PDA

View Full Version : recreate specific boolean operation

Katzenminze
07-06-2007, 11:35 PM
Hey guys, once more I'm stuck at following a modeling tutorial :)

I hope you can/will help my again !

I'm trying to model this: http://www.3dtotal.com/team/Tutorials/computer_case/computer_03.asp

I'm stuck at image 2-4 ! He says "just use boolean operation" if I do so in blender I will not get the same result as he does^^

Tried every possible combo : Intersect,Union,Difference on either the computer->cylinder or cylinder -> computer! neither version worked!

How can I recreate this function? :)

Please help me !

thx!

Katzenminze
07-07-2007, 01:19 AM
anybody? please? ^^ Im kinda stuck here.... but ill got to bed now its quite late, ill wait for your replies! (desperatly)

scrimski
07-07-2007, 01:31 AM
Stay away from boolean operations(and those ^^ crap) when you can model such simple shapes like round holes. Booelan operations usually mess up your mesh which causes unwanted deformations when subdividing or smoothing.
Just create a cylinder at the wished diameter and height, delete the top and bottom and flip the normals. All you have to do from then on is connecting the edges with the rest of your model.

fktt
07-07-2007, 12:34 PM
well, try to use the bolean, and then try to clean up your model after-wards.. ^_^''
i think for following a tutorial its manageable, but indeed, i wouldnt use the blenders boolean in a production enviroment before the BMesh is finished :p

Katzenminze
07-07-2007, 03:14 PM
hey skrimsky, I followd your method but im stuck^^
i created the cylinder, positioned it, deleted the caps and flipped the normals using ctr+shift+n ok?
but how do i "simply" connect the cylinder with my base mesh? ^^ cant figure it out!

Katzenminze
07-07-2007, 03:15 PM
and sorry for missspelling your name so badly^^ im kinda tired^^

fktt
07-07-2007, 03:24 PM
select the edges you want to bridge and use f

Katzenminze
07-07-2007, 03:27 PM
ok thats an option^^ but I dont have 2 edges to connect you know? I got my PC tower and the cylinder but the pc tower doesnt have any vertices "free" to connect to?!
i hope its clear what I mean

fktt
07-07-2007, 03:30 PM
first try to connect as many faces as you can and then delete the old faces that you dont need anymore.. =.=

well, i know i can be little har to understand sometimes, so if you didnt understand what i meant then feel free to upload your blend and ill try to make a screencapture or something using it..

Katzenminze
07-07-2007, 03:36 PM
hey fktt, im sorry i didnt understand you^^

here is my blendfile:

http://download.yousendit.com/9BBBBEA86F8E4A19

maybe you can sort things out for me :)

i really appreciate your time and effort! THX

fktt
07-07-2007, 03:37 PM
ok ^^'' ill see what i can do :p

Katzenminze
07-07-2007, 04:59 PM
and one more question how do I actualle apply a lathe or spin modifier to to a spline curve? cant figure it out by myself :(

fktt
07-07-2007, 05:06 PM
heh, ok, ill add that into the screen capture then do, but for now, i just made a socket to know where to go when recording, for now, here you go, its your file and so, feel free to study the tweakes ive made:

http://www.filefactory.com/file/41ae3a/

as for the reason the boolean modifier didnt work... :D you have to create the cilinder as a sepparate object!

Katzenminze
07-07-2007, 05:13 PM
ah oki kinda figure it out :) thanks a lot buddy :)

can you help me out with the problem about the lathe extrusion? is there a way at all to do it inblender? i thought it's quite common technique!

fktt
07-07-2007, 05:24 PM
lathe extrusion? do you mean like that each face is extruded sepparated? or what? im stumped on that one, im afraid :sad:

Katzenminze
07-07-2007, 05:29 PM
nono i dont know how its calledinblender^^ i mean eg. i want to create a wine glass ok? in 3smax for example I create a curve (bezie or whatever) and then I apply a lathe modifier that takes this curve, spins it by 360 and creates faces every step so you get a nice clean mesh from this curve!

Katzenminze
07-07-2007, 05:37 PM
here is an example of what Im trying to achieve!

http://www.m3corp.com/a/tutorials/glassmax.htm

fktt
07-07-2007, 05:43 PM
bah, as i sayed ill throw it in the screen capture then, but just a FYI its called spin in blender, and no, its not a modifier.. :D

http://wiki.blender.org/uploads/0/02/Reference-Panels-Mesh-Tools.png

see if you can find the spin from the image(image linked from wiki.blender.org)

Katzenminze
07-07-2007, 05:56 PM
hey, i saw that image in the wiki too but I actually cant find that specific window in my blender interface?! how do i get there? (F9) but then?

Katzenminze
07-07-2007, 05:58 PM
nevermind, i already found it :)

but it only appeared as i selected a curve-mesh
not when I selected my self made curve?!

Katzenminze
07-07-2007, 06:02 PM
h,mmm still no luck?! maybe theres something wrong in the procedure ill try to use

spacebar-> add -> curve-> bezier curve -> ctrl+lmb = add verices -> select all
but there is no mesh edit menu, do I have to convert the spline first?

fktt
07-07-2007, 06:39 PM
why not to just use subD mesh?

CGTalk Moderation
07-07-2007, 06:39 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.