PDA

View Full Version : eyes and the rig

rISO
07-15-2007, 11:07 AM
hi everyone!! :scream:
i've modeled a character and as i am not very used to RIG, i've used TSM..
what i would like to know is if usually the eyes should be "combined" with the rest of the mesh, parented, grouped or whatever.. any suggestion, please?? :shrug:

and also what about blendshapes for char xpressions.. should i rig the char and then create blendshapes or viceversa??
tnx in advance :bounce:

trancor
07-15-2007, 04:11 PM
Blend shape before you rig, if you don't, verts will move around when you don't want them to on the rig. But if it's just contorting the face, you can blend shapes when ever and just go to the animation menu set > Edit Deformers > Edit Membership tool to deselect verts that would move after the character is rigged so the verts are no longer part of the blend shape.

You can parent up the eyes with the ik joint in the head or bind them to the actual skin incase the head morphs in anway because of the rig.

You'll probably just want to parent the eyes to the joint in the head.

rISO
07-15-2007, 04:48 PM
tnx again a lot trancor :scream: i parented eyes to a joint and "seems" to work..
but i would like to ask u something else pls..

as i already did the rigging and skinning :rolleyes: and not the blendshapes (character just need to do only 1 expression, a kind of "oooohhhhh" :eek: ) maybe i could do it now?
deforming in some way (dunno how) the face.. or i must go back 1 step and re rig ??

tnx in advance 4 ur help :bounce:

refract
07-17-2007, 05:46 AM
Are these bones? If they are, then parent all the face bones to a root head bone. Then parent that to the head.

trancor
07-18-2007, 07:46 PM
ee, well, if you already rigged what not with the model. Adding the blendshape now might be a little annoying.

If you didn't already paintweights then this shouldn't matter for you. Unbind the skin from the ik, do the blend shapes, then attach the skin, it should work then.

If you try to blendshape now, it will just move the verts back to their original place, this looks pretty bad when you animate your model, because you have geometry flying around.

If you don't want to unbind, you can try making clusters, and maybe animate the clusters with set driven keys. But this gets annoying.

JorelLatraille
07-18-2007, 11:25 PM
you can do blendshapes now, all you have to do is make sure that the blendshape node is below the skin node in the input connections!

Make the blendshape, add it to the mesh, then select the mesh and right click, go down to list input connections, and click on all input connections, then middle mouse drag the blendshape node onto the skin node and it should go below it. This means that when you now animate your rig, when you use the blendshape it will not move the mesh around in a weird way :)

Hope this helps, if you want illustrations, i can do some screen grabs for you! :)

rISO
07-19-2007, 07:53 AM
tnx a lot trancor and tnx u too JorelLatraille,
as i was in rush and i didn't know JorelLatraille trick, i did again all the job but this easy way of the blendshapes node below the skin node in the input connections is good to know :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
07-19-2007, 07:53 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.