PDA

View Full Version : comment about softimage xsi demo cd!

element412
04-06-2002, 05:01 AM
hi.
after all ive seen soft . xsi seems to be a very very powerfull porgram. everything seems great. the modeling feature seems to be just like i like them. etc etc...

so i decided to order the free cd.. (cause i dont know.... i couldnt found 10000$ in my pockets ..strange...:rolleyes: )

then because the headquarters of softimage are like 10 min of cars away from my home, it takes 5 weeks to ship (but that, i dont really care i dont pay .. so i dont care for the time...)

heres what really make mne angry: a lot of people have 17'' screens and a lot of us who work in 3d prog have high reso like 1200 x1000 (approximatly..) .. but its not all of us!
my screen is 15'' and becasue its old it wont go over 1024 x768.(great fo me anyway..)
but it seems that I NEED a better reso to run softimage xsi.... it wont even install........
i known im just an exeption...just a little studsent who doesnt pay for 3dprog..... but making a porg that doesnt go under 1280x1024 is just strange.......
anyway thats all i wanted to say .....

critixcs ans blasts are always welcome....
element.

ambient-whisper
04-06-2002, 05:16 AM
well lets see here.
who buys this software.? studios.
if those studios cant afford a monitor that provides 1280x1024, then they shouldnt be running that studio. cuz i really doubt that they can afford even a student seat of xsi.

what im saying is that this complaint has been used against softimage for a year and a half now. but really this should not be a problem if your computer is even 4 years old.

come on man. buy a new monitor. one of my 5 year old monitors does 1600x1200. you cant tell me that within 5 years you couldnt save up $300 canadian ? ( ~200 USD )

no excuses. buy a geforce mx or something. they go for real cheap and they will run xsi just fine ( and on 2 monitors if you choose to. )

Mike RB is using a geforce MX with xsi, and hes working with heavy files too. lots and lots of hair in his scene. so i dotn want anyone saying that the geofrce MX isnt powerful enough.

mr.bean
04-07-2002, 11:43 PM
element, your right.

it's just stupid.

kfc
04-08-2002, 09:33 AM
if u want to save up ur money. go to get this edharris's script on highend3d.
Eds 1024x768 XSI layout v1.0 (http://highend3d.com/xsi/scripts/?group=xsiscripts&section=interface)

thanks to edharris on this script.

element412
04-08-2002, 05:42 PM
thks kfc. thats a good one. but unuseful for me because i only have the experience cd(the free one) and even the installation program wont start if im not in 1024 x 1200 .....
anyway , ill stick to lightwave

Joel Hooks
04-09-2002, 08:09 PM
lol?

"this $14000 software won't run on my p90 w 16mb of RAM and a 13" monitor of 640x480!!!"

it's called minimum system requirements - you and your system are not the target audience ^^

17" monitors can be aquired pretty cheap.

meloncully
04-10-2002, 12:38 AM
yeah, They are easy to aquire. My friend i n new jersey goes to the dump and picks up maybe 5 monitors a week and usually two to three of them work. They are from people who upgrade their comps and throw it all out.

element412
04-10-2002, 04:33 AM
tthats tyrue. im really not the targeted audience .....
and meloncully i weish i could do that :)

CGseek
04-11-2002, 10:52 PM
I havn't got my experience CD yet, and it is over 6-7 weeks ago I ordered it? am I the only one who havn't got my cd yet?

Joel Hooks
04-12-2002, 01:12 AM
hey element, since you can't use yours, will you send it to me>? :)

I am tired of waiting :(

element412
04-12-2002, 02:09 AM
nop.
i guess your not the only one....
as i said i live about 6 miles from the head office of softimage and it tooked at elast 5 weeks.......

and soory i cant send it to you theres already someone that had borrowed it to me...:(

Mike RB
04-12-2002, 02:41 AM
Why would a software designer making a VERY expensive program bother to make it work on old equipment. That a watse of time on thier part, any studio using XSI will be running 1280x1024 minimum.

Im running it at 2560x1024 on two monitors on my GF2MX. It runs just fine. Did you happen to read the requirements before you ordered it? (I dont know if they are posted... i assume so)

Mike

LucentDreams
04-12-2002, 02:34 PM
geez its almost impossible to buy fifteen inch outside of LCD monitors nowadays, I think it is about time you upgraded. I seriously have troubles goin back to 17 inch monitors at school cause I feel so cramped in most apps. Mind you I am using a 19 inch hansol 900p ($340 Can) which is 4 years old and a 20 inch TV monitor as my second display but you need to at least move up to 17 inches, they are the stanard for home use. If you are really serious, I think 19 inches are probably industry standard for 3D and video editing nowadays. look at Macs now, they have 23 inch cinema display thats the same height as a 19 inch monitor but widescreen, and capable of HDTV resolutions with screen room to spare.

on anoother note:

I just recieved my CD today and have been on it for four hours. only problem I have had so far is the mention of a handy little script in one of the video files included that allows changing the SubD up or down that he adds to his keyboardshortcuts. My programming ain't great and I haven't been able to creat the script properly yet and it isn't available from the site. Even Ed Harris doesn't have it on his site.

dmonk
04-12-2002, 05:58 PM
I don't think you need a script.
You just push the "+" and "-" keys on your number pad.

LucentDreams
04-13-2002, 12:36 AM
No what he did is create custom scripts, one for increasing and one for decreasing, and then created the shortcuts. You see him create one shortcut in the video but he doesn't show how to make the script and it isn't available.

currently the + and - keys make it so you increase or decrease the selection.

Edit that, I just was dumb enough not to read carefully and try the plus and minus on the numpad as you said. It does work and I am changing the shortcuts around as I type (boy I'm talented.) I am quite impressed with the demo so far. Its good again to use a program that takes advantage of OGL and more than two mouse buttons especially in navigation. (I use C4D most of the time) I will have to test it a lot before I ever consider switching or anything but this is really handy to learn so that when I apply in the industry I can say I am familiar with XSI as well as the other packages I know.

CGseek
04-15-2002, 11:07 PM
It is now about 8 weeks I applyed for the CD and I havn't got yet. Should I try to apply for another one? (I live in USA).

Atyss
04-15-2002, 11:46 PM
@@@@
currently the + and - keys make it so you increase or decrease the selection.
@@@@

This is because you didn't applied a Geometry Approximation property on the object. Do this, and then you'll see that + and - on the numeric pad will increase/decrease the subdivision level.

It should work.

On the script topic:
1- Create a new toolbar. Do Views > Custom Toolbars > New Toolbar.... Give a meaningful name.

2- Now create the script. Just open the Script Editor, and do the function you want through the UI. You'll see that the command is written in the History Log window (the upper window of the Script Editor). Highlight the new text, and d&d it on the new toolbar.
A window opens. Give meangingful names, especially under Script Command Name. Click ok. You can close the toolbar.

3- Go in File > Keyboard Mapping. Click on new to create your own custom keyboard map. In the left space (Group), select Custom Script Command. In the right space (Command), select the script you created and assign a shortcut.

Related link: http://www.edharriss.com/tutorials/tutorial_scripts_toolbars/scripts_toolbars.htm

Hope this helps
Salutations - Cheers
Bernard Lebel

Monkey_Majick
04-22-2002, 07:34 PM
I was wondering the same thing.

I ordered the XSI DEMO disc 7 weeks ago! Whats' going on?

Does any one get the feeling it was a cheap marketing stunt in response to the Maya Personal Learning CD and the Maya price drop?

Vic3k
04-22-2002, 07:38 PM
it's just your location...
i got cds 1 month after just as they promissed and i live in canada. ofcourse they first were considering northamerical so it was all sayd for north americal. don't worry you will get your cd. unless it's gonna get lost in mail :)

dmonk
04-22-2002, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by meloncully
yeah, They are easy to aquire. My friend i n new jersey goes to the dump and picks up maybe 5 monitors a week and usually two to three of them work. They are from people who upgrade their comps and throw it all out.

Which dump? I'm in Jersey.

meloncully
04-23-2002, 12:16 AM
dont know. I will ask my fried who does that.

SheepFactory
04-23-2002, 12:24 AM
jersey dumps are fine i guess :D ,

here in san francisco you have competition , the bums pick up all fine stuff and you are left with used condoms :p

A|i

marton
04-30-2002, 03:25 AM
cgseek.

no you're not the only one still waiting. i ordered mine approx 7 weeks ago and no dice yet. mind you i live in australia and the postal workers here regularly steal stuff so i hope avid doesn't ship the cds with screaming promos all over them.....an irresistable target for thieves. sigh* guess i'll keep waiting. i can only imagine.

KEKS
04-30-2002, 06:39 AM
just email them again , and someone personally whent out and mailed it to me :)
i got it in few days after that.
tell them you are considering on buying it right away and you need to decide fast :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.