PDA

View Full Version : Contract Work

bionictuna
04-06-2002, 05:15 AM
I'd like to 'make my services avaible' (i.e. get paid) in the field of game model texturing. Any advice on finding contract work? Is it best to email companies with examples of work or wait for contract job postings? (on gammasutra.)

Thanks for your time.

CADster
04-07-2002, 04:26 AM
Im no expert.. but here are a few ideas.

1. make a demo of your work and send it to the studios. This will include a resume and a digital sample of some projects. Your demo does not have to be an avi on tape, nor does it have to be some 300 meg director project that took 3 months to make. It can be a set of jpg images on floppy or a few of the actual skins youve made. Studio personel are very busy and a handfull of images along with a clean resume will work just as well if not better than a 20 minute avi.

2. make a website, have a link in your sig so others can easily see your work. Have it looking good with several pieces of your work and a resume others can D/L and print out. I have gotten several contacts from people surfing ....

3. get into the mod community. skin people for q3, UT, etc. and send these skins to the popular hosting sites (ie: the planets, polycount, etc.). Really great work will always shine at these places.

4. Pimp .. yea, pimp your work on forums. several more people hit these forums then who post. If you add a thread and it gets no replies, or very few dont get discoraged, you can see how many hits the thread has gotten, even if no one has replied.

I think the most important thing is to get your work seen. Take your thread here for instance.... no pics, no links, nothing..... anyone who hits your thread can only read what you want to do, we cant see your work.

hope this helps -

CADster

bionictuna
04-08-2002, 01:42 AM
Thanks for the thoughful reply CADster. I've o have a web-site. (http://members.aol.com/bionictuna1/Html/Frame_Index.htm) I guess i was wondering how typical contract proposal were initiated. Was it artist's inquiries to a companies for work or contact from companies offering work. I guess it's some of both.

Again, thanks!

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.