PDA

View Full Version : Blender Movie Download

SKPjason
03-23-2003, 07:03 PM
Howdy.

Have a 1/2 hour cartoon made with Blender. Follow the link to download a copy. Lemme know what you think, I'd appreciate it. :)

http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10237

Jason Saville
Earth

paradox
03-23-2003, 09:50 PM
Brialliant. From what I saw the uncompressed version is surely increadable. You are to be congradulated for persisting with this to completion. Well done.
Paradox

Apollux
03-24-2003, 04:39 AM
This work is worth of becomming a permanet member of the CGgallery here.... Inspiring would be my choice if I was asked for one word to describe it.

I know you couldn't forsee the present global situation when you started it, but is for sure that the message couldn't be more apropiate for nowadays leaders.

WAO!!!

Could you give us some technical details? .Blend file size?
Secenes used?
rendering times?

:bowdown:

Apollux
03-24-2003, 04:44 AM
Man, you should post it on the finished work section :thumbsup:

SKPjason
03-24-2003, 06:15 AM
Appoloux:

The entire movie was rendered with Blender on a Dell Dimension XPS T600r with P3 600 mhz, 128 megs of ram. (In other words a basic home computer) I had done work for it over the course of a year in spare time... but in late January I decided to re-render the whole thing to incporate a different visual style... So in fact, the footage you saw was done over a 7 week period, tho I did research and devlopment for a while...

Blend files... hmmm... there are hundreds... all together probably about 25 gigs worth.

Final Rendered Images totaled about 80 gigs...

I did use a Gateway computer with 1 gig of ram, 2.6 ghz p4 for the final video edit (one week for video edit, one week for sound mix) - tho again... I had done several versions over the past year.

I managed to keep render times down by employing "cheats" where I could... such as re-using certain background plates (but "flopping" them - or changing color) Or rendering still images and "animating" them instead of doing true 3-d render. Or using textures to cover up for low-poly models... etc. etc.

The whole production was an attempt by me as a personal proff-of-concept that home computers have become powerful enough to create whatever vision you can imagine... and in that vein... even the dialogue was recorded with a cheapo computer mic straight to hard drive...

Well... I probably provided much more information than you really needed... OK... I did... sorry... ;)

Jason Saville
Earth

Apollux
03-24-2003, 06:45 AM
80 Gigabytes!!.. that 's got to hurt!!!

If you decide to re-edit the video here a some thought that may improve it a little.

A.- Better video quality (I take that after rendering 80 Gb you know all the ins and outs of video compression, so why not a higher quallity version? I for sure will wait with gusto for the download)

B.- Cut the credits, only the name and the very basics at the beginning, the others at the end.

Man, I just started to work on a very short space themed film.... (main character is 90% complete, main transport ship is 85% complete) so I know from first hand how difficult is to make such a movie as yours.

You where seen Space Odisey 2001 and 2010 quite a few times while working on this movie, I can tell. :thumbsup:

SKPjason
03-24-2003, 06:57 AM
Appollux:

Got a 200 meg divx version coming soon... Hopefully should have a copy on paid 250free.com site within a day or two... as well as a mirror on a friend's site... this version is a lot better... And I at least got to include a stereo soundtrack with ths version.

Higher quality is a pain just because of filesizes...

I stuck the credits at beginning as a kind of cheat... I submitted this to the Siggraph Animation Festival (hoping it gets accepted - but it probably wont) and part of their rules was that the "ending" credits could NOT be longer than 7 second... so... well.. ;)

Hahaha about 2001 and 2010 reference... my wife and I have watched the dvd's quite a lot recently...

BTW... the original cut of this crappy film was about 2 hours... again, because I'm trying to get it into festival... I did this half-hour version instead. The 2 hour version I'll release on small-run press DVD... I think I have a good shot at packaging this as a "video" graphic novel and selling a few hundred copies in independant comic book shops... Some of the things I've cooked up for dvd would really play into a niche market like that... and I may make enough money to pay a month or two of rent... ;)

BgDM
03-24-2003, 09:28 PM
Dude, as I said on elysiun, absolutley great stuff. You ahould be commended for your vision, perseverance and great work.

Now light up a fatty for your self. You deserve it.

BgDM

SKPjason
03-25-2003, 08:46 AM
BgDM

Thanks again for the comments... BTW... just a note... I did include a "pot intermission" in movie... right after "God" speaks there's a mellow one minute montage... this should give enough time to spark up a fatty and get ready for the Twilight Zone conclusion. :)

Apollux
03-25-2003, 11:16 PM
One question regarding the plot: What destroyed the earth?

SKPjason
03-26-2003, 02:46 AM
Man. :)

Apollux
03-26-2003, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by SKPjason
Man. :)

:shrug: I know it was humankind who destroyed the planet during some kind of war conflic... I mean WHAT/HOW/WHO destroyed the planet?

SKPjason
03-26-2003, 03:28 AM
Appollux... hehe

Actually - the answer to that will be found in the second and third installment I've been working on... They should be ready by summer... (tho they are NOT a part of the small run dvd release I'm working on with 2 hour TLO movie - I cut it to a half hour to try an submit to some animation festivals). With my plan to market this as a graphic novel in small comic shops... I think it would be best to have a three "issue" run of this story... and considering the next storylines span over a billion years ;) I think it should be a fairly interesting... if annoyingly esoteric fare...

I'm working again on getting some more places to host larger divx file... by Sunday - it should be up on three sites... plus I'll try to get some on Kazaa...

I went broke in one day paying for bandwidth on divx file... so if anyone else wants to help host file... I'd appreciate it...

Jason Saville
EARTH

Apollux
03-26-2003, 03:34 AM
So far, how are the critics treating the film?

SKPjason
03-26-2003, 03:38 AM
Hmm... I can't really say... some like it... some hate it... some dont like this or that... some would have done things different...

In the end... I did it for myself. I like it... it's cool to watch on bigscreen TV with massive stereo speakers while stoned out of my gourd on pot. :)

Apollux
03-26-2003, 03:46 AM
Cool.. the felling of self-realization.

Rest asured that you will be one of the first persons to see my sort film when it is ready (I calculate 6 months from now, I'm super slow at modeling and with a freak's passion for tinny details) ;)

SKPjason
03-26-2003, 05:05 AM
Thanks pal... I can't wait to see your opus.

I wish I could obsess over little details... but I find lately that my blendering needs to be done in quick short spurts... so I invariably find some "cheat" to make things look more complex than they really are... perhaps down the road I'll post some of the blend files I used for movie... to illustrate this concept.

I usually find modeling a quick chore because of my cheats... I usually spend more time on the lighting and camera work... that's what hogs up my time...

Oh well... thanks so very much for your interest in my dung-movie. I DO appreciate it... sometimes it's cool to "connect" with someone about a piece of "art" ;)

Jason

BTW - NEW HIGHER-RES DIVX VERSION IS NOW AVAILABLE - CHECK FIRST POST FOR LINK

Bapsis
03-26-2003, 07:29 AM
Awesome!!!

I've been waiting to see that for a long while, and it was worth the wait, you did a great job!!!
I also got to watch it like 15 mins after my cousin burnt a big fat one of wicked sticky skunk, so it was enjoyed that much more!!!

Matt

SKPjason
03-26-2003, 07:51 AM
hehehehehe

Thank you for watching the movie the way I intended... ;)

Bapsis... that comments means a lot coming from you... I've admired your work for quite a while. You Da Man!

Jason

Bapsis
03-29-2003, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by SKPjason
hehehehehe

Thank you for watching the movie the way I intended... ;)

Bapsis... that comments means a lot coming from you... I've admired your work for quite a while. You Da Man!

Jason

I didnt even know I had any admirers of my work, and im pretty sure you were already awesome at Blender when i started using it and joined the old community. So, i was pretty impressed when i heard you admired my work!!! :)

So thanks, you definatly pumped up my ego alot today!!! hehe :)

Matt

Apollux
03-30-2003, 09:55 PM
SKP, the hi-resolution version isn't uploaded anywhere yet?

SKPjason
04-17-2003, 11:38 AM
Appolux... there are a few links to the high res version available... as well as instructions on how to more easily download off a newsgroup...

Xaint
04-24-2003, 10:12 PM
SKPjason - Could you post a couple of screen shots? I have a slow connection.:rolleyes:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.