PDA

View Full Version : Maya Rotate World Pivot For Curves

MatrixNAN
07-12-2007, 07:34 AM
Hey Everyone,

I have run into an interesting problem in Maya 8.5. When rotating curve based controls of a 45 degree arm spread for character rigging, the freeze transforms tend to make the world coordinate system snap back to its orginal position for curves. This seems to be different from a NUrBS or Polygon Object. When trying to use the Rotate Axis to move the world space coordinates to align with the curve object, the curve object moves rather than the actual world space coordinate system which is the opposite of what I need. I need to align the control objects with the orientation of the bones and then to apply a freeze transform while maining the alignment of the world space coordinate axis for that object in order to allow for ease of use for the animators for snaping back to the orginal position and to allow for animators to move rig around in an intutive manner with the alignment of the bones. Does anyone know a method to get around this problem?

Cheers,
Nate Nesler

bsb312
07-14-2007, 03:30 AM
I had the same troubles. I also almost drov myself crazy trying to figure this out. I did end up figuring it out and it was totally under my nose the whole time.

Since curves axis are always going snap to the world axis after freezing the transformation, and modifing its axis leads to ajusting rotations, the best way to get around this is to create an empty group and parent the curve to the empty group. (hierarchy would be group>curve). Now you can position the group the way u want it and match its axis to a specific joint...etc. When you go back and select the curve, all it tranforms and rotations, will remain 0 while inheriting its local axis from the group.

Hope this works and keep on Riggin'!

MatrixNAN
07-14-2007, 08:19 PM
Yeah thats what I ended up doing. It does not appear that the local and world space coordinates will mess with the game engine. I left it open just in case someone had an all world space coordinate solution to Maya. Thanks for the info.

Cheers,
Nate Nesler

CGTalk Moderation
07-14-2007, 08:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.