PDA

View Full Version : nester999, newbs, maya

nester999
07-12-2007, 04:54 PM
hey all, I'm jumping on pretty late, but I just wanted to see what was going on with all of this. I've just been turned on to the world of rigging pretty recently and am pretty addicted for the time being. I wish everyone the best! Anyone have any special features they're thinking of adding?

nester999
07-13-2007, 06:00 PM
So I had a question. When creating a facial animation setup for a head when it is connected to a body, is there a way to just make the head blendshapes, or do you have to duplicate the entire body mesh for as many shapes as you want to make? I was guessing it would be something along the lines of the duplicate face or extract command but I wasn't exactly sure. Thanks again!

p.s. The blendShape weights tool is genius for doing this facial setup. I've just been making the whole face setup, then duplicating it and unweighting whichever half I want to discard.

cheers,
Edan

JorelLatraille
07-13-2007, 06:14 PM
typically i cut off the head, duplicate it, then re-attach it so that the vertex numbers do not change! :)

nester999
07-14-2007, 10:53 PM
okay, sweet. Do you cut it off with the extract tool?

I'm hoping to get a playblast up by the end of today, but I was having a problem creating soft eyes for the character. Normally I do set Driven Keys, but when I tried to animate over those driven attrs (rotateX & Y) they would halt all interaction with the eye for the soft eye effect. I then made an expression to control this, but again, keying over them would completely cut it off from it's original connection. Any ideas?

Also, I was pondering Shave and a haircut for some pulp fiction style jerry curl action. Does anyone have any experience with greasy hair like that?...like in the 3d world? Hope all is going well.

always the best,
Edan

nester999
07-14-2007, 11:20 PM
Just did a test & got it! Thanks!

nester999
07-14-2007, 11:26 PM
alright everyone, here's the first draft:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78r1G_1vxKA

So I posted earlier about either getting the soft eyes effect or being able individually control the eyelids, and I illustrated this by putting keys only on the right upper eyelid. All the others work fine and follow the eyes, but that one is pretty immobile. This is a problem because otherwise there is no way for him to blink!

A helpful script I used from the Art of Rigging DVD was moveToObjectPivot.mel or something like that. Which allows you to get joints exactly at the center of the eye so when you rotate them, they don't wobble everywhere. Anyway, the door is now open for any and all critique. I'd really like to get this up to portfolio quality so be vicious, be innovative, and be awesome!

Alright. Gotta go. County fair. Mexican wrestling. You know the drill. l8z

Tripple-I
07-15-2007, 09:05 PM
great stuff man, no crits here. . . busy trying to make mine comprable to yours!:thumbsup:

nester999
07-17-2007, 04:40 PM
alright everyone. I have my scene all interfaced and everything but apparently, when I zipped it, my file is still too big. It's only 886 kb so does anyone have a solution to this. If not I'll just post an animation on youtube but I was hoping other people could try to do their worst (or best) to it as well. Good luck everyone!

JorelLatraille
07-17-2007, 05:01 PM
well you could try optimizing your scene in maya, not sure what that does though, or you could use winrar instead and compress it into a rar! hope this helps :)

nester999
07-17-2007, 09:40 PM
okay everyone. After some quick research I found a webhosting site, badongo.com (http://forums.cgsociety.org/badongo.com)

that was free and required no registration. The URL they gave me for the uploaded file was:

http://www.badongo.com/file/3778338

so go to it and get cracking with my rig please! Be vicious. Something I already noticed it that I think the neck might require a corrective blendshape for when you turn it laterally (rotY axis). Not sure yet though.

On that, does anyone know how to add shapes to an already existing blendshape node? I have run into problems when I stack blendShape nodes on top of each other and there's got to be something that can just let you combine them all together...right?

Anyway, cheers to everyone. I wish you all the best!

JorelLatraille
07-18-2007, 12:43 PM
its easy to add blendshapes to an already created node, just do the following!

Deform > Edit Blend Shape > Add (click on options box) > tick Specify Node > select the node from the list in Existing nodes > Apply and Close

Hope this helps :)

also m8 I cant seem to download your file from bango, it says iv already reached my limit, but iv never used the site before so i think its just a con for you to sign up, in which case if you e-mail me your file at jlatraille@hotmail.com I will upload it to my website and give you the link to share for free :)

nester999
07-19-2007, 12:45 AM
okay everyone. So I was told the badongo site wasn't working so Jorel was kind enough to let me post the file on his site. Here's the link:

http://www.3d-tvu.co.uk/personal/files/SamuelLFacialRig.mb

thanks and enjoy!

k later!

CGTalk Moderation
07-19-2007, 12:45 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.