware keys in their products.

Yeah it should work if the computers aren't networked, say you want to put Maya on your laptop or something. The thing about Flex LM vs. dongles is that Flex LM, according to GTS themselves, is not intended to be used as an anti-piracy measure like a dongle. It's just supposed to be a lcense management system.

Maya Ayanami
03-31-2003, 06:55 PM
i just want to say something to the guy who started this thread(sorry but I forgot your name) that if all of this stuff these other smart guys are saying doesn't work(not likely?) you could always just just tell A|W your proplem and they might give you a new license well maybe and maybe not and maybe not.
I dont know. that would really suck if you had to buy an all new licencse.

and my ethernet wasnt changeing when my computer was on the internet. it is wierd. i played around with this for a few minutes before I got board I walked away.
well, what I did was I started Maya(no problems.) then I plugged the network cable in then started maya and ERROR. then I depluged me comp. and started maya and no error.
well I am pretty sure that this is how it went.
is this possible.
maybe.
anyways isn't that floating license allow you to put maya on multiple computers.

cg_fan_2003
03-31-2003, 07:59 PM
ok how do u change your default gateway i tried and failed.

MCronin
03-31-2003, 11:24 PM
i just want to say something to the guy who started this thread(sorry but I forgot your name) that if all of this stuff these other smart guys are saying doesn't work(not likely?) you could always just just tell A|W your proplem and they might give you a new license well maybe and maybe not and maybe not.
I dont know. that would really suck if you had to buy an all new licencse.

and my ethernet wasnt changeing when my computer was on the internet. it is wierd. i played around with this for a few minutes before I got board I walked away.
well, what I did was I started Maya(no problems.) then I plugged the network cable in then started maya and ERROR. then I depluged me comp. and started maya and no error.
well I am pretty sure that this is how it went.
is this possible.
maybe.
anyways isn't that floating license allow you to put maya on multiple computers.

Yeah, as I said before, it's not your IP nuimber you should be worried about, It's your MAC address which is something totally different. You can run LMTools (installed with Maya) or take a look at the link I posted to see what you MAC adress is when you are connected to the net. If it's different than what's in your Maya license, then your ISP is modifying your MAC address. In any case, installing a second network card and using that to connect to the net should solve your problem completely.

A floating license doesn't neccessarily always allow you to run multiple license on multiple computers. It just allows you to have one computer serve licenses over a netowrk. You could have a single floating license and 10 computers. You'd be able to run Maya on any of those 10 computers, but only on one computer at a time. If one of your ten computers is running Maya, and you try to start another Maya Session on another computer, the license server will notify your second computer that all licenses are checked out and Maya will not start. You'd still have to pay for 10 Maya licenses if you wanted to run it on 10 computers simultaneously even if you used floating licenses.

paultheplumber
04-01-2003, 06:03 AM
In order for Maya to properly ID your network card it need to be active and plugged into a network. If that "network" is just a hub and no other computers then that's fine. But if there is no cable plugged in, your ethernet card will not be active, and will not report the proper numbers.

I had a problem when upgrading to Maya 4.5 because I my card hadn't been active when I originally registered Maya 4. My Ethernet card reported "E000-0000-0000-03" which I was told by A|W was invalid (even though it had worked for Maya 4.0). As it turned out my card was configured wrong and wasn't active so it was reporting these faulty numbers.

Ayanami, that could be what is going on for you. When you unplug from the network, the card deactivates and reports different numbers than it does when it's active. And your Maya license doesn't like it.

Run the Hardware Identifier program in your A|W Common Utilities folder. That's the Ethernet number that is changing and screwing you up.

A|W can probably straighten the mess out for you...

paultheplumber
04-01-2003, 06:57 AM
Back on the original topic:

It apparently cost $150 to move a license to a new computer.

http://forums.aliaswavefront.com/WebX?14@83.7VvVaVWjckF.21@.ef4177b/1

But it's not all bad news:
"When purchasing Maya you do have the option of purchasing a dongle or keying the license to your ethernet address. Your Reseller or Sales rep. can explain this in more detail."

If you go with the dongle you can switch computers all you want.

I wish I had know that...

Maya Ayanami
04-04-2003, 06:35 PM
thanks people for your advice.

I heard that maya 4.5 was fixed so that when your ethernet address changes you can still use maya inlike in 4.0
is this true?
because if it was then that would be cool.

athosghost
04-04-2003, 06:54 PM
cg_fan

default gateway is handeled by your ISP's DHCP unless you've got a static network. My guess is that you do not have a static so you can not change your gateway.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.