PDA

View Full Version : particle banking

BionicSasquatch
07-12-2007, 06:22 PM
Anyone figure this out yet? I have a particle system of airplanes that need to bank. I keep trying to fake it with rotation and spin operators, but it's not working very well.

It just seems like it should be so easy! AAAAAAHG!

charleyc
07-12-2007, 09:31 PM
As you can see from all the quick responses, this is an easy thing :)

Do you have Box3? I have not tried to do this yet, but I think it would be eaiser in Box3 than trying to script. If I get a chance, I may play around with this, but I can't make any promises. Somewhere on the Orbaz site there is a very brief description by Oleg on what it would take to create this. I will see if I can dig that up. If I could see the math behind doing this with a standard Max object (as opposed to figuring it out myself :P ), it would be pretty simple to translate to PFlow.

rudinie
08-03-2007, 04:29 PM
Allan McKay showed this planes fly-by (and bomb the terrain into oblivion) in one of his tutorials for afterburn i think. If you use "speed by icon" and animate it using a path constraint to follow a spline, you can use "follow" and "bank" to make the icon bank. Then in the speed by icon you can use "Use Icon Orientation" and voila, bob's your uncle. :-)
Hope that helps.

edit: Hmm, i just doublechecked if it works as i thought, but i'm not getting the results i expected neither.

depleteD
08-03-2007, 05:52 PM
that would be restricting tho, i know a freebie is coming that does rotation banking.

Like charlie said, spend sometime in box 3. After a week you will get comfortable with the workflow and then you will be able to make particles do anything :D

BionicSasquatch
08-03-2007, 06:40 PM
Thanks guys,
I actually had to wrap this up. I managed to fake it pretty convincingly by splitting off particles into different events that had forces that would push them one way or another, and then rotate them accordingly. Then I hand animated a bunch of extra planes to fly right by the camera over the course of the shot. It wasn't perfect, but it sold the shot.

CGTalk Moderation
08-03-2007, 06:40 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.