PDA

View Full Version : Rendering/Display Problems..Help

fusiongfx
07-17-2007, 06:02 AM
Hello, Im a fairly new user to xsi, I got into and and i was watching the digital tutors XSI rendering techniqes video. When i get to the final gather part of the dvd I go to render region and it renders. However when i adjust values such as the mutiply values which should make obvious changes in brightness, nothing happens. It seems to just rerender the same thing. I have spent the last 3 hours going thru every option and changing things but it seems that nothing ever changes in the render or render region when i change a value. So i try closing the program and opning the scene back up and when i do it seems that the values i applied before i restarted the program apply. However when i go and try to adjust those values again nothing changes it just keeps rerendering the same thing. I am using XSI 6.01 And i have a 7900GS graphics card. My suspicion is that its my graphics card that causing it to not act right. I am waiting right now for the update to 6.02 to be applied so that i can see if this fixes anything. Any help would be greatful to this XSI newbie.

Edit* I found this while searching and im not sure if this would be at all related to my problem.

http://softimage.wiki.avid.com/index.php/Final_Gathering:_Effect_is_Darker_in_XSI_5.0

-Thanks

TrevorTang
07-17-2007, 08:00 AM
Rendering is usually cpu specific, not the video card so I doubt that is the problem.
As for the renders not changing, make sure you set the FGmap to overwrite everytime you make a change, otherwise it will save the light data from the initial render in which I won't update untill you tell it too, or delete the fgmap so mental ray can rebuild another one (can be found in the "Render_Pictures" folder)

Also make sure you have set up your FG render properly. Which you need at least 1 spot light, and one piece of geo with a constant material on it to act as a FG light. The spot light is important as FG will not function without it. (you can set spot light intensity to Zero if you just only want FG lights to light up your scene)

Incase the multiplyer still dosen't work, you can just type in values over "1" for the constant material your using for your light to make things brighter, if only for FG lights using that material.

fusiongfx
07-17-2007, 12:56 PM
Thanks. Turns out there was a problem on some system is version 6.01 that was corrected when i updated to version 6.02 Also the scene files i was using for the tutorial were created in XSI 5.11 and the final gather parameters have been renamed, rearranced and seperated into other features. Thanks for the response.

CGTalk Moderation
07-17-2007, 12:56 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.