PDA

View Full Version : HELP...workstation support heavy particles

uwei80i
03-24-2003, 08:48 AM
Hi,

Anyone can introduce me some powerful workstation can support heavy particles ( MAYA ) ??

if i construct 1 myself , what item recommend to put????

thanks

uwei80i@yahoo.com

TCLee
03-24-2003, 09:12 AM
Heya,

As a general answer,

1. Dual Xeon/Athlon in the 2.8Ghz and above range
2. Minimum 1Gb RAM
3. 128Mb Quadro4 980XGL

This should cover most of your viewport and rendering troubles.

For the specifics, it depends a lot on your budget/use etc. Also, there are loads of advice/discussions on the specifics in the posts here.

Also, Kendo in Tmn Mayang (if you're in PJ) does a pretty reliable job in building up comps altho you'd have to give him the name of the exact parts. I'm only mentioning Kendo because he allows you to try out some parts with an option to trade for another if you don't like it - of course, with a prior agreement.

cheers.

uwei80i
03-24-2003, 09:17 AM
hi TCLee,

thanks for the HELP , is very nice to meet you.

r u an senior animator ??? where r u working now

thanks a lot

TCLee
03-24-2003, 09:25 AM
Nice to meet you too, Uwei80i.

Not much help tho, considering that the specs I gave are pretty much standard.
:)

I'm located in PJ. :bounce:

cheers.

uwei80i
03-24-2003, 09:29 AM
Hi,

Budget is not a problem as long as i can get a good workstation.

Softimage is very strong now , the ILM is using them

TCLee
03-24-2003, 11:40 AM
Cool . . .

If money isn't a problem, I'd personally prefer to get a HP, IBM or Dell altho I'm sure a lot of others would scoff at that. :rolleyes:

Maybe its because I can't build my own station (altho I do my research to get specific parts) and have to rely on stores to do that for me. But its always a battle trying to get them to do exactly what you want and to also make sure that they don't cheat you while they're doing it. I've not had any experience with a store that sold me one that I was completely happy with. Unfortunately for us, most of them doing the building aren't really fully qualified or whose experience are only building budget home PCs.

That all in, I'd rather pay the additional US600 plus to get a similarly specced reputable brand (in Malaysia anyways).

But of course you have to make sure that the bargain on Dell (etc) isn't there because its an older technology.

Yes, its a shame that not a lot of people are using Softimage right now. The local distributor closed its doors, leaving us without proper support unfortunately. Not even sure if the office in Singapore is still open. But anyways, I'm trying really hard to stop management from switching fully to Max. I don't get that . . .

p.s. Soft was always in ILM's arsenal. And they tend to use a whole load of different apps littered all over the pipeline, anyways.

Cheers.

CgFX
03-24-2003, 05:07 PM
Particles can be geometry bound and really tax fill rate (depending on the effects they they have).

With no budget issues this becomes a no brainer:

Quadro FX 2000

Nothing can touch its geo perf or fill rate.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.