PDA

View Full Version : After skinning!

bugo
03-23-2003, 11:13 PM
after skinning and putting bones, i really need to know if aI need to separate the head from the body to do the blend shape animation, like smiling and angry! can I do that without separating the head? Its a low polygon caracter and I dont want the neck with hard normal edges! need I to duplicate all the hole body?

If I need to separate, how can I do that without spliting vertices?

THX, sorry my english.

skigil
03-23-2003, 11:20 PM
keep the head on.

don't skin your character until after you have made all your blendshapes.

make all your blendshapes by duplicating your geometry over and over. deform them, create the blendshape.

once the blendshapes are done, bind your original geometry. then you have your binding and your blendshapes ;)

-skigil

bugo
03-23-2003, 11:24 PM
duplicating all the body?
thx for your answer! :)

flamedevil
03-24-2003, 08:50 PM
No you don't need to duplicate all the body.

Look in this thread, you should find some tips :

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48452

GrafOrlok
03-25-2003, 09:38 AM
To be sure that things work fine I would still suggest you copy the whole geometry. When you are satisfied with the blendshapes you can delete all the blendshape-geometry. Your scene is slick and clean and your blendshapes still works as a dream. You can still add new blendshapes.

I usually export all the Blendshape geometry and save it in another file if I ever need to redo the blendshape.

Also; you don't have to do the blendshapes prior to skinning. By default the blendshapes is put before skinning in the input list. If it doesn't, you can always change order manually.

bugo
03-25-2003, 06:24 PM
ok, but when I rotate a bone in the blend shaped face, the effect dont appear, why that? the two ways dont work together?

GrafOrlok
03-25-2003, 08:23 PM
I'm not following... Skinning and blendshapes should work together just fine. The only thing is if the blendshape node are put after the skin cluster node (in the input list) the geometry transforms back to the way the whole blendshape-model looks like, i.e in neutral bind pose. That's why it has to be in the front end of the chain.

bugo
03-25-2003, 10:10 PM
hmmmmmmm... ok, im kinda newb in that, how can i change this nodes?!

caulfield
03-26-2003, 07:38 AM
If you didn't want to make copies of the whole body, you could always try out wrap deformers. I've had a play with them, and they seem to work pretty well.

Basically, select the area you'd like to apply a blendshape to. Say it's a whole bunch of faces.

Duplicate those faces, and you'll end up with a serperate mesh of something like a shoulder or an ankle, or in your case, a face.

Select that small piece, and then the larger one, and apply as a wrap deformer. Now turn down the max influence to something really low like .01.

Now when you play with the shape of the small piece, the vertices of the large mesh will follow.

Make duplicates of the small piece, and use them as morph targets, and there you have it.

You can use a set driven key to drive these targets, so the rotation of a shoulder will drive the shape of the mesh, resulting in some kickass deformations.

GrafOrlok
03-26-2003, 08:14 AM
By right mouse klicking on your geo youll find the input pull down menu. Select "all inputs" and you'll have a list of all the inputs (same as the list under inputs in the channel box). Here you can middle mouse drag the different nodes to change the order. It seams that the list should be in this order:

*Skin Cluster
*Blend Shape
*Tweak

I could have sworn that the Blendshape node should be above the skin cluster node, maybe the list is inverted... Anyway, nowadays Maya puts them in the right order so you don't have to worry about in which order you do skinning and blendshapes as long as you use the "front of chain"-settings (default) in Create Blendshape.

And a suggestion; You get a lot of advanced tricky suggestions by posting a thread like this. If you're new to the topic, go for the easiest solution and learn the deal, get to know how it works. Thereafter go advanced:thumbsup:

bugo
04-05-2003, 12:21 AM
duuuudee, i got it, thanks!!!

caulfield
04-06-2003, 04:46 AM
What exactly did you get to work? What happened, and what did you end up with?

bugo
04-06-2003, 03:44 PM
Graf Orlok said that I need to go to input list from the object!
I made the order that he tell me to do and it worked!!!!

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.