PDA

View Full Version : WIP: Basilisk

Theropoda
07-08-2007, 05:04 PM
Hi,

I'm currently working on my diploma thesis, which is about Sculpting and Multiresolution Editing tools like ZBrush and Mudbox, and i'm also making a project to show the theory in practice.

I've decided to model a Basilisk, a legendary figure which appears in grecian and austrian myths. A Basilisk develops from an egg laid by a cock and then breed by a snake or a toad.
It is of such awfulness and ugliness that everyone who sees it turns to stone immediately. That's why one should come up to a Basilisk with a mirror, because when it sees itself, it also turns to stone or explodes.
It also has baneful breath.

There are plenty of depicions, most say that it has the head of a cock and the body of a snake, i have decided to draft my own version which has the body of a toad, the head of a cock, eye and tail of a snake:

http://home.arcor.de/dinosaurs3d/basilisk-skizze_001_web.jpg

That's the current state of my project, base mesh modeled in cinema, uvs laid out in bodypaint, then exported to zbrush for detailing. the textures are hand painted, mostly with photoshop, for the seams and things that should be exactly in place i used bodypaint (projection painting comes in very handy for texturing around the uv seams :))
The shader is a mixture of the map i've painted and shaders like fresnel, chanlum and translucent free.
What do you think about it so far?

Next step would be to add some feathers around the neck.
And do you have any suggestions for i scene i could place that creature in?

http://home.arcor.de/dinosaurs3d/c4d_014.jpg

GŁnter

Erik Heyninck
07-08-2007, 05:18 PM
I like it a lot.
And then follows the critique (hehe):

In my opinion, the basilisk seems oversaturated. It also has something of coming straight out of the frying pan.
So I personally would lower the saturation of the maps and, eventually, try out the Hue filter in that same dialog in photoshop.
Perhaps also a bit less shiny-specular and a tad more slimy-specular?
I also hope it does not have to be part of a horrorshow as it isn't frightening and it won't turn me into stone. And I don't smell anything.
Yes, I feel that with a bit more colour (greener perhaps?) but lower saturation it wou!d be even better.

Because (I repeat myself when under stress. dc) I really like it a lot. Modeling, displacement, inventivity, originality, it's all there. Good work!

basilisk
07-08-2007, 05:26 PM
I really feel I need to comment on this thread...

very nice model - I like the way the different animals merge into one. Any chance of seeing a low res wireframe?

Theropoda
07-08-2007, 05:40 PM
Thanks guys, i like that you like it ;-)

Erik, that's really funny. The original texture was greener actually, but i then shifted the hue a little bit more to red. Then i looked at the rendering that came out of cinema and thought, maybe i should turn up the saturation a bit.
And i guess that's just what i shouldn't have done ;-)
And yes, i should rework the specularity i think.

Here's the wire:

http://home.arcor.de/dinosaurs3d/basilisk_wire.gif

GŁnter

Rich-Art
07-08-2007, 05:55 PM
I like it. nice textures.

Peace,
Rich_Art. :thumbsup:

Erik Heyninck
07-08-2007, 07:25 PM
Never doubt yourself, man. Let the others take care of that for you.
Aha.

This said: my monitor is rather well calibrated, but most aren't.
It may well be that on some monitors this image begs for a bit of saturation.
Or is psycho-purple.

bobzilla
07-08-2007, 08:46 PM
Damndest thing I've ever seen!

Very nice job executing the whole combining of the different animals.

It does look a little saturated at my end, too. Maybe a little less spec, too. How about making the chicken parts a little more leathery? Right now they look like the same "material" as the frog parts.

As far as a scene, how about that one looking at another one that's turned to stone. "Finding a mate for a basiisk can be very difficult" :D

Looks like a challenge to rig and animate. Looking forward to more. Love all your work!

CGTalk Moderation
07-08-2007, 08:46 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.