PDA

View Full Version : problem with nostril glow

swadepgh
03-24-2003, 10:17 PM
Please help. I need to get rid of the glow in the nostrils of this character. I have tried putting point lights in them with negative intensity and that did not work. I am using the default renderer in Maya 4.0 for WIN2K Pro. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.http://www.studioswade.com/sarawade/render02.jpg

beaker
03-24-2003, 10:49 PM
are you using a directional light?

Also you can just color the diffuse map around the inside of the nose a dark color.

swadepgh
03-24-2003, 10:58 PM
I am using 3 point lighting, all spotlights. I was hoping to get the problem fixed without having to color the map. I have tried that and it looks a bit strange to me. I guess if there are no other fixes to get the maya renderer to shadow it I may have to do that anyway.

jeremybirn
03-25-2003, 01:11 AM
Just turn on shadows on all your lights. If you think all of your lights already cast shadows, then test render your scene with each light separately (and the other lights hidden) so that you can see which is the offending light that illuminates inside the nostrils so brightly.

-jeremy

swadepgh
03-25-2003, 03:26 AM
Yeah I know which light is the culprit, it is just that it should not by any logical means be illuminating in the nostrils. Casting shadows from the fill light makes other parts of the image look confusing.

Thanks for the tips.

jeremybirn
03-25-2003, 04:56 PM
Then replace that fill light with 3 dimmer fills from different angles that cast soft shadows, and check your geometry to make sure it's deep enough.

swadepgh
03-25-2003, 05:47 PM
Wow I never thought of having three dim fills rather than one.

Thank you for the tip! I will try it right away. :)

LowEndFrequency
03-27-2003, 08:02 PM
Looks to me like the nostrils don't go back as far as they should. Stick your finger in your nose and dig around a little... . then look at your picture. I bet if you just made the cavity deeper and farther in, the image would be fine.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.