PDA

View Full Version : realtime rendering

pseudopod
07-11-2007, 07:26 PM
Hello, I am attempting realtime rendering.

When I go to "Start Capture" in the camera viewport to export a realtime render, how can I export it with an alpha channel?

Can it be done?

Thanks

Chinny
07-11-2007, 09:33 PM
Yes you can turn on "Write Alpha" in the Capture Options, which are found under Application>Data in an Explorer.

InspectObj "ViewportCapture"

Chin

pseudopod
07-11-2007, 09:55 PM
thanks Chinney,

I gave that a try; however, the Write Alpha was already checked on. There is an alpha channel but it is solid. I need the alpha to go around the objects and leave a hole in the areas with the empty space.

I also didnt understand the "Inspectobject" part. Where was that? And how do I use it?

thank you for your help

Chinny
07-11-2007, 11:59 PM
thanks Chinney,

I gave that a try; however, the Write Alpha was already checked on. There is an alpha channel but it is solid. I need the alpha to go around the objects and leave a hole in the areas with the empty space.

Do you have background objects or even a floor which might be adding to the alpha? If both are no and you still get all white - then try rendering, using the Hardware Render. This should definately work

I also didnt understand the "Inspectobject" part. Where was that? And how do I use it?
thank you for your help

Ah my bad, the InspectObj "ViewportCapture" is a vb script you can run in the script editor to open the Capture Options

pseudopod
07-12-2007, 01:14 AM
that works! thanks!

one more question though, is there a way to render it and have certian objects create an alpha for the Hardware render (ie hold back objects) how would I go about doing this?

Chinny
07-12-2007, 02:40 AM
I think I am being a bit thick, as I don't understand your question. Do you mean you want some objects to appear in the viewport but not have an alpha or vice versa? I am not sure how do do either without some comping.

Chin

pseudopod
07-12-2007, 05:00 PM
Hi Chin,
What I would like is to use an object in the scene to act as a mask for the other objects that go behind it while rendering in Hardware.

pseudopod
07-12-2007, 05:27 PM
Hi Chin,
I figured it out, but I have another question.
Where do I turn on shadows in my hardware render?

Chinny
07-12-2007, 05:33 PM
Ah ha - I would love to know the method you are using for your masking.

As for realtime shadows. make sure your lights are casting shadows first.
Then switch your view to Realtime Shaders>OpenGL
In the display options for that view there are options for Realtime Shadows.

hope it works

Chin

pseudopod
07-12-2007, 05:56 PM
Hi Chin,

To get the mask objects:

1.Select the desired mask object,
2.Open the render tree and add the OGLAlphaTrans shader (under Realtime Open GL... more)
3.Delete all nodes except the "OGLAlphaTrans" node
4.Plug it into realtime
5.In the AlphaTrans option:
Source = Inverted Source Alpha
Destination = Inverted Destination Alpha

Done

The only problem is my shadows won't seem to render in the hardware render. They do appear in the open GL viewport though.

Is there a feature that I can manually turn them on in the render options in the hardware?

pseudopod
07-12-2007, 06:28 PM
Hi Chin,

I seem to be able to get shadows in my "start capture" hardware render in my viewport, however when I go to "render current pass" set to Hardware, the shadows don't show up.
Is there a setting in the render options that can turn on the shadows?

Chinny
07-12-2007, 07:37 PM
Ah yes of course real-time shaders (slaps head)

As for the shadow not showing in Hardware Render I dont know why this is happening, but I will try and find out

Chin

pseudopod
07-12-2007, 08:42 PM
awesome thanks,

I have one more question though. The render in Hardware seems really jaggy as in aliased. I can do anti aliasing in the "start capture" function but can't seem to find where to adjust these settings in the Hardware render in the Render manager.

thanks again for all the help

pseudopod
07-13-2007, 06:09 PM
Hello,
I am trying to do a hardware render for realtime open GL. I have encountered two problems, please help.

1. My shadows are working in the camera viewport; however, the shadows won't render when I render it in the Render Manager as hardware.

2. I also can't seem to get the images from the render manager aliased. Thier all jaggy.

Please help,

thnks

chris

Chinny
07-13-2007, 11:48 PM
Hello,
I am trying to do a hardware render for realtime open GL. I have encountered two problems, please help.

1. My shadows are working in the camera viewport; however, the shadows won't render when I render it in the Render Manager as hardware.

I believe this is a bug -which has been logged

2. I also can't seem to get the images from the render manager aliased. Thier all jaggy.

Please help,

thnks

chris

So the hardware render not look like the viewport capture?

Chin

pseudopod
07-13-2007, 11:56 PM
No, not when the viewport render has the "antialiasing" selection checked.

There doesn't seem to be an option for that in the hardware render.

Also, of course the shadows not appearing as the do in the capture.

CGTalk Moderation
07-13-2007, 11:56 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.