PDA

View Full Version : XSI on MacBook. Parallels or Bootcamp?

manuel
07-10-2007, 06:28 PM
I'm thinking of getting Foundation to run on a MacBook Pro. How do most of you do this? Using Parallels or Bootcamp? Or is it possible to do both? And how much of a speed-penalty do you get with Parallels?

kasei
07-10-2007, 07:56 PM
Bootcamp will be the fastest for running XSI. But if you want the best of both worlds you can set up a bootcamp partition and then use that to boot from virtually using Parallels or vmware fusion. I've had good luck using XSI foundation on my macbook pro in both configurations.

VMware Fusion is in beta right now and I've had good luck so far using it. It even has the start of 3D support. It's definitely worth trying since you can download and try the beta for free.

http://www.vmware.com/beta/fusion/

I actually bought Parallels but have found it to be a bit of a let down. Even though VMware says it's in beta it actually feels more solid and polished to me than the official 3.0 release of Parallels.

manuel
07-10-2007, 08:22 PM
Thanks for the info
I actually bought Parallels but have found it to be a bit of a let down. Even though VMware says it's in beta it actually feels more solid and polished to me than the official 3.0 release of Parallels.In what sense? Performance? Stability? Ease of use? Features?

kasei
07-11-2007, 02:01 AM
Thanks for the info
In what sense? Performance? Stability? Ease of use? Features?

Features and ease of use are pretty similar between Parallels and VMware, but performance and stability seem better overall in VMware. At least so far... :) i've only been using VMware for a few days compared to having used Parallels for a month or so. Support and bug fixing for Parallels seems kind of slow and lacking too.

07-12-2007, 12:55 AM
I run 4.2 on Macbook Pro. I have Bootcamp patition that I can reboot in Windows or using it through Parallel. My recommendation is using Bootcamp if you want to wark more than an hours. It just like running XSI in Windows machine. Using Parallel when you want to fix, tweek it. Just my 2 cents and because I am Mac guy.

manuel
07-12-2007, 09:32 AM
Thanks. By the way, how much RAM do you guys have in your machines? And how much of that RAM do you assign to Parallels/VMware?

Does the speed of the HD affect XSI's performance?

Sorry for the many questions, but a laptop is not something I buy every day.:)

visualboo
07-12-2007, 05:33 PM
IMO, any emulated OS isn't worth it for real work. So... if you want to get real work done, just use bootcamp and boot into windows to get what you need done. Then reboot back into OSX. It's full speed, everything is native and works great.

If all you want to do is tweak one small thing then it might be ok to use Parallels/VMware.

Ram? 2gb in my lappy, 8gb in my workstation. Bootcamp on both. No emulation needed or wanted.

kasei
07-13-2007, 06:14 AM
Thanks. By the way, how much RAM do you guys have in your machines? And how much of that RAM do you assign to Parallels/VMware?

I think with the new perpindicular hard drives and larger sizes, a 5400 RPM HD today will be similar to the speed of what a 7200RPM HD was not too long ago. I had a 7200 RPM HD in my old laptop and now have a 5400RPM drive and can't tell any difference really.

I have a Macbook Pro, the most recent revision with the Nvidia card and 2GB RAM. I assign 1-1.5GBs of RAM to the virtual OS.

Hope this helps and happy shopping :)

manuel
07-13-2007, 03:15 PM
Thanks, I really appreciate all the input.

Right, now let's see how much the tax-man will leave in my wallet at the end of this month.:eek:

Harout
07-16-2007, 11:09 PM
First off...I'd like to ask the question...WHY WONT THEY JUST PORT IT TO THE MAC???
(knowing the answer is a convoluted one that doesn't resolve my anxiety towards the topic)

Anyway,

I recently bought a macbook pro...I had the one with the ATI card in it first, and a week later they came out with the Nvidia ones, so the apple store exchanged it for me.

Sadly, I found the ATI one a lil' bit better with XSI and all round with windows, than the newer one (and I've actually gone through 2 of the newer ones since ...apple has replaced them...not that they were bad machines...but it seems that the folks at the apple store would rather give you a new one than fix the old one...provided that its still within the 2 weeks of purchase).

I think the reason why its not as powerful as the original ATI is that the drivers for bootcamp dont seem to do the trick, once there's a newer release of the windows drivers for the nvidia Vroom with a view laptops....I'm positive that it will be awesome.

I'm currently running XSI through bootcamp, and its easy. Runs fine, as fine as it did on a windows machine (because it essentially is, with a lot more style). Dont get me wrong, I'm making a comparison to other window's laptops....there's no comparision to a workstation and the macbook...simply because of cooling issues. And trust me, I've tested a fair amount of windows laptops too.

XSI runs sweet....but it is too bad that it isn't ported to the mac...but if it ran with the same performance that Maya runs on the mac in comparision to the way it does on windows....its probably for the better then :)

I hope this helps.

manuel
07-16-2007, 11:35 PM
I hear you about the Mac version. But at least Softimage never hinted at a Mac version and gave anybody false hope (COUGHmessiahCOUGH). I can respect that.

Interesting point about the ATI card. You can still buy refurbished Macbooks with ATI cards for a reduced price from Apple with the same warranty as a new one.

At the moment I'm playing the waiting game. I realised SIGGRAPH is around the corner in a few weeks. I just want to see what will happen there first. Also, I'm a bit nervous about all the reports of XSI 6.xx's stability at the moment. Too many people saying they're reverting to 5. I can do without that, I've suffered enough with Modo over the last year.:sad:

Harout
07-17-2007, 12:11 AM
You COULD do that, but then you wouldn't be getting the new LCD backlit display. Color wise, its good....but its greatest strenght is the insane battery life (ofcourse when you're not doing 3D stuff plugged into an external monitor).

Either way, make sure you also get the educational discount as well...its about 200 bucks and a free ipod.

About XSI's stability, I've found it to be extremely unstable right from the get go....but in terms of the lesser of two evils....maya hangs for a while when its crashed....xsi just shuts down without any trace that it was even running. Ahh the good ol' days of SI on SGI's...where you could just log into your machine remotely and save your work that is currently running on the machine that is in mid crash...yet another reason XSI should be on mac/Unix.

If you're really going to wait...then I'd wait 'till October when Leopard comes out, thats when they come out with the newer machines...also I heard that they're coming out with a 13" macBookPro...which is pretty sweet. Most of the time you dont do 3D at a coffee shop (ie- plug it into a 30' LCD at home), so you dont always need the screen size...and it makes it nice and easy to carry around.

Softimage was a real dissapointment at last years siggraph...usually they come out with some crazy awe-inspiring stuff that everyone wants, etc....not last year. They kept showing off Face Robot which I already had 3 licenses of anyway (ahahahaha...I keep them in my ferrari parked inside the Louvre), and some other motion capture software.

I hope they do a better job this year....but I dont think you'd need to wait for a computer purchase...most of the time software is like 3 years behind new hardware ...I think maya's still structured off of its original 1998 architecture...sure there are upgrades...but you get the point.

manuel
07-17-2007, 12:41 AM
You COULD do that, but then you wouldn't be getting the new LCD backlit display. Color wise, its good....but its greatest strenght is the insane battery life (ofcourse when you're not doing 3D stuff plugged into an external monitor).Nice one. I didn't realise that.
Either way, make sure you also get the educational discount as well...Maybe I'm just a little bit too old for that.:)

Harout
07-17-2007, 12:51 PM
Too old to save money?
pffft.....
it works if you're a teacher, or if you know of any students that will go into the store with you...all purchases are made on your own credit card...just need student id to get discount.

Yeah, the LED display is pretty nice...if you crank up the brightness you can see it clearly when sitting outside on a sunny day.

CGTalk Moderation
07-17-2007, 12:51 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.