PDA

View Full Version : p4 crashes on 100% cpu power

MellowFellon
07-13-2007, 11:04 AM
I have a p4 3ghz with ht, and 1 gig ram, with sp 2 and gforce ti 4200 128 card. At first I thought my machine was chrashing because of lightwave. Now I know It will maybe not within the first minute of the render but eventually. Now even when I run other intensive opps like image editing a big file it crashes. Could it be my bios need updating or even my motherboard?

imashination
07-13-2007, 02:16 PM
Sounds like a classic overheating cpu. Open it up and remove all the dust, that machine must be at least 3-4 years old now.

davegraham
07-13-2007, 03:14 PM
could be a general CPU or memory failure as well.

check to make sure your heatsink/fan is working well.

run memtest86 (http://www.memtest.org)+ and see if your memory is starting to flake out as well.

cheers,

dave

MellowFellon
07-13-2007, 07:26 PM
Well, I switched on the warning in my bios, for when the cpu reaches 60 Degrees, but it has not given one yet? Also, I cleaned all three fans including the power supply and re-oiled them.
It could not maybe be my bios clashing with sp2? Sorry I dont know too much from the backend of a computer. :)

I must say after re-oiling, my machine still makes a noise. It must be the cpu fan given trouble, aye?

davijin
07-14-2007, 05:15 AM
usually oiling them isnt the problem, the fan just isnt good enough to cool the processor under stress of rendering, you might just have to invest in a better heatsink, I had to do it a couple months ago since my room isnt airconditioned and during the last summer I would have the same problem with overheating and shutting down. I got a zalman 9700 and lowered my idle and cpu temps down a good 5+degrees C under full load. before you do that you can download Speedfan and it will let you setup giving you warnings for your processor, system and even harddrives.
my specs. athlon x2 3800+ 2gb ram geforce7800gt

MellowFellon
07-25-2007, 09:50 AM
Well I got a zalman fan, tested my memory. Now I am going to run some kind of cpu temp program to monitor my tempretures...I am not sure what else to do..

Thanks chaps for the help sofar!! best forum!!

MellowFellon
08-13-2007, 08:07 PM
Hmm how do I configure this Speedfan? I have set it to write a log, but hell I can't make no sense of the log files. Still crashing though, also ran memtest for 1 hour, but nothing.

RobotClayton
08-13-2007, 08:41 PM
Could be a hard drive problem... DO you ever have a hard time getting it to boot?

I don't know anything about fans though. You and me are in the same boat. My PC is running slow as molasses (est. OCT 2003); I can't run any good 3d stuff on my notebook (although it renders more than twice as fast as my PC). It's time to start a "computer jar"...

lots
08-13-2007, 11:52 PM
Check your PMs

CGTalk Moderation
08-13-2007, 11:52 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.