PDA

View Full Version : Cartoon Box Rig- Issues with rotating (have a play)

benjii19
07-15-2007, 11:41 AM
Hey up,

Here is a little rig for people to have a play with. A friend of mine AdmiralRa put this together after my shoddy first attempts.

It has one major issue with the box deforming if rotated in stretched/squashed form.

If anyone has any ideas please let us know. One thing to bear in mind is this is referenced into an animation scene I have. So I don't know how much structure can be changed with regards the rig.

Quick Anim Test (http://www.benhealy.com/BOXTEST.mov)
not fully tested

MAYA 8.5 FILE
BOX_RIG (http://www.benhealy.com/Box_rig.rar)
feel free to have a play

Cheers

Ollarin
07-15-2007, 11:47 AM
Just adding some information to how the rig was made.

Right now, the rig is using an IK spline setup with a stretchy joint chain to stretch, bend, etc.

So, to get it to roll on the Y axis, i connected the controller to the roll on the IK.

Now, the problem comes when you rotate the box on the Y axis (Note: it's connected to the IK roll), when you rotate it, and then rotate it on the X axis (The box itself) it seems fine, but instead, if you roll the control on the Z axis, you get some weird double transformations.

This is probably because of some mistake on my part in the rig. Hope it can be easily fixed.

LucentDreams
07-15-2007, 07:26 PM
for the roll you should use local Y not global Y, and then child the controller to a locator so that you can rotate on X,Y or Z without affecting the twist at all, and then only rotate the direct controller when you need to twist on Y.

benjii19
07-22-2007, 04:17 PM
Just wondering if anyone has had a chance to play around with the rig yet.

Cheers for the suggestion Lucent, I think AdmiralRa had looked into that on another version.

Anyway I thought I'd just explain the 2 major problems and I hope someone will be able to help us out.

A) The first problem lies with the World_CTRL's rotation, Translation is fine. It rotates the controls, but not the skeleton or Geometry. I need it to affect the Geometry/Skeleton so that the rig references into my animation scene properly (It's been quite heavily animated so far, character picks up box, walks then puts box down and opens it)

B) If the box is put into a squashed/stretched position and then rotated in Y with the BOX_ctrl. The geometry seems to fold in on itself.

It may be an idea to look at the rig I posted thought to see what I'm describing.

Cheers

Ben

lizardj
07-23-2007, 07:50 AM
nice setup, thumbs up. :D i tried to fix the rotate clitch but splines apparently hate me. so i nuked it and the rig seems to work now. no twist attribute no more though.
check it out (http://www.deviantart.com/download/60402371/box_by_lizardj.zip)

benjii19
07-23-2007, 07:06 PM
Hey, I just had a quick play with what you had done. Although that could be nice to be able to rotate the curves that's not quite what I was after.

It's the Control Curve called BOX_CTRL (yellow circle) thats causing the problem. To see what I mean squash the box with the Top_CTRL by translating in Y and then rotate BOX_CTRL (yellow circle) in Y to about 90 and you'll see the geometry have a bit of an issue.

Hope I explained it ok.

Cheers, thanks for taking the time. And I just noticed it was you that replied on Strut.

lizardj
07-24-2007, 04:41 AM
...And I just noticed it was you that replied on Strut.
lol, i kno, i figured there would a better chance this post gets noticed if i responded in both places. :D btw i went back n fixed the geometry deformation issue when squash and then rotate. download the update from the same link and have a look. :)

benjii19
07-24-2007, 07:17 PM
Nice one! seems to be working fine so far! feel free to have a play with it yourself. Cheers

I'll see if I can break it tho, just to be sure it's ok

CGTalk Moderation
07-24-2007, 07:17 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.