PDA

View Full Version : character modeling books?

CaptBlack
07-11-2007, 04:52 PM
Hi, I'm kinda new to 3d and to these forums and I was wondering If someone could suggest a book or dvd on character modeling. I've looked but don't really know what book would be best to start with. Also I was wondering is box modeling the best way to start a character?

Thanks

Animasta
07-19-2007, 11:09 PM
Hello CaptBlack, I don't know which application you are using, but I find Jonny Gorden's Lightwave 3D 8 Cartoon Character Creation Volume 1: Modeling and Texturing to be an invaluable resource. He takes you through all the steps necessary to model two characters, along with a tiny bit of rigging, and texturing. Volume two tackles rigging and animation.

Hope that helps you :)

CaptBlack
07-20-2007, 05:08 AM
Hey, thanks for the suggestion and I guess I should have thought to tell what program, which is 3ds max, but even though that one is for lightwave I'll definately check it out. I was mainly looking just for a basic overview on modeling a character. So, thank you very much and now I'm gonna go check on that.

Penndragon
07-24-2007, 10:15 PM
Well, you can't really character model without reference images.

I'm a bit new to it myself, but the book I have been using is called Action Anatomy For Gamers, Animators, and Digital Artists. The book contains many references and notes many things animators should be weary of. The only problem I had with the book was how it organized the parts of the body, but that's why they have a very concise Table of Contents.

CGTalk Moderation
07-24-2007, 10:15 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.