PDA

View Full Version : Disabling Speed Step in M50

TCLee
03-24-2003, 12:19 PM
Was wondering if anyone knows about disabling the Speed Step function for the M50 with XP.

Will be doing this in the BIOS.

Also, how bad does a notebook overheat (sounds like a dumb question . . .:rolleyes: ). Anyone encountered this b4?

Any experience with this, gggg?

Thanks.

GregHess
03-24-2003, 03:14 PM
Its in the bios under POWER.

Just set while on battery = Maximum performance. And while on AC = maximum performance.

Have to disable it in the OS as well.

You do realize, your battery life will be extremely short after doing this. Expect 1/4 to 1/10th your expected battery time.

TCLee
03-24-2003, 04:06 PM
Thanks Greg.

I've already put it on Max in the POWER function in Control Panels (if thats where you mean by OS), but it does no good. Will change the BIOS part of it soon . . .

Well, I guess I'll have to try it out to see how long my batteries will actually last. I'll most prolly be unplugged for an hour usually, so I'll have to see.

But I'll be able to revert to the original, right? And also, I can leave it on auto, but then switch it on Max when I need to? Will this damage the hardware in the long run? Will the overheating cause damage to my hardware (if it manages to heat up that much b4 the batts give)?

Thanks aplenty.

no_to_co
03-25-2003, 08:01 AM
I8kfangui (http://www.diefer.de/i8kfan/index.html) and SpeedSwitch(http://www.diefer.de/speedswitchxp/index.html) should get it done for ya!

B

ggg
03-28-2003, 07:12 PM
Hi TCLee,
SpeedswitchXP which no_to_co also pointed to as well as fangui which is useful to keep track of the temp, seem to work (CPU speed is maintained under battery), sorry I have not yet tested them extensively, I'm almost always plugged in (during travel I use a power inverter etc) and put the laptop on a more stable board, not on my lap to reduce heat, I too am concerned about obverheating the laptop and do not have experince in this area.
I was told on the dell support forum to just remove fangui etc before returning your M50 to Dell for any warranty work.
I had not tried the bios method yet but will on next trip.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.