PDA

View Full Version : halftone effect

jigen08
07-12-2007, 12:09 AM
Anyone have any suggestions for a nifty halftone effect? The effect I'm looking for is one similar to PhotoShop's halftone filter, which produces scanlines across the image (not to be confused with the scanline node in Shake). Any plug-ins out there that do this?

Thanks in advance.

jigen08
07-12-2007, 03:28 AM
Figured it out - I just brought in a halftone pattern, scanlines, from Photoshop on a transparency and laid it over the image in Shake. There's probably a plug-in that costs more than Shake that can do this, but there you go...

pgraham
07-17-2007, 10:52 PM
Although you found a workaround, I took this on as a personal challenge. I made a macro for this at http://shake.pwgraham.com/files/PG_Halftone.zip. It creates dots sized proportionally to the brightness of each channel. You can pick dot size, screen angle and offset, plus there's a soften parameter to prevent jaggies.

You can look under the hood to see what's going on. A hint: the first ColorX rotates the coordinate space according to the parameters, and the second ColorX creates the dots.

jigen08
07-18-2007, 09:12 PM
Nice work, pgraham! Nice going on this. I can't wait to give it a try - I'm in the middle of a couple of projects, circling between them, but I'm keen to check this out.

Many thanks, and I hope others find this useful too.

CGTalk Moderation
07-18-2007, 09:12 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.