PDA

View Full Version : emitting a soft body?

overEZ
07-09-2007, 07:43 PM
Hi, I'm trying to figure out how to emit a soft body from an emitter? Specifically a drop of water coming out.

I have a goal set for the drop, but how do I get the particles from the soft body to come out of a new emitter?

I tried 'use selected emitter' and also connecting the particles to the emitter in the dynamics relationship window, but nothing has worked. Thanks in advance!

Vectorhead
07-09-2007, 08:34 PM
Hey have you tryed doing a instance, if your looking for water drops theres a water drop script made by Peter Shipkov thats very useful http://petershipkov.com/index.html I hope this helps.

mandark1011
07-09-2007, 11:48 PM
If you have access to the gnomon dynamics dvds alex alvarez goes through a setup that is a balloon softbody growing from an emitter.

overEZ
07-10-2007, 12:04 AM
thanks! do you know which dynamics dvd it is? there are several...

mandark1011
07-10-2007, 01:06 AM
Not off the top of my head but i beleive there are only two that deal with softbodies?
I was lucky enough to work somewhere that had them all so I watched them all at once.

Aikiman
07-10-2007, 11:39 AM
funny that, I was trying to do a similar thing where you set the lifespan of the soft body particle so that it dies, save it as inital state then change the lifespan to infinite, when you emit the soft body its supposed to become the inital goal shape but I couldnt get it to work.

Ironhalo
07-10-2007, 04:14 PM
is particle shape>soft body attributes>enforce count from history turned off?

Aikiman
07-10-2007, 09:12 PM
nice work Ironhalo:thumbsup: I've got it working. The effect isnt as nice as I thought it would be but maybe some motion blur might help it.

Als
07-16-2007, 05:57 PM
Try lowering conserve a bit more, it will look better!

Als

overEZ
07-17-2007, 07:46 PM
anyone know how to instance polygon faces so that particles can form a polygon model - like in this quicktime movie:

http://digitallyconverted.com/movies/DC.mov.mov

krazeyhorse
07-18-2007, 04:08 AM
I don't think the animation is particles...well not entirely. Ask Michael Papagni?

Als
07-18-2007, 01:09 PM
Extract your polygon model, with separate faces and as separate object.
Create all of them to be rigid bodies but without collisions! (important, for speed)
Use some field to move them...
Do it backwards...
It might be intensive, so you might want to experiment with particles first.

I think also someone put mel script on highend to do this with particles on polygons,
so check that out.

I've done similar job with following steps:
Made small mel script to create curve on whatever is selected.
Selected faces and got mel script to find face center, then create curve based on these.
Created soft body out of curve, makes every curve point a particle.
Extracted all polygons.
Then made small script to move faces to particle positions.
It was slow, but it worked.

Hope it helps

Als

overEZ
07-18-2007, 04:25 PM
Als...if rigid bodies are used, where does using a goal fit in? I wasn't aware you could make a goal with rigid bodies...

Als
07-18-2007, 08:51 PM
As I said depends what you need to do. If polygons are coming from outside the screen you don't really need full on goal. You just dismantle polygons with fields, bake it, then play it backwards, or reverse timeline etc.
I've used particles to drive polygons, which game me more options but was a bit slow to do, since small mel script moved them each frame to particle position, but still worked.
You can also use ncloth to break polygons apart, but you have to extract them first without separating them into separate objects, with separate faces. This way the ncloth will break apart to polys. I started doing something like that with "goal" for ncloth, but client change their mind halfway, so I can't tell you much more.

Als

Als
07-18-2007, 10:08 PM
look at explode object thread!

Als

CGTalk Moderation
07-18-2007, 10:08 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.