PDA

View Full Version : spline riggin question

roonaldo
07-13-2007, 10:32 AM
Hi, I am trying to rig a prop, it should not be too complex but I am not too sure how to do it. I have built a coiled piece of cloth around a pole and I want to be able to pull a handle to unravel it (see diagram)
http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f152/jamesgkenny/?action=view&current=rig_diagram.jpg. Any ideas? I have built it flat and skinned it with a IK spline handel with cluster controls but it doesn't really work....I am sure there is an easy/elegant way of doing this, I just don't know it....

Thanks in advance

roonaldo
07-16-2007, 09:31 AM
nobody knows then?

TempleTiger
07-17-2007, 01:06 PM
In max I would use a Bend and an Xform. Xform first. Bend use limits to make it only bend on to of the gizmo center, bend it and tweak the gizmo orientation a little to make it spiral inwards instead for just looping. Use the Xform to pull.

ManiaX
07-17-2007, 02:33 PM
here, try this maya 8.5 file.
if the archive won't work, just rename it to .rar

marktsang
07-17-2007, 08:21 PM
hey ,
since your from ireland im just going to assume your using max :)

there are many ways to do this - the simplist is probably to use a path deform along a spline that is in the shape of the rolled up cloth then going to strgaight, like a helix where the end hangs down. then you could animate the geometry along the path- this could also be done with bones and reactor or bones constrainted to a similar path...

mark

CGTalk Moderation
07-17-2007, 08:21 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.