PDA

View Full Version : CD on Body Printing.

digital_red
03-24-2003, 12:58 AM
Has anyone ever worked on audio CD on body printing?

I’m designing a cd package in for a band. So far the front cover and tray card haven’t been a problem.

The band has chosen a three colour scheme plus the silver from the cd.
The description from the printers for the cd body is to separate the 3 colours into pantone solid uncoated layers. Having never worked with pantone the colours look strange to me.

The black in the pantone picker looks more like grey! Does it print out darker than that?
I’m looking to use a dark red. But the pantone reds all look either pink or orange.

Has anyone had any experience with pantone colours and what they print like?

Ian Jones
03-24-2003, 10:01 AM
All these questions would be ideally directed to your printer. Basically because a computer monitor is projecting light, your high school science should tell you that it is 'additive colour', as opposed to 'subtractive' colour such as paint, is the cause of your confusion. This is the reason the pantone printed red will never look quite as red, bright and saturated as the red on a computer monitor. If you are in pantone colour mode in photoshop then it adapts the colours in an attempt (a poor attempt) to get as close to what the actual printed output will look like. Unfortunately this will just look plain weird, colours will appear incorrectly. This is different to how they will actually print out. Consult your printer and ask to see a pantone colour swatchbook, 'pantone uncoated' in your case. These swatchbooks will allow you to see the actual colours in real life as they print out allowing you to select the right ones.

Hope that helps.

digital_red
03-25-2003, 01:44 AM
I usually work in RGB colour space for video and 3d so pantone was all new to me.
Unfortunately the printers are located in London. About a 1½ hours drive from where I am. (It will cost more to drive there and back than the jobs worth!) But I’ll try some of the local printers to see if they have any pantone swatchbook’s.

Thanks Again
:thumbsup:

Ian Jones
03-26-2003, 12:25 PM
heh, np... I see you visited my site? Stats tell me this thread got me a hit.. :) heh.. just playing with this free webtracker I found... with my old site!

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.