PDA

View Full Version : dell xps m1330 or m1210 laptop for 3D?

Bourbon Thret
07-09-2007, 02:42 AM
hey all,

i'm looking at getting a new laptop. i am after a mix of portability and power.

i will be using 3ds max, vray, photoshop and after effects/combustion and premiere.

these dells are around the right price/size for me ($1700 - $1900 AUD)

XPS m1210
http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/xps_m1210?c=au&cs=audhs1&l=en&s=dhs

XPS m1330
http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/xpsnb_m1330?c=au&l=en&s=bsd&cs=aubsd1

so basically was wondering if anyone had any experience with these laptops and if there were any issues. i'll be plugging into larger monitor when working at home, but i like the smaller size so i can also watch movies on the bus/in bed and have it on my desk next to my dual monitors at work. i would also like to get cracking on a short film soon and hope that one of these lappies will be suitable to do the whole production on...

likely to go for the 2gig RAM option, not sure what other specs are worth upgrading...any thoughts there?

the 1210 seems very cool and quite powerful. but the new 1330 has just come out and seems ideal also. only problem is it only has vista where the 1210 has the XP option...

also, anyone know if there are any other 12 - 13 inch laptops out there at a similar price point (available in australia)?

thanks for all your help....

davegraham
07-09-2007, 01:38 PM
you can always downgrade to XP Pro (iirc) at Dell's website.

one thing you'll need to consider is that 2.5" drives in laptops are, for lack of a better way of putting it, extremely slow. (rotational speed and operational latency) and capacity limited. If you're going to be doing some premiere work (and doing comps, whatever) i'd recommend getting an external firewire drive with more capacity.

just my 2 cents.

out of the two above, i'd go with the 1330 with 2gb of ram.

cheers,

Dave

CGTalk Moderation
07-09-2007, 01:38 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.