PDA

View Full Version : ??? stereo glasses ???

canderled
03-24-2003, 12:02 PM
Hi!
i 've just read this article at guru http://www.guru3d.com/stereo/
about 3d stereo glasses and i was wondering wheter it can be useful or not (specialy for modeling).
if anyone out there using them or having hear good or bad about them,please tell me what you think of them.

btw if you can tell me where to buy them...

it's my first post so i had to say thank for this great forum and for all you guys that make it live!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

TCLee
03-24-2003, 12:15 PM
Heya,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought stereo glasses were meant for viewing 'stereo rendered animations'?

I've only had a little experience with them but from what I remember, the monitor refresh rate had to be turned up to about 100hz and the RGB of the images were offset/delayed by a frame or 2 each. With the 1 minute of animation that I viewed, my eyes were painfully tired after. I don't see how it could be ideal for working. Heck, I can't even take a refresh rate of 80hz!!

Anyways, I could be wrong and you could be talking about a new breed of glasses . . .

cheers.

canderled
03-24-2003, 01:40 PM
thank for your reply TCLee
you confirm what they said in the article, you need to have a good refrech rate (more that 100 hz if possible)
but could it be any good for modeling? if you could see your model in real 3d i think it could help.

another one??

i can't believe there only one persone in this forum that have try this glasses:curious:

TCLee
03-24-2003, 03:55 PM
Heya,

Unfortunately, I don't think it works that way.

Firstly, it needs to be rendered with the RGB offset. Which means that it won't be visible in wireframe. So, I don't see how you can work with it interactively (if thats what you mean) in viewport. Unless of course they start writing code that will enable that in viewport (like depthcue or something).

Secondly, the 3D effect simulated is just that - simulated. Its not a totally immersive environment that you will find yourself able to reach in and 'feel' the z space (for example). Principle of traditional 3D movies.

Thirdly, my eyes were just tooo tired after wearing the glasses. Could be the high refresh rate. Could be the glasses themselves (they are electrically powered) or the environment that it simulates. Either way, unless you're looking to kill your eyes or unless they come up with a less strenous solution, I don't see how you can work with it for long hours on end.

This is just my brief experience with it tho. Hope it helps.

cheers.

canderled
03-24-2003, 04:06 PM
thank TCLee
you must be right.
I haven't thought about it this way and if it was at least a bit useful i think more people would had post a reply.

Anyway i still be interested if someone has something to add!

aYs
03-24-2003, 04:35 PM
those glasses work in games only
doesn't work in open-gl applications
maybe it has something to do with direct x

imo you'll need at least 120Hz
everything belof kills your eyes

but even at 140Hz you can't wear them more than 1 hour

it works with wireframe because it does not split up the rgb or something like that
you'll see the full image on both eyes

i bought one on ebay for some bucks to try it myself
the effect is not that good but quite impressive for the first 2 minutes ;)

there are stereo glasses for 3d apps but they are quite expensive
(e.g. the wildcat has a connector for glasses)

my $0.02

canderled
03-24-2003, 04:47 PM
o,o2$:surprised
maybe i didn't explain myself correctly, it's about the shutterglasses that i want some info, not anaglyphic stereoglasses (see n2 http://www.guru3d.com/stereo/general/)

aYs
03-24-2003, 04:51 PM
that's the way shutter glasses work

you see the same image with a sligtly different camera position on each eye wit h a small delay

canderled
03-24-2003, 04:51 PM
if you really get some for 0,02$ i'm really interested to know where you got them

(btw n2 means next page)

aYs
03-24-2003, 05:03 PM
no, i didn't get them for 0.02$

that's just a different way to say "my contribution to this thread" or something like that ;)

my two cents :beer:

canderled
03-24-2003, 05:06 PM
oupsh!!:p

CgFX
03-24-2003, 05:15 PM
Wait a minute please. Can we keep the comments to those that actually know what they are talking about and have experience on this.

Active stereo glasses (LCD shutter glasses) very much can be used in OpenGL applications. In fact, if you are using some of the Quadro XGL boards they come with the 3pin DIN shutter glasses port and more advanced OpenGL stereo support than the consumer cards.

Applications need to use the OpenGL stereo API but a lot of them do. You very much can use this type of stereo solution with 3D modeling software. The graphics driver can even force this as well.

In addition, you can also do a passive stereo with nVidia's nview solution (I have seen this at a conference). They are using nView Clone mode and then sending double buffered right eye and left eye to the proper monitor output. This is more for overlapping, dual projector solutions.

canderled
03-24-2003, 05:24 PM
thank's CG FX
i'm agree whit you, and i want to know if it can be useful to work with.it doesn't seem to be the great tools i thought at first. maybe in few years

aYs
03-24-2003, 05:25 PM
i haven't seen anything like this with one of those glasses for games you plug between the monitor and the graphics card

you've got a link?

i'm not talking about 3d glasses for professional use

maybe i works with the cheap glasses
don't know

TCLee
03-25-2003, 03:56 AM
heyas

I did say whatever 'little experience' I had with them.

I haven't seen any mainstream software (Maya/Soft/Houdini/Max) that has utilized the stereo function - if what you've said is true and there are already APIs in the software which helps in the wireframe and viewport modes.

How practical is this?

Apologies aplenty if I have contributed wrong info.

cheers.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.