PDA

View Full Version : Soccer Player, Cgeye (3D)

CgEye
03-23-2003, 07:16 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/8283/CgEye_kick_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/8283/CgEye_kick.jpg)

Hi there...

Here's something i worked on lately. I modelled it in 3DSMax 5.
The model is based on the look of David Beckham. It's not him exactly but it's supposed to ressemble his most recent look.

I didn't work on the soccer ball much, it's just a stand-in for another one with the Diadora design.

It's too bad i can't attach a higher res version, 'cause the limmit is 20kb :o

i'd love to hear some comments and opinions...

Psycholink
03-23-2003, 11:10 PM
Nice! :applause:
but you need change little soccer ball to look better or maybe you view low quality so..
can you post a wirefire?

JIII
03-23-2003, 11:51 PM
sweet model dude.

thats a nice pic, nothing wrong with it if thats the style your goin for.

runna
03-24-2003, 06:32 AM
Looks good, but mabe some more detail on the soccerball texture, some seams etc.

randalls
03-24-2003, 07:29 AM
Very nice work man. I will not say anything about the soccer ball, because you were going mainly for the character it self.
You did a great job with him, but he does not look like Beckam though. he hair and everything is great, but if you are truly going for a realistic look you will ahve to work on the face some more.
Great job!:buttrock:

Zmaster
03-24-2003, 07:33 AM
look very good but remake the soccer texture (add bump)

CgEye
03-24-2003, 06:05 PM
oh man..

i didn't want any comments on the ball 'cause i know it sucks and as i said it will be replaced entirely. it's an old model i made like 4 years ago...

but hey! thanx alot for your replies.

i didn't go for a realistic look at all, the aim was more like a cg look. so the textures aren't really complex.

i got to go now...

wireframe and more soon.. :)

CgEye
03-24-2003, 06:52 PM
http://www.rafiba.com/temp/wireframe2.jpg

CgEye
03-24-2003, 06:56 PM
Cool!!

i just learned how to put higher resolution files :)
it's a big step for ME anyway...

here r some more images of this character...

http://www.rafiba.com/temp/wireframe.jpg

http://www.rafiba.com/temp/thong.jpg

CgEye
03-24-2003, 10:11 PM
and here's the shoe...

http://www.rafiba.com/temp/shoe2.jpg

Jozvex
03-24-2003, 10:27 PM
That's all really great modelling!!

Capel
03-24-2003, 10:27 PM
Dude, how did you put such hi-res images on here with the 2000 byte limit? Please share! BTW: Awesome model! nice work:D

Jozvex
03-24-2003, 10:29 PM
He just used an image tag that links to a larger image on another/possibly his site.

Russ
03-24-2003, 10:32 PM
Good Work :applause: :applause:

the head is very expressive :thumbsup:

----------------------
See my Wip :
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44803

daniforever
03-24-2003, 10:39 PM
I wish to be fast enough to model a Ronaldo or Raul player right now to fight your one :)

Seriously, I like your work :applause:

Matt
03-24-2003, 10:41 PM
Good stuff man.

idvah
03-24-2003, 10:47 PM
I think the soccer ball needs some motion blur and some bump mapping. Great work, and awesome pose.

azazel
03-24-2003, 11:05 PM
Almost whole pic needs motion blur, especially legs and hands, and of course ball;), that should add some feeling of motion, now it's a bit still. And of course some more substantial background would be nice. Anyway, very nice, I like it :thumbsup:

SimonReeves
03-24-2003, 11:37 PM
wow he really looks like beckham with hes shaved head :thumbsup:

Eman597
03-24-2003, 11:41 PM
idvah, can you not read? the soccer ball is NOT the real one.

great picture, i love it

stupido
03-25-2003, 12:03 AM
I think the pose is a bit weird. His torso his set to hit the ball with his LEFT leg imo. Its a bicycle kick for his chest but his legs are doing an overhead kick.

But thats a great bit of modelling there.

edaddy
03-25-2003, 12:07 AM
why is everyone saying bad things about the ball ?!? - he clearly said TWICE that it is only a 'stand in' and will be replaced w/ a better one - come on ppl .. .. . . ... CgEye; i like the look the character has going, he's obviously not photorealistic, but he's very stylized and i like that - nice action pose too - and your texturing is great, espescially on the shoes. azazel makes a good point, put some motion blur on him and post another pic

draconix
03-25-2003, 12:23 AM
I like the pic, not familiar with soccar so I'm not sure about the validity of the pose and such. Looking forward to seeing it with the real ball substituted.

teknotek83
03-25-2003, 12:32 AM
awesome stuff. but one thing that i'm seeing too often in CG works is that the mouth is never open. a prime example is in the FF X-2 trailer fmv's where yuna's shooting whille in mid-air. there's hardly an expression on her face. considering that she's trying to kill something, wouldn't she at least look pissed or scared that she's falling? as for your work, don't you think that his mouth should be slightly opened? just nit-picking. like i said-awesome work!

just do 3d
03-25-2003, 01:25 AM
I know a lot of our buddies that dont live in europe may not know what David beckham looks like but I can say you have made an uncanny resemblence, sure it's a little cg looking but you have the model, texturing will add the stubble etc. I would like to see him in a stadium setting with all the flood lights. Proffesional footballers dont do too many bicycle/scissor kicks in practise to prevent injury. great work :buttrock:

T0MMY
03-25-2003, 01:43 AM
Nice work.

Now how about a angry fergie in the back throwing boots at him?! :thumbsup:

aazimkhan
03-25-2003, 02:30 AM
nice model man....

its just the project i am gearing to work on. I am starting work on a short soccer animation...game cinematic style - music based.

I have started work on model the stadium....cloth tests for goal nets...etc...i`ll begin modeling the soccer player soon...your model is a good inspriration!

cool work...

Michael Chen
03-25-2003, 05:20 AM
Nice pose :)

Anyway who's David Beckham? (soccer player?)

Is he really famous?

fango
03-25-2003, 05:27 AM
that s beckham allright !! :bounce:

D.Q
03-25-2003, 05:54 AM
I have to say I don't like the way the pants look.Other than that is great.Keep on your good work!

fango
03-25-2003, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by edaddy
why is everyone saying bad things about the ball ?!? - he clearly said TWICE that it is only a 'stand in' and will be replaced w/ a better one - come on ppl .. .. . . ...

on a side note edaddy, have you noticed this is happenning a lot lately on the boards ? posters just don t read anymore, like when someone posts a model and clearly states it's a modeling job, responses go like "will you texture him ? will you animate him" and so on. weird.

mindrot
03-25-2003, 07:17 AM
great action shot...

Something seems a bit off with his left knee. The way it is bent seems a bit rubbery.... :hmm:

piajartist
03-25-2003, 07:42 AM
Love the leopard thong, nice angle of the soccer player kicking.

dragonz
03-25-2003, 07:50 AM
i like the shoes, really well done.

Great "action" <---a boog way to describe methinks

Chaos Maximus
03-25-2003, 08:07 AM
hey,

it looks really nice,

i need to comment on some of the other things i have seen in this post.

first, this is his work and part of that is deciding what it will be, its obviously not realitic, ex. there isnt ground . and there doesnt need to be motion blur, if thats what it wants, its somthing differnet to see this kind of sharp snaphot in time, you dont see that in reality.

not as aggresivly... i think its fine without a surrounding, i dont think it needs to be surrounded by a whole game.

i really just think stuff like this is up to the artist.

i agree the pants look a little funny, to thin mabey, you may want to use solidfy on them, that would help with that.

if you havent seen it, yes i read the posts so i know you are planing on ralacing the ball, there is a tutorial at http://www.suurland.com/ which yields verrry nice results, in 2 hours or so, very real looking. hope it helps and i dont mean to be a pain

have fun, good luck

-JT-
03-25-2003, 08:58 AM
Great work !!
But you shouldn't say that it's beckam if it's a job for diadora, you could get sued.... of course i guess it's ok if it's personnal. :)

And how did you do the hair ?

JBoskma
03-25-2003, 09:28 AM
awesome....:thumbsup:

mickatt
03-25-2003, 10:04 AM
very nice work !!!
especially the face and the cloth...

tauism
03-25-2003, 11:09 AM
David beckham is a very famous football player from England.
Didn't you watch the worldcup? He is absolutely adored in Japan.

but i think he is a bit overhyped

p.s - this is a reply to the guy who asked who beckham was

fango
03-25-2003, 11:13 AM
i think the movie bent it like beckham just came out in the US if you re interested, english comedy (fun and groovy.) :p

lildragon
03-25-2003, 12:00 PM
Incredible work here bud, I really love the illustrative look you achieved. When you have the ball finished send me the update pic so I can update that in the gallery :)

You have received the CGtalk choice award .Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Incredible work.

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame (http://gallery.cgtalk.com) - which you are now placed

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/cgtalk_award_mar03_2.jpg

P.S. Please email me @ tito@cgnetworks.com for the award .psd file

salud

noktUp
03-25-2003, 01:06 PM
This looks bad ass!!!!!
The only thing i notice... it doesnt feel like there is enough power in the hand pose's.
but other then that....... :beer:
f-ing bad ass!

phoenix2k
03-25-2003, 01:47 PM
wow.. congrats 9on the award :)... great job you did there ... :)

lildragon
03-25-2003, 02:22 PM
Oh yeah, don't forget some motion blur ;) for that added realism ;)

good job

salud

CgEye
03-25-2003, 06:03 PM
wow, thanx everyone.

First of all, i wanna thank my parrents for having me and everyone who supproted me throgh the years.... :))

just kidding, thanx a lot Lildragon for the award :)

Eman597, edaddy and fango - thanx for fighting my battle against the soccer ball comments :thumbsup:

aazimkhan - good luck with your work...

more issues that came up...

1. the hair is made by 12 patches with opacity and color maps i made in photoshop, i was really surprised by the fast and satisfying results of this technique. i really thought alot about how to aproach the hair.

2. i don't think i'll add motion blur, actually what someone said here about the pose being wierd is true. the kick is supposed to come from the left leg in this kind of kick, but the client was really happy with this pose so what the heck :))
maybe i'll change it for my own sake.

3. the work is not for Diadora but for a local company that got the rights to use their name. it's a risk i'm willing to take. keep a low profile for me :p

Lildragon, i'll update the thread with a better looking ball soon...
thanx again.

taverns3
03-27-2003, 03:10 AM
i think it's good work, and how many more people are gonna say something about the ball??? that's annoying. plus i think it totally looks like Beckham. cheers, tav

ZVAN
04-07-2003, 05:29 PM
greaT! and with all those wires, im convinced! greaT!:bounce:

leopard_return
08-04-2005, 01:49 PM
Absolutly fantastic design ..

David Beckham as u'll never c.

n his underwear !!!

nice

dahoo0810
09-22-2005, 02:32 PM
Very nice, maybe you could add more muscles to give him a more athletic look. I think the hair is great, it gives the piece more movement because its as if its moving as he moves. Great modeling overall!

CgEye
09-23-2005, 07:39 AM
Thanx for the reply! it's been a while since i did this piece , so i guess changing anything is out of the question :P
glad you liked it...

CGTalk Moderation
09-23-2005, 07:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.